transparency, and marketing via emails

rupert.thurner-2
hi,

what do you think about including the apropriate wiki page (if it
exists) in mails to the list? this would allow an easy click to get
the current status and help beeing more transparent.

a very efficient means of markteting would also be to include a
maximum of four lines with currently important information we would
like that other people should be informed of. what do you think?

what is the address of the gep building, so we could put a link to
gis.zh, or switzerland door to door behind it on our wiki
(http://www.gis.zh.ch/zvv/default.asp?fromLocationId=0&toLocationId=0&new_selection=&usr=www.zvv.ch&mvu=zvv&frames=yes&start_search=yes&start=1&protocol=http%3A&lg=d&mylanguage=d&servername=fahrplan.zvv.ch&fromIsZSG=no&toIsZSG=no&AZ=&AS=&queryPageDisplayed=yes&gis1=Haltestelle&REQ0JourneyStopsS0A=1&from.0=&REQ0JourneyStopsS0ID=&gis2=Adresse&REQ0JourneyStopsZ0A=1&to.0=&REQ0JourneyStopsZ0ID=&REQ0JourneyStops1A=1&REQ0JourneyStops1G=&date=So%2C+30.04.06&wDayExt0=Mo%7CDi%7CMi%7CDo%7CFr%7CSa%7CSo&time=15%3A10&REQ0HafasSearchForw=1)?

rupert.

marketing via emails and homepage

Robin Schwab
> what do you think about including the apropriate wiki page (if it
> exists) in mails to the list? this would allow an easy click to get
> the current status and help beeing more transparent.

fack. We should start promoting our website as I suggest we put this
address on the posters and flyers to look up detailed info as exact
location, schedule of the speeches etc.

Which address should we promote? ch.wikimedia.org or wikimedia.ch? Here
we need quick decision!

It would be glad if somebody could remove the Wikimedia Swizerland
instead of Wikimedia CH in the from-field of the mails being posted
here. (->Michael?)

On the ch.wikimedia.org-page there are some navigation problems:
*Wikimedia-Portal refers to the dead meta-page
*"aktuelle Ereignisse" could be better translated to "Veranstaltungen"
and also refer to events in the past.
*"zufälliger Artikel" doesn't really make sense in this wiki.
*"Spenden" should link to a page of our own saying that donations to
Wikimedia CH are not possible right now. People should wait another two
weeks or support Wikimedia Foundation which can be found at ...
*Let's list the contact page and bylaws in the navigation bar

Is there a setting that German is the default language in the Navigation
bar and so on? Users could still opt in for other languages. In the
target group of de.wikipedia.org users (readers only) many will not have
a sophisticated level of English.

If we promote Wikimedia day via website at least the main page and the
Wikipedia Day description page should be available for non English
speaking users. How do we do this? I suggest a "Hauptseite" and
"Veranstaltungen/Wikipedia-Tag 2006"

Last but not least we should introduce our website in as many Homepages
as possible to increase Pagerank (we don't have any yet!)

> a very efficient means of markteting would also be to include a
> maximum of four lines with currently important information we would
> like that other people should be informed of. what do you think?

If we do this let's remove [hidden email] at the bottom of
the emails. It appears already in the sender field.

> what is the address of the gep building, so we could put a link to
> gis.zh, or switzerland door to door behind it on our wiki
> (http://www.gis.zh.ch/zvv/default.asp?fromLocationId=0&toLocationId=0&new_selection=&usr=www.zvv.ch&mvu=zvv&frames=yes&start_search=yes&start=1&protocol=http%3A&lg=d&mylanguage=d&servername=fahrplan.zvv.ch&fromIsZSG=no&toIsZSG=no&AZ=&AS=&queryPageDisplayed=yes&gis1=Haltestelle&REQ0JourneyStopsS0A=1&from.0=&REQ0JourneyStopsS0ID=&gis2=Adresse&REQ0JourneyStopsZ0A=1&to.0=&REQ0JourneyStopsZ0ID=&REQ0JourneyStops1A=1&REQ0JourneyStops1G=&date=So%2C+30.04.06&wDayExt0=Mo%7CDi%7CMi%7CDo%7CFr%7CSa%7CSo&time=15%3A10&REQ0HafasSearchForw=1)?

