sharing my project "Wikipedia Cultural Diversity Observatory" / grant application

sharing my project "Wikipedia Cultural Diversity Observatory" / grant application

Marc Miquel
Hello everyone,

My name is Marc Miquel and I am a researcher from Barcelona (Universitat
Pompeu Fabra).

While I was doing my PhD I studied whether an identity-based motivation
could be important for editor participation and I analyzed content
representing the editors' cultural context in 40 Wikipedia language
editions.

Few months later, I propose creating the *Wikipedia Cultural Diversity
Observatory* in order to raise awareness on Wikipedia’s current state of
cultural diversity, providing datasets, visualizations and statistics, and
pointing out solutions to improve intercultural coverage.

I am presenting this project to a grant and I expect that the site becomes
a useful tool to help communities create more multicultural encyclopaedias
and bridge the content culture gap that exists across language editions.

Here is the link of the project proposal:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Wikipedia_Cultural_Diversity_Observatory_(WCDO)

If you like the project, I'd ask you to endorse it. In any case, I will
appreciate any feedback, comments,... Of course, you are invited to become
participants, as there will be the need for users in the testing part.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Best regards,

Marc Miquel
Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona

Re: sharing my project "Wikipedia Cultural Diversity Observatory" / grant application

Jonathan Morgan
Thanks for sharing this, Marc. I've endorsed the project overall (as a
volunteer, not staff), but also described some concerns/considerations with
some aspects of the proposal on the talk page.

Cheers,
Jonathan

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 6:33 AM, Marc Miquel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> My name is Marc Miquel and I am a researcher from Barcelona (Universitat
> Pompeu Fabra).
>
> While I was doing my PhD I studied whether an identity-based motivation
> could be important for editor participation and I analyzed content
> representing the editors' cultural context in 40 Wikipedia language
> editions.
>
> Few months later, I propose creating the *Wikipedia Cultural Diversity
> Observatory* in order to raise awareness on Wikipedia’s current state of
> cultural diversity, providing datasets, visualizations and statistics, and
> pointing out solutions to improve intercultural coverage.
>
> I am presenting this project to a grant and I expect that the site becomes
> a useful tool to help communities create more multicultural encyclopaedias
> and bridge the content culture gap that exists across language editions.
>
> Here is the link of the project proposal:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Wikipedia_
> Cultural_Diversity_Observatory_(WCDO)
>
> If you like the project, I'd ask you to endorse it. In any case, I will
> appreciate any feedback, comments,... Of course, you are invited to become
> participants, as there will be the need for users in the testing part.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time!
> Best regards,
>
> Marc Miquel
> Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona
> ᐧ

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
Wikimedia Foundation
User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Re: sharing my project "Wikipedia Cultural Diversity Observatory" / grant application

Marc Miquel
Thanks for your endorsement and feedback. It is very useful. :)
I'll reply on the talk page.

Cheers,
Marc