traffic suddenly down on Wikipedia?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

traffic suddenly down on Wikipedia?

Andrea Forte
Does anyone know of an explanation for the sudden drop in traffic on
Wikipedia these past couple weeks?  I just happened to notice because
I'm writing a paper and needed the lastest alexa ranking.

See: http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=&size=large&compare_sites=&y=r&url=www.wikipedia.com

Andrea
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: traffic suddenly down on Wikipedia?

Tim 'avatar' Bartel
Hi Wikimetricians,

Andrea Forte schrieb am 20.06.2006 15:39:
> Does anyone know of an explanation for the sudden drop in traffic on
> Wikipedia these past couple weeks?  I just happened to notice because
> I'm writing a paper and needed the lastest alexa ranking.
>
> See: http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=&size=large&compare_sites=&y=r&url=www.wikipedia.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup (?)

:-)

Bye, Tim.

--
Statistik ist eine exakte Methode, Halbwahrheiten ungenau auszudruecken.
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: traffic suddenly down on Wikipedia?

Andrea Forte
My first reaction was: LOL.

But then I thought... wait, why is the raking still 16? is ALL
internat traffic down? and I'll be damned. EVERY site seems to be
down. The world cup seems to have obviated need for other information
input.

andrea


On 6/20/06, Tim 'avatar' Bartel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Wikimetricians,
>
> Andrea Forte schrieb am 20.06.2006 15:39:
> > Does anyone know of an explanation for the sudden drop in traffic on
> > Wikipedia these past couple weeks?  I just happened to notice because
> > I'm writing a paper and needed the lastest alexa ranking.
> >
> > See: http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=&size=large&compare_sites=&y=r&url=www.wikipedia.com
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup (?)
>
> :-)
>
> Bye, Tim.
>
> --
> Statistik ist eine exakte Methode, Halbwahrheiten ungenau auszudruecken.
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: traffic suddenly down on Wikipedia?

mike waggoner
Actually, the ranking and daily reach per million have both dropped as
well (June 18 // daily=30).  The 3 month average has yet to catch-up
-- functioning as intended to smooth over this (hopefully?) temporary
dip in traffic.

-mike / user:here

On 6/20/06, Andrea Forte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My first reaction was: LOL.
>
> But then I thought... wait, why is the raking still 16? is ALL
> internat traffic down? and I'll be damned. EVERY site seems to be
> down. The world cup seems to have obviated need for other information
> input.
>
> andrea
>
>
> On 6/20/06, Tim 'avatar' Bartel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Wikimetricians,
> >
> > Andrea Forte schrieb am 20.06.2006 15:39:
> > > Does anyone know of an explanation for the sudden drop in traffic on
> > > Wikipedia these past couple weeks?  I just happened to notice because
> > > I'm writing a paper and needed the lastest alexa ranking.
> > >
> > > See: http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=&size=large&compare_sites=&y=r&url=www.wikipedia.com
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup (?)
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Bye, Tim.
> >
> > --
> > Statistik ist eine exakte Methode, Halbwahrheiten ungenau auszudruecken.
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wiki-research-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: traffic suddenly down on Wikipedia?

Sunir Shah
How much of the traffic is spam or search engine
traffic?

At MeatballWiki, we were getting hit by search engines
once a second, and we're not Wikipedia. Although,
Wikipedia has deals with the search engines.

Best,
Sunir

_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: traffic suddenly down on Wikipedia?

Mathias Schindler
In reply to this post by Andrea Forte

----- original Nachricht --------

Betreff: [Wiki-research-l] traffic suddenly down on Wikipedia?
Gesendet: Tue, 20. Jun 2006
Von: "Andrea Forte" <[hidden email]>

> Does anyone know of an explanation for the sudden drop in traffic on
> Wikipedia these past couple weeks?  I just happened to notice because
> I'm writing a paper and needed the lastest alexa ranking.
>
> See:
> http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=&size=large&compare
> _sites=&y=r&url=www.wikipedia.com
>

Alexa's data is made from undisclosed sources and they seem to update their algorithm and weighting factors seamingless in their graphs.

Leon Weber has released the traffic stats on the Wikimedia Toolserver:

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~leon/stats/trafstats/trafficstats-yearly.png
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~leon/stats/reqstats/reqstats-yearly.png

Mathias

By the way: The alexa figure you were referring to has nothing to do with "traffic" per se.
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fwd: traffic suddenly down on Wikipedia?

Andrea Forte
Right... it's actually hard to infer anything from "traffic," as Sunir
was hinting.

Semantics aside, Alexa's "reach" chart (which I guess is supposed to
be the number of people out of a million random Internet users who
visit the site) is revealing a downward trend across a lot of major
sites in the past two weeks, which I think is an amusing bit of
information if it has anything to do with a major sporting event. :-)

andrea


On 6/20/06, Mathias Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> ----- original Nachricht --------
>
> Betreff: [Wiki-research-l] traffic suddenly down on Wikipedia?
> Gesendet: Tue, 20. Jun 2006
> Von: "Andrea Forte" <[hidden email]>
>
> > Does anyone know of an explanation for the sudden drop in traffic on
> > Wikipedia these past couple weeks?  I just happened to notice because
> > I'm writing a paper and needed the lastest alexa ranking.
> >
> > See:
> > http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=&size=large&compare
> > _sites=&y=r&url=www.wikipedia.com
> >
>
> Alexa's data is made from undisclosed sources and they seem to update their algorithm and weighting factors seamingless in their graphs.
>
> Leon Weber has released the traffic stats on the Wikimedia Toolserver:
>
> http://tools.wikimedia.de/~leon/stats/trafstats/trafficstats-yearly.png
> http://tools.wikimedia.de/~leon/stats/reqstats/reqstats-yearly.png
>
> Mathias
>
> By the way: The alexa figure you were referring to has nothing to do with "traffic" per se.
>
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: traffic suddenly down on Wikipedia?

Jimmy Wales
In reply to this post by Andrea Forte
As an American, I find this hard to believe.  But I am in Germany at the
moment, and frankly, it seems reasonable. :)

Andrea Forte wrote:

> My first reaction was: LOL.
>
> But then I thought... wait, why is the raking still 16? is ALL
> internat traffic down? and I'll be damned. EVERY site seems to be
> down. The world cup seems to have obviated need for other information
> input.
>
> andrea
>
>
> On 6/20/06, Tim 'avatar' Bartel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Wikimetricians,
>>
>> Andrea Forte schrieb am 20.06.2006 15:39:
>>> Does anyone know of an explanation for the sudden drop in traffic on
>>> Wikipedia these past couple weeks?  I just happened to notice because
>>> I'm writing a paper and needed the lastest alexa ranking.
>>>
>>> See: http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=&size=large&compare_sites=&y=r&url=www.wikipedia.com
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup (?)
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Bye, Tim.
>>
>> --
>> Statistik ist eine exakte Methode, Halbwahrheiten ungenau auszudruecken.
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wiki-research-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>

--
#######################################################################
#    Office: 1-727-231-0101       |  Free Culture and  Free Knowledge #
#    http://www.wikipedia.org     |     Building a free world         #
#######################################################################

_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l

jwales.vcf (290 bytes) Download Attachment