Leonhardstrasse 34, but please do not promote this address, because it's
not known under this address.

Regards

Robin

Re: marketing via emails and homepage

Ilario Valdelli
Quickly reply:

It could be get writing the article "Wikimedia CH" in more as possible
wikipedias (like http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CH).

A second solution is to have http://www.wikimedia.ch (or related link)
at foot of our signature. If we reply at mailing list these replies are
stored in a archive which are processed by search engines.

Best Regards

Ilario Valdelli

> Last but not least we should introduce our website in as many Homepages
> as possible to increase Pagerank (we don't have any yet!)

Re: marketing via emails and homepage

Michael Bimmler
On 5/1/06, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > what do you think about including the apropriate wiki page (if it
> > exists) in mails to the list? this would allow an easy click to get
> > the current status and help beeing more transparent.
>
> fack. We should start promoting our website as I suggest we put this
> address on the posters and flyers to look up detailed info as exact
> location, schedule of the speeches etc.
>
> Which address should we promote? ch.wikimedia.org or wikimedia.ch? Here
> we need quick decision!

I think the decision has already been made:
We will use www.wikimedia.ch for the public/press
members.wikimedia.ch as a members-only-wiki
board.wikimedia.ch as a board-only-wiki
We should asap remove all content from ch.wikimedia.org and
meta.wikimedia.org (and replace it with links to the new adress), to
ensure that no Wikimedia CH material lies on foundation servers
(liability etc.). (Of course, there can be entries in [[meta:Wikimedia
chapters]] etc.)  At the moment "wikimedia.ch" is a permanent redirect
to ch.wikimedia.org, so it's okay to promote this adress.
> It would be glad if somebody could remove the Wikimedia Swizerland
> instead of Wikimedia CH in the from-field of the mails being posted
> here. (->Michael?)

I will (I thought I had already but I see that I forgot)
> On the ch.wikimedia.org-page there are some navigation problems:
> *Wikimedia-Portal refers to the dead meta-page
As a matter of time, I only changed it to "A general overview will be
provided here soon.", please amend it!
> *"aktuelle Ereignisse" could be better translated to "Veranstaltungen"
> and also refer to events in the past.
I'll try to change this.
> *"zufälliger Artikel" doesn't really make sense in this wiki.
Hm, I don't think this can be disabled. But I'll look into it.
> *"Spenden" should link to a page of our own saying that donations to
> Wikimedia CH are not possible right now. People should wait another two
> weeks or support Wikimedia Foundation which can be found at ...
Okay. I'll change it.
> *Let's list the contact page and bylaws in the navigation bar
Not sure whether it's possible, will look.

> Is there a setting that German is the default language in the Navigation
> bar and so on? Users could still opt in for other languages. In the
> target group of de.wikipedia.org users (readers only) many will not have
> a sophisticated level of English.

Hm, you can adjust the language in your [[Special:Preferences]], but
yes, we should get multilingual. Start translating...
> If we promote Wikimedia day via website at least the main page and the
> Wikipedia Day description page should be available for non English
> speaking users. How do we do this? I suggest a "Hauptseite" and
> "Veranstaltungen/Wikipedia-Tag 2006"

Ok.
> Last but not least we should introduce our website in as many Homepages
> as possible to increase Pagerank (we don't have any yet!)

Well, start distributing the link...
> > a very efficient means of markteting would also be to include a
> > maximum of four lines with currently important information we would
> > like that other people should be informed of. what do you think?
>
> If we do this let's remove [hidden email] at the bottom of
> the emails. It appears already in the sender field.

