/tmp is not a waste dump

DaB.-2
Hello all,

few minutes ago I had to clean ortelius' /tmp again because it was nearly full
(there is up to 13GB space).
Using temp-files is a great thing and we all know that clean-up is boring stuff
– but please: If you can not make your tools clean after them self then YOU
have to clean up for them from time to time. /tmp at ortelius contains over
9000 small files at the moment – I VERY doubt that most of them are still
needed. So please look what is still needed, fix your tools and/or write a
cleaning-script. Otherwise I have to write a system-wide script that will
delete all files that are older than x days.

Sincerely,
DaB.

P.S: It is totally ok for Operators to delete files in /tmp if the space
becomes tight.

--
Userpage: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]] — PGP: 0x2d3ee2d42b255885

Re: /tmp is not a waste dump

Tim Landscheidt
(anonymous) wrote:

> few minutes ago I had to clean ortelius' /tmp again because it was nearly full
> (there is up to 13GB space).
> Using temp-files is a great thing and we all know that clean-up is boring stuff
> – but please: If you can not make your tools clean after them self then YOU
> have to clean up for them from time to time. /tmp at ortelius contains over
> 9000 small files at the moment – I VERY doubt that most of them are still
> needed. So please look what is still needed, fix your tools and/or write a
> cleaning-script. Otherwise I have to write a system-wide script that will
> delete all files that are older than x days.

> [...]

Why not just install tmpreaper?

Tim

Re: /tmp is not a waste dump

Tim Landscheidt
I wrote:

>> few minutes ago I had to clean ortelius' /tmp again because it was nearly full
>> (there is up to 13GB space).
>> Using temp-files is a great thing and we all know that clean-up is boring stuff
>> – but please: If you can not make your tools clean after them self then YOU
>> have to clean up for them from time to time. /tmp at ortelius contains over
>> 9000 small files at the moment – I VERY doubt that most of them are still
>> needed. So please look what is still needed, fix your tools and/or write a
>> cleaning-script. Otherwise I have to write a system-wide script that will
>> delete all files that are older than x days.

>> [...]

> Why not just install tmpreaper?

Because it doesn't work on Solaris.  D'oh!

Tim

Re: [Toolserver-announce] /tmp is not a waste dump

Andre Koopal
On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 07:02:53PM +0100, DaB. wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> few minutes ago I had to clean ortelius' /tmp again because it was nearly full
> (there is up to 13GB space).
> Using temp-files is a great thing and we all know that clean-up is boring stuff
> ??? but please: If you can not make your tools clean after them self then YOU
> have to clean up for them from time to time. /tmp at ortelius contains over
> 9000 small files at the moment ??? I VERY doubt that most of them are still
> needed. So please look what is still needed, fix your tools and/or write a
> cleaning-script. Otherwise I have to write a system-wide script that will
> delete all files that are older than x days.

As a hint, apart from cleaning your tmp-files at the end of a script you
can also do:

trap 'rm -f $TEMPFILE; exit' 1 2 3 15

which will be executed if the script gets a kill -1 -2 -3 or -15, so also if
you or an admin needs to kill your script, the files will be deleted anyway.

Regards,

Andre Koopal

Re: /tmp is not a waste dump

DaB.-2
Hello,
At Sunday 17 March 2013 21:14:48 DaB. wrote:
> Hello all,
>  over 9000 small files at the moment

just to be fair: Platonides discovered that over 8800 of them were created by
a munin-script that was written by me. I'm sorry.

> Sincerely,
> DaB.

Sincerely,
DaB.

--
Userpage: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]] — PGP: 0x2d3ee2d42b255885

Re: /tmp is not a waste dump

Platonides
On 17/03/13 19:15, Tim Landscheidt wrote:
>> Why not just install tmpreaper?
>
> Because it doesn't work on Solaris.  D'oh!
>
> Tim

{{Reference needed}}

I don't see why it wouldn't work in Solaris. It took me a bit to find
out its source package [1], but it compiles (and seems to run)
flawlessly [2].
I only regret that it doesn't have a blaming option to notify users on
how dirty the left the filesystem. :)

[1]
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/tmpreaper/tmpreaper_1.6.13+nmu1.tar.gz
[2] willow:/tmp/tmpreaper/tmpreaper-1.6.13+nmu1