show index number in body of wiki page

gordonisnz
(this is for a private wiki - not wikipedia.org )

At the top of a wiki page, it automatically creates a table of
content. But when you go down the page. it just shows the
titles/headings in bold. But no 'number' is created automatically.

do you know how to make it display the item number ?

EG :- (table of contents)

1. Heading A
2. Heading B
 2.1. HeadingC
 2.2. HeadingD

when you go down the screen & read the content, it only shows

Heading A

(content here)

Heading B

(content here)

HeadingC

(content here)

HeadingD

(content here)

is there a way to show the numbers  automatically ? - If i manually
add numbers in - It will also show up in the table of contents
(twice):-

2.2  HeadingD

(content here)

--

Gordon.

Changing the world one gift at a time
Auckland North Shore Freecycle - New Zealand
http://www.freecycle.org/

Re: show index number in body of wiki page

Peter Coombe
My preferences > Appearance > Advanced options > Auto-number headings

To set this on by default for anonymous and new users, add the
following to LocalSettings.php:
$wgDefaultUserOptions['numberheadings'] = 1;

To change it for existing users, looks like you'll have to run
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:UserOptions.php

Pete / the wub

On 7 October 2012 01:08, Gordon Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (this is for a private wiki - not wikipedia.org )
>
> At the top of a wiki page, it automatically creates a table of
> content. But when you go down the page. it just shows the
> titles/headings in bold. But no 'number' is created automatically.
>
> do you know how to make it display the item number ?
>
> EG :- (table of contents)
>
> 1. Heading A
> 2. Heading B
>  2.1. HeadingC
>  2.2. HeadingD
>

> when you go down the screen & read the content, it only shows
>

> Heading A
>
> (content here)
>
> Heading B
>
> (content here)
>
> HeadingC
>
> (content here)
>
> HeadingD
>
> (content here)
>
> is there a way to show the numbers  automatically ? - If i manually
> add numbers in - It will also show up in the table of contents
> (twice):-
>
> 2.2  HeadingD
>
> (content here)
>

> --
>
> Gordon.
>
> Changing the world one gift at a time
> Auckland North Shore Freecycle - New Zealand
> http://www.freecycle.org/

Re: show index number in body of wiki page

gordonisnz
On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Peter Coombe
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> My preferences > Appearance > Advanced options > Auto-number headings
>
> To set this on by default for anonymous and new users, add the
> following to LocalSettings.php:
> $wgDefaultUserOptions['numberheadings'] = 1;
>
> To change it for existing users, looks like you'll have to run
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:UserOptions.php

Ah - So we can't set this on a per-page setting ? (wiki code ?)

I'm able to edit / add  pages - But I'm not a system administrator &
most of our pages do not need auto-numbering.

(the page I'm looking at / wanting - is quite long, & lots of sections in it...)

is there a place where we can add suggestions ? - could be useful on a
per-page setting. IE "turnnumberson" command ?

On 7 October 2012 12:02, Gordon Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Peter Coombe
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> My preferences > Appearance > Advanced options > Auto-number headings
>>
>> To set this on by default for anonymous and new users, add the
>> following to LocalSettings.php:
>> $wgDefaultUserOptions['numberheadings'] = 1;
>>
>> To change it for existing users, looks like you'll have to run
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:UserOptions.php
>
> Ah - So we can't set this on a per-page setting ? (wiki code ?)
>
> I'm able to edit / add  pages - But I'm not a system administrator &
> most of our pages do not need auto-numbering.
>
> (the page I'm looking at / wanting - is quite long, & lots of sections in it...)
>

> is there a place where we can add suggestions ? - could be useful on a
> per-page setting. IE "turnnumberson" command ?

There's an extension to do this on a per-page basis:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MagicNumberedHeadings
Doesn't seem to have been updated in a while, but it should still work.

Unfortunately if you can't install extensions, I think you're out of
luck. It would certainly be nice to have this functionality in core,
given that the user preference is a core feature.

Pete / the wub