tool for coloring/treating maps searched ...

tool for coloring/treating maps searched ...

thurner rupert-2
hi,

beginning with release 1.9 mediawiki can have image maps. we also had it as
suggestion for the 150 jahre volkschule project (scholars at the age of
12-14) - but it seems quite challenging - without tools :)

see here for details:
*
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Images_and_other_uploaded_files#Navigational_maps
* http://tools.wikimedia.de/~dapete/ImageMapEdit/ImageMapEdit.html?en

creating/coloring maps is usually the biggest work. anybody knows good tools
or good keywords for a websearch to find tools which facilitate
drawing/coloring images like
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Gemeindeartikel-ch_060208.png?

i found:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Graphics_tutorials
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Vector_graphics_editors
* http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2005/06/10/osgeospatial.html

a second question:
what is the best/preferred format to store the result? is it svg?

rupert.

Re: tool for coloring/treating maps searched ...

Platonides
THURNER rupert wrote:
> creating/coloring maps is usually the biggest work. anybody knows good
> tools or good keywords for a websearch to find tools which facilitate
> drawing/coloring images like
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Gemeindeartikel-ch_060208.png?

You could put the image as background on a vectorial image editor and
draw over it, buit it's still a hard work.

> a second question:
> what is the best/preferred format to store the result? is it svg?

Yes.

Re: tool for coloring/treating maps searched ...

Teun Spaans
great feature! I have been wishing this for over a year!