site map

jdd

site map

jdd
Hello :-)

Do you know of any mean to build a sitemap on a mediawiki
(other than by hand)?

Wikipedia sent me to simple map, but this one I can't make
work (I have no admin access and the wget site don't works)

even a partial help could be nice, I don't need frequent
updates,

thanks
jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net
jdd

Re: site map

jdd
jdd wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> Do you know of any mean to build a sitemap on a mediawiki
> (other than by hand)?

I advance :-)

using wget to download the site and tree to make a map (with
grep to filter out all the edit links), I get an html page
with a sitemap reasonably working.

but they are hmtl links... and I would like to have a wiki
page :-(

is there a way to copy the html page into the wiki with the
good links (import don't accept the page)

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

Re: site map

Tim Doyle-2
Jdd:

Go to Special Pages and select Export pages and type in the name of any page
on your wiki and export it. Once the file has been exported, open it with
your favorite editor and view the additional formatting before and after the
contents of the page. If you can add similar content before and after the
contents of your page (and convert your page from HTML to wiki-style), you
should be able to use the Import Pages feature to read in your page. You can
re-import as well, so this process should work in keeping your site map up
to date.

Note that this import/export process seems to work better in Internet
Explorer - I have not had good luck in Firefox.

Tim

jdd

Re: site map

jdd
Tim Doyle wrote:

> Jdd:
>
> Go to Special Pages and select Export pages and type in the name of any page
> on your wiki and export it. Once the file has been exported, open it with
> your favorite editor and view the additional formatting before and after the
> contents of the page. If you can add similar content before and after the
> contents of your page (and convert your page from HTML to wiki-style), you
> should be able to use the Import Pages feature to read in your page. You can
> re-import as well, so this process should work in keeping your site map up
> to date.
>
> Note that this import/export process seems to work better in Internet
> Explorer - I have not had good luck in Firefox.

well, I tryed it. mozilla gives an awfull display, but the
saved file is very well displayed by gvim :-)

so this may be a solution for having nice page layout
(carriage return).

but my main problem is precisely translating the <a> tags to
mediawiki system.

I'm nearly sure that somebody already wrote a script to do
that, but is it available anywhere?

if not I may do, but I'm very busy and this will be delayed :-)

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net
Fxp

Re: site map

Fxp

I thought that in the maintenance folder, there was a
"generatesitemap.php" file.

If not in your version, check on latest version.

François

jdd wrote:

> Hello :-)
>
> Do you know of any mean to build a sitemap on a mediawiki
> (other than by hand)?
>
> Wikipedia sent me to simple map, but this one I can't make
> work (I have no admin access and the wget site don't works)
>
> even a partial help could be nice, I don't need frequent
> updates,
>
> thanks
> jdd

Re: site map

Aaron Sherman
On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 18:27 +0100, jdd wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> Do you know of any mean to build a sitemap on a mediawiki
> (other than by hand)?

Well I use this Perl "one liner" to map, that uses graphviz to visualize
the connectivity of Categories:

(echo "digraph G {";echo 'aspect="1"';perl -MLWP::Simple -le '$n="Toplevel category name";$base="http://www.yourwiki.com/yourwikibase";sub trans {local $_=shift;s/([^ :.\-\w])/sprintf "%%%2X",ord($1)/egi;s/ /_/g;return $_}sub untrans {local $_=shift;s/_/ /g;s/\%([a-f0-9]{2})/chr(hex("0x".$1))/egi;$_}push @pages,$n;while($p=shift @pages){$w="$base/Category:".trans($p);print STDERR $w;sleep 1;$h=get($w);while($h=~/href=\"[^\"]*\bCategory:\s*([^\"\#\?\&]+)[\?\#\"]/g){$n=untrans($1);push(@{$point{$n}},$p),push(@pages,$n) unless $seen{$n}++ || $all{"$n==$p"}++ || $all{"$p==$n"};}}foreach $p (sort keys %point){print qq{"$_" -> "$p"} foreach @{$point{$p}}}';echo "}") | tee YOURWIKI.dot | dot -Tpng > YOURWIKI.png

>From that I get:
http://www.ajs.com/ajswiki/Image:AJSWIKI.png

Of course, it's just a visual map, but you can use this concept to come
up with a map that's more interactive if you like.

