someone after non-active admin accounts

Abigail Brady-2
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wp freedom fighter <[hidden email]>
Date: Sun, May 10, 2009 at 1:14 PM
Subject: Wikipedia e-mail
To: Morwen <[hidden email]>

Dear X,

We notice you haven't edited Wikipedia for some time. Perhaps you grew
disillusioned with the project after seeing the corruption and bureaucracy
at every level? If so, why not help us to help you. We are currently
expanding our portfolio of administrator accounts, and as yours remains
dormant perhaps you could consider donating it to us - to do so will take
you only two minutes: change the password (if desired) and then reply to
this email with your login details. We'll do the rest!

Thank you for your time and consideration, and naturally do not hesitate to
contact us if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,

The Wikipedia Freedom Fighters

--
This e-mail was sent by user "Wp freedom fighter" on the English Wikipedia
to user "Morwen". It has been automatically delivered and the Wikimedia

The sender has not been given any information about your e-mail account and
you are not required to reply to this e-mail. For further information on
privacy, security, and replying, as well as abuse and removal from emailing,
see <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Email>.

Re: someone after non-active admin accounts

Casey Brown-3
On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Abigail Brady <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

[snip]

> The Wikipedia Freedom Fighters

Thanks for this -- I forwarded it to the Arbitration Committee and
they said they're looking into it.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: someone after non-active admin accounts

Thomas Dalton
I would hope RFA is good enough to weed out people stupid enough to
respond to such things...

2009/5/10 Abigail Brady <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

Gwern Branwen
On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would hope RFA is good enough to weed out people stupid enough to
> respond to such things...

It's expecting a bit much of RFA to not just pass only people who are
suited for the job, but also pass only that subset which will never
ever become burned out or embittered or angry or gullible or...in the
indefinite future.

The difficult first task they do immediately, but the impossible will
take a little longer.

On the other hand, this might prompt an inactive-deadminning
guideline, which might be a good thing.

--
gwern

Re: someone after non-active admin accounts

Soxred93@gmail.com

Whew, I thought you were talking about [[User:X!|me]].

- -X!

On May 10, 2009, at 8:52 AM [May 10, 2009 ], Abigail Brady wrote:

> [...]

Nathan Awrich
I'm surprised the account hasn't already been blocked with e-mail disabled.
Not that he/she couldn't register a new one, but...

Re: someone after non-active admin accounts

Oskar Sigvardsson
On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would hope RFA is good enough to weed out people stupid enough to
> respond to such things...

Hey, you wanna hear a really stupid thing *we* could do? The exact
same thing! We write emails to a bunch of inactive admins, pretending
to be disgruntled wikipedia-haters asking for their accounts, and if
they bite, we ban and de-admin them! It would be like a sting! Or
entrapment! Or something! We'd be like the Dirty Harry/Lethal
Weapon/Archetypal-amoral-movie-cop of the internet!

Or not... whatever...

--Oskar

2009/5/11 Oskar Sigvardsson <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I would hope RFA is good enough to weed out people stupid enough to
>> respond to such things...
>
> Hey, you wanna hear a really stupid thing *we* could do? The exact
> same thing! We write emails to a bunch of inactive admins, pretending
> to be disgruntled wikipedia-haters asking for their accounts, and if
> they bite, we ban and de-admin them! It would be like a sting! Or
> entrapment! Or something! We'd be like the Dirty Harry/Lethal
> Weapon/Archetypal-amoral-movie-cop of the internet!
>
> Or not... whatever...

Yeah, that would be entrapment. I know of no Wikipedia policy banning
entrapment, but it might not be the best idea ever...

Re: someone after non-active admin accounts

Angela Anuszewski
It does make you wonder... with the extra responsibility associated with
having an admin account, there should be some expectation of a certain level
of activity. There are certainly guidelines for the amount of activity that
should have occured before an RFA, so why aren't there any for an expected
level of activity once adminship is granted?

A de-sysoping for failure to meet this level probably shouldn't be
automatic, but I wouldn't have any issue with there being an automatic "call
for review" based on it...
Angela

--
Wikipedia:[[User:Psu256]]

2009/5/11 Angela Anuszewski <[hidden email]>:
> It does make you wonder... with the extra responsibility associated with
> having an admin account, there should be some expectation of a certain level
> of activity. There are certainly guidelines for the amount of activity that
> should have occured before an RFA, so why aren't there any for an expected
> level of activity once adminship is granted?
>
> A de-sysoping for failure to meet this level probably shouldn't be
> automatic, but I wouldn't have any issue with there being an automatic "call
> for review" based on it...

