test cases available for MediaWiki

jean jayet
hi folks

have setup succesfully MediaWiki 1.11.0 on Sparc OpenSolaris

are there system tests / test cases available for MediaWiki i could run
? (pointer / link / wiki, etc,...)

thks
Jean

Re: test cases available for MediaWiki

Platonides
jean jayet wrote:

> hi folks
>
> have setup succesfully MediaWiki 1.11.0 on Sparc OpenSolaris
>
> are there system tests / test cases available for MediaWiki i could run
> ? (pointer / link / wiki, etc,...)
>

> thks
> Jean

You could run the parsertests (maintenance folder) but if PHP works on
that system, it will only fail those failing everywhere else ;)

I'd recommend you to check on the borders: file uploads (interact with
FS), sending emails (with the SMTP)...

Re: test cases available for MediaWiki

jean jayet
thks Platonides for the info

as i'm new to mediawiki, not sure to catch the following :
> I'd recommend you to check on the borders: file uploads (interact with
> FS), sending emails (with the SMTP)...

do you mean there are already existing specific tests available there
(if yes where can find them)

just to give a little of context : purpose is not to test the mediawiki
but to check once setup on OS new release (open solaris) it behaves
properly by doing sanity checks : assuming there are already existing
tests cases (either to run manually or automatically)

thks
Jean

jean jayet wrote:
> thks Platonides for the info
>
> as i'm new to mediawiki, not sure to catch the following :
>> I'd recommend you to check on the borders: file uploads (interact with
>> FS), sending emails (with the SMTP)...
>
> do you mean there are already existing specific tests available there
> (if yes where can find them)

No. You'd need to do it by hand. But they are the most failing actions.

> just to give a little of context : purpose is not to test the mediawiki
> but to check once setup on OS new release (open solaris) it behaves
> properly by doing sanity checks : assuming there are already existing
> tests cases (either to run manually or automatically)
>
> thks
> Jean

The most similar are the parsertests.

Re: test cases available for MediaWiki

jean jayet
trying to execute the php tests under maintenance subdir i catch the
following output

don't know how to fix it ?
does anybody face same issue ?

thks in advance,
Jean

# /usr/php5/5.2.4/bin/php parserTests.php -c /etc/php5/5.2.4
This is MediaWiki version 1.11.0.

Reading tests from "maintenance/parserTests.txt"...
PHP Warning:  pg_query(): Query failed: ERROR:  relation "searchindex"
does not exist in
/var/apache2/htdocs/wiki/mediawiki-1.11.0/includes/DatabasePostgres.php
on line 506
A database error has occurred
Query: CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE searchindex (LIKE searchindex INCLUDING
DEFAULTS)
Function:
Error: 1 ERROR:  relation "searchindex" does not exist

Backtrace:
#0 /var/apache2/htdocs/wiki/mediawiki-1.11.0/includes/Database.php(779):
DatabasePostgres->reportQueryError('ERROR:  relatio...', 1, 'CREATE
TEMPORAR...', '', false)
/var/apache2/htdocs/wiki/mediawiki-1.11.0/maintenance/parserTests.inc(475):
Database->query('CREATE TEMPORAR...')
/var/apache2/htdocs/wiki/mediawiki-1.11.0/maintenance/parserTests.inc(416):
ParserTest->setupDatabase()
/var/apache2/htdocs/wiki/mediawiki-1.11.0/maintenance/parserTests.inc(739):
ParserTest->setupGlobals()
/var/apache2/htdocs/wiki/mediawiki-1.11.0/maintenance/parserTests.inc(166):
ParserTest->addArticle('Main Page', 'blah blah', 34)
/var/apache2/htdocs/wiki/mediawiki-1.11.0/maintenance/parserTests.inc(130):
ParserTest->runFile('/var/apache2/ht...')
/var/apache2/htdocs/wiki/mediawiki-1.11.0/maintenance/parserTests.php(68):
ParserTest->runTestsFromFiles(Array)
#7 {main}

Platonides wrote On 10/17/07 02:43 PM,:

> jean jayet wrote:
>
>>hi folks
>>
>>have setup succesfully MediaWiki 1.11.0 on Sparc OpenSolaris
>>
>>are there system tests / test cases available for MediaWiki i could run
>>? (pointer / link / wiki, etc,...)
>>

>>thks
>>Jean
>

> You could run the parsertests (maintenance folder) but if PHP works on
> that system, it will only fail those failing everywhere else ;)
>
> I'd recommend you to check on the borders: file uploads (interact with
> FS), sending emails (with the SMTP)...

Re: test cases available for MediaWiki

Rob Church
On 22/10/2007, jean jayet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> trying to execute the php tests under maintenance subdir i catch the
> following output
>
> don't know how to fix it ?
> does anybody face same issue ?

First of all, please note that the parser test suite is an incomplete
test suite that's supposed to help us avoid major regressions in the
behaviour of our "parser"; it's not a general unit test suite for
MediaWiki, and shouldn't be treated like one.

In later versions, we do have some, limited tests available (see
tests/), but again, the coverage is nowhere near complete. We don't
have a general-purpose "make test"-esque set of tests for the current
codebase, and won't have, for the foreseeable future.

In this particular case, the parser tests will attempt to create a
"dumb database" using temp tables which emulates a simple MediaWiki
setup, and will insert various fake pages, images and so on to allow
the parser code to be executed and perform various operations - a good
example would be page existence, since this affects the correct
outcome for a link.

You're running under PostgreSQL, it would seem, and here of course, we
expose rather well that fact that MediaWiki was not written to work
with it, and that there are several edge cases where the usual
database "abstraction" hasn't taken place, this parser test set-up and
tear-down being just one of those.

The PostgreSQL code that we have doesn't use a "searchindex" table as
is done in the standard MySQL setup; we're using tsearch2 (ask Greg,
the unofficial official PostgreSQL porter for details on this, if it
isn't documented somewhere), and as such, the dumb replication of
tables causes the parser test set-up method to stumble.

The simple solution would be to avoid running the parser tests, as you
seem to want to do - realistically, they will not catch any of the
problems you are likely to face when installing and configuring
MediaWiki; as Platonides has already stated in this thread, you're
currently better off testing the edge cases/borders, e.g. file
uploads, math rendering (if desired), image thumbnailing, etc. since
these rely on external factors or processes not limited to the pure
MediaWiki configuration.

Rob Church