--
Aaron Sherman <[hidden email]>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith

Re: site map

Aaron Sherman
On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 16:17 -0500, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 18:27 +0100, jdd wrote:
> > Hello :-)
> >
> > Do you know of any mean to build a sitemap on a mediawiki
> > (other than by hand)?
>
> Well I use this Perl "one liner" to map, that uses graphviz to visualize
> the connectivity of Categories:

I played around with it, and found some really fun things graphviz can
do. I now have an SVG map of my site that Firefox can actually browse:

http://www.ajs.com/~ajs/AJSWIKI.svg

Here's the even bigger, better one-liner:

(echo "digraph G {";echo 'ratio=0.6';perl -MLWP::Simple -le '$n="Your top-level category name";$base="http://www.yourwiki.com/wiki";sub trans {local $_=shift;s/([^ :.\-\w])/sprintf "%%%2X",ord($1)/egi;s/ /_/g;return $_}sub untrans {local $_=shift;s/_/ /g;s/\%([a-f0-9]{2})/chr(hex("0x".$1))/egi;$_}push @pages,$n;while($p=shift @pages){$w="$base/Category:".trans($p);$seen{$p}=1;print STDERR $w;$h=get($w);sleep 1;while($h=~/href=\"[^\"]*\bCategory:\s*([^\"\#\?\&]+)[\?\#\"]/g){$n=untrans($1);next if $all{"$n==$p"}++ || $all{"$p==$n"}++;push(@{$point{$n}},$p);push(@pages,$n) unless $seen{$n}}}foreach $p (sort keys %point){$u="$base/Category:".trans($p);print qq{"$p" [ URL="$u" ]};print qq{"$_" -> "$p"} foreach @{$point{$p}}}';echo "}") | tee YOURWIKI.dot | dot -Tsvg > YOURWIKI.svg

You could, of course, generate this from the database directly much
faster.

--
Aaron Sherman <[hidden email]>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith
"We had some good machines, but they don't work no more." -Shriekback

jdd

Re: site map

jdd
FxParlant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought that in the maintenance folder, there was a
> "generatesitemap.php" file.
>
> If not in your version, check on latest version.

I just installed the 1.5.7 (last stable) version, and no
generatesitemap.php file.

and I don't really mind using 1.6 :-(

(by the fact: is there any release roadmap? I don't see it)

and

I'm not the server admin (only wiki sysop), so I may be able
to ask for running a php script, but not for twiking with
perl :-(

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

Re: site map

Iliya Kuznetsov
I just got generateSitemap.php from cvs and included it into my 1.5.6 package (maintenance folder). Now it done correctly, I started it trough cron every hour. But date format isn't ISO8601-compatible "out-of-the-box" and drug for that was published in this list (perhaps now cvs-version has good date format).

--
Cybernetic Humanoid Used for Mathematics and Potential Assassination
[hidden email]                                       icq 122393064

Re: site map

david cuthbertson
Hi,
I am desperately holding my breath for more sitemap
info :)
My wiki is hosted as well so I am not sure I can run
perl scripts either, though as a mediawiki/mysql/php
newbie, even if I could I don't yet know how! The
*.png category map looked superb - so if each of the
named categories-subcategories were mapped links...
;-)Sadly the scalable vector graphics map didn't
degrade gracefully under IE6 - I will try again later
this evening with Firefox on my Linux machine.
Cheers,
David

Re: site map

Aaron Sherman
On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 15:30 +0000, david cuthbertson wrote:

> Hi,
> I am desperately holding my breath for more sitemap
> info :)
> My wiki is hosted as well so I am not sure I can run
> perl scripts either, though as a mediawiki/mysql/php
> newbie, even if I could I don't yet know how! The
> *.png category map looked superb - so if each of the
> named categories-subcategories were mapped links...
> ;-)Sadly the scalable vector graphics map didn't
> degrade gracefully under IE6 - I will try again later
> this evening with Firefox on my Linux machine.

I think that graphviz will do that, but you have to figure out how to
use the image-map output mode. I don't have time to play with it now,
but if I do, I'll let the list know.

The only hard part is figuring out exactly what you want to map (e.g. by
pulling it from the database or traversing the site), after that it's
pretty easy to massage the data into graphviz format and generate an
image. The circular output mode is also worth looking at, though for my
site it seems to have underwhelming results.

http://www.graphviz.org/

is the site for the visualization tool, and of course:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphviz

has some info as well.