Desysopping inactive admins has been discussed and rejected 1000s of
times. I don't think this incident should change anything, unless we
get evidence that someone has fulfilled the request.

Re: someone after non-active admin accounts

Andrew Turvey
Automatic suspension of admins who have been inactive after a certain period sounds like a prudent idea - and also of admins who turn inactive after posting any kind of "resignation" message. By all means allow them to be re-activated on request without going through RFA .

Andrew

2009/5/11 Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]>:
> Automatic suspension of admins who have been inactive after a certain period sounds like a prudent idea - and also of admins who turn inactive after posting any kind of "resignation" message. By all means allow them to be re-activated on request without going through RFA .

When was the last time an admin actually left after resigning? I can't
think of anyone since Essjay!

Re: someone after non-active admin accounts

Sam Korn
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2009/5/11 Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]>:
>> Automatic suspension of admins who have been inactive after a certain period sounds like a prudent idea - and also of admins who turn inactive after posting any kind of "resignation" message. By all means allow them to be re-activated on request without going through RFA .
>
> When was the last time an admin actually left after resigning? I can't
> think of anyone since Essjay!

Wikipedia:Former_administrators#Resigned has a list of quite a few
admins who resigned, several of whom appear to have stopped editing
about the same time.

Sam

--
Sam
PGP public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sam_Korn/public_key

Re: someone after non-active admin accounts

Luna-4
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Automatic suspension of admins who have been inactive after a certain
> period sounds like a prudent idea - and also of admins who turn inactive
> after posting any kind of "resignation" message. By all means allow them to
> be re-activated on request without going through RFA .
>
> Andrew

Very frequently, some sort of "get it back, no big deal" routine is
mentioned in tandem with these proposals, but that's always seemed a bit
naive, to me. If a rogue account can get superuser rights back *just by
asking*, the security gained in removing those rights seems questionable.
Sanity checks might work in a small community, but assuming a user has been
gone for years, I don't see the utility.

-Luna

Re: someone after non-active admin accounts

Andrew Turvey

> Desysopping inactive admins has been discussed and rejected 1000s of
> times.

{{citationneeded}}

Please?

Re: someone after non-active admin accounts

Andrew Turvey
ok, I did a search and came up with this from April last year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship/desysop_poll

45/40/11 s/o/n

> Desysopping inactive admins has been discussed and rejected 1000s of
> times.

{{citationneeded}}

Please?

Re: someone after non-active admin accounts

Anthony-73
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Oskar Sigvardsson <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey, you wanna hear a really stupid thing *we* could do? The exact
> same thing! We write emails to a bunch of inactive admins, pretending
> to be disgruntled wikipedia-haters asking for their accounts, and if
> they bite, we ban and de-admin them! It would be like a sting! Or
> entrapment! Or something! We'd be like the Dirty Harry/Lethal
> Weapon/Archetypal-amoral-movie-cop of the internet!

How do you know that's not what "Wp freedom fighter" was doing?

Re: someone after non-active admin accounts

Alex Sawczynec
Wikipedia Review appears to have picked up on this as well:

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?&showtopic=24276

Re: someone after non-active admin accounts

Al Tally
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Alex Sawczynec <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Wikipedia Review appears to have picked up on this as well:
>
> http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?&showtopic=24276

They always do. Good for them.

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:SOCK

Jay Litwyn-2
Your application to an administrator for becoming an administrator should
probably be denied. To my knowledge, Ms. Brady does not know you well enough
to understand your motivation for becoming an administrator. Since she made
your application public, I suspect that she may even find your application
to be a threatening evasion of the normal process for becoming an
administrator. Furthermore, since you claim to represent a party, and not a
single being with your references to "we", I think your account should be
watched for evidence of sock-puppetry. Entrusting an account with special
rights to an account that may already reprezent several users is clearly
outside of [[WP:SOCK]] policy.
_______Begin Redacted Message_______
(Sources and destinations are in public view, and may be deleted with a
proper application to the oversight committee or with direct applications to
thread participants). [i.e. Select Message, press delete, in cases where
message is yours.]