terms & conditions checkbox on registering

terms & conditions checkbox on registering

Falko Richter-3
Hello guys,

we´re having a wonderful wiki based on mediawiki but our legal deparment
said we should include some terms and conditions on the registration
process. We tried to find an extension which provide a simple checkbox
with a text in the registration page but we cannot find anything.

We don´t really want to touch the mediawiki files so i would prefer a
solution in the skin files or with an extension. We tried to find an
existing mediawiki with terms and conditions, but there does not seem to
be one.

Here my question:
Do you know an extension which will include terms and conditions
checkbox to the register page?
Do you know a theme that includes such a terms&conditions checkbox?

Which files do I need to touch to include such a feature? where is the
register page defined, and where is it prozessed?

thank you very much

Falko

Re: terms & conditions checkbox on registering

Roan Kattouw
Falko Richter schreef:

> Hello guys,
>
> we´re having a wonderful wiki based on mediawiki but our legal deparment
> said we should include some terms and conditions on the registration
> process. We tried to find an extension which provide a simple checkbox
> with a text in the registration page but we cannot find anything.
>
> We don´t really want to touch the mediawiki files so i would prefer a
> solution in the skin files or with an extension. We tried to find an
> existing mediawiki with terms and conditions, but there does not seem to
> be one.

Can't you just include some sentence like "By registering you agree to
the Terms and Conditions (link)"? Wikipedia does much the same thing by
putting a notice underneath the edit box saying (among other things)
"You irrevocably agree to release your contributions under the terms of
the GFDL**".

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: terms & conditions checkbox on registering

Brianna Laugher
2008/12/2 Falko Richter <[hidden email]>

> Hello guys,
>
> we´re having a wonderful wiki based on mediawiki but our legal deparment
> said we should include some terms and conditions on the registration
> process. We tried to find an extension which provide a simple checkbox
> with a text in the registration page but we cannot find anything.
>
> We don´t really want to touch the mediawiki files so i would prefer a
> solution in the skin files or with an extension. We tried to find an
> existing mediawiki with terms and conditions, but there does not seem to
> be one.
>
> Here my question:
> Do you know an extension which will include terms and conditions
> checkbox to the register page?

Actually the ConfirmAccount extension includes such a Terms of Service
thing. <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount>

But then you have to manually approve each account. Perhaps you can tweak
this extension so that all requests are automatically granted.

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: terms & conditions checkbox on registering

Aaron Schulz
I knew someone was going to mention that sooner or later :D

> 2008/12/2 Falko Richter <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> we´re having a wonderful wiki based on mediawiki but our legal deparment
>> said we should include some terms and conditions on the registration
>> process. We tried to find an extension which provide a simple checkbox
>> with a text in the registration page but we cannot find anything.
>>
>> We don´t really want to touch the mediawiki files so i would prefer a
>> solution in the skin files or with an extension. We tried to find an
>> existing mediawiki with terms and conditions, but there does not seem to
>> be one.
>>
>> Here my question:
>> Do you know an extension which will include terms and conditions
>> checkbox to the register page?
>>

> Actually the ConfirmAccount extension includes such a Terms of Service
> thing. <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount>
>
> But then you have to manually approve each account. Perhaps you can tweak
> this extension so that all requests are automatically granted.
>
> cheers
> Brianna
>
> --
> They've just been waiting in a mountain for the right moment:
> http://modernthings.org/

Re: terms & conditions checkbox on registering

Aryeh Gregor
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Falko Richter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> we´re having a wonderful wiki based on mediawiki but our legal deparment
> said we should include some terms and conditions on the registration
> process. We tried to find an extension which provide a simple checkbox
> with a text in the registration page but we cannot find anything.

If you're running an actual wiki, i.e., one where anonymous users can
edit, a checkbox on registration wouldn't be sufficient, probably --
you need the terms to be present on the edit page.  Wikipedia handles
this by having a link to the terms (in its case, just GFDL licensing)
on the edit page, and saying "You irrevocably agree to release your
contributions under the terms of the GFDL" right above the "save page"
button (with "GFDL" being a link to the full license terms).  You
might want to ask your legal team if that's okay.