Okay, I'll do.
> > what is the address of the gep building, so we could put a link to
> > gis.zh, or switzerland door to door behind it on our wiki
> > (http://www.gis.zh.ch/zvv/default.asp?fromLocationId=0&toLocationId=0&new_selection=&usr=www.zvv.ch&mvu=zvv&frames=yes&start_search=yes&start=1&protocol=http%3A&lg=d&mylanguage=d&servername=fahrplan.zvv.ch&fromIsZSG=no&toIsZSG=no&AZ=&AS=&queryPageDisplayed=yes&gis1=Haltestelle&REQ0JourneyStopsS0A=1&from.0=&REQ0JourneyStopsS0ID=&gis2=Adresse&REQ0JourneyStopsZ0A=1&to.0=&REQ0JourneyStopsZ0ID=&REQ0JourneyStops1A=1&REQ0JourneyStops1G=&date=So%2C+30.04.06&wDayExt0=Mo%7CDi%7CMi%7CDo%7CFr%7CSa%7CSo&time=15%3A10&REQ0HafasSearchForw=1)?
>
> Leonhardstrasse 34, but please do not promote this address, because it's
> not known under this address.
>
> Regards

Regards
Michael
> Robin

Regards
Michael Bimmler

On 5/1/06, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Quickly reply:
>
> It could be get writing the article "Wikimedia CH" in more as possible
> wikipedias (like http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CH).

I once created a Wikimedia CH article in de: but it was deleted with
the explanation that we'll only get an article when the chapter
exists.
> A second solution is to have http://www.wikimedia.ch (or related link)
> at foot of our signature. If we reply at mailing list these replies are
> stored in a archive which are processed by search engines.

I'll do...
> Best Regards

Michael

Michael Bimmler schrieb:
>> Which address should we promote? ch.wikimedia.org or wikimedia.ch? Here
>> we need quick decision!
>
> I think the decision has already been made:
> We will use www.wikimedia.ch for the public/press
> members.wikimedia.ch as a members-only-wiki
> board.wikimedia.ch as a board-only-wiki

Looks good to me. Added a link on my HP.

I'm glad you care about this. See www.wikimedia.de for example.

>> Is there a setting that German is the default language in the Navigation
>> bar and so on? Users could still opt in for other languages. In the
>> target group of de.wikipedia.org users (readers only) many will not have
>> a sophisticated level of English.
>>
> Hm, you can adjust the language in your [[Special:Preferences]], but
> yes, we should get multilingual. Start translating...

I'll give a try.

Regards

Robin

Re: marketing via emails and homepage

Michael Bimmler
On 5/1/06, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Bimmler schrieb:
> >> Which address should we promote? ch.wikimedia.org or wikimedia.ch? Here
> >> we need quick decision!
> >
> > I think the decision has already been made:
> > We will use www.wikimedia.ch for the public/press
> > members.wikimedia.ch as a members-only-wiki
> > board.wikimedia.ch as a board-only-wiki
>
> Looks good to me. Added a link on my HP.

Nice!
> >> It would be glad if somebody could remove the Wikimedia Swizerland
> >> *Let's list the contact page and bylaws in the navigation bar
> > Not sure whether it's possible, will look.
>
> I'm glad you care about this. See www.wikimedia.de for example.

Hm, proves to be not too easy (MediaWiki messages tend to be non
logical), but I'll give it a try.

> >> Is there a setting that German is the default language in the Navigation
> >> bar and so on? Users could still opt in for other languages. In the
> >> target group of de.wikipedia.org users (readers only) many will not have
> >> a sophisticated level of English.
> >>
> > Hm, you can adjust the language in your [[Special:Preferences]], but
> > yes, we should get multilingual. Start translating...
>
> I'll give a try.
>
> Regards
>
> Robin

Regards
Michael Bimmler

Re: marketing via emails and homepage

Frédéric Schütz
Michael Bimmler wrote:

>>It could be get writing the article "Wikimedia CH" in more as possible
>>wikipedias (like http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CH).
>>

> I once created a Wikimedia CH article in de: but it was deleted with
> the explanation that we'll only get an article when the chapter
> exists.

Such an article would probably be deleted in en: as being non-notable --
even if the association exists, the fact that is it associated with
Wiki[pedia|media] will probably not carry much weight compared to the
fact that it is a small, local, association with a handful of members.

Frédéric

On 5/1/06, Frederic Schutz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Bimmler wrote:
>
> >>It could be get writing the article "Wikimedia CH" in more as possible
> >>wikipedias (like http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CH).
> >>

> > I once created a Wikimedia CH article in de: but it was deleted with
> > the explanation that we'll only get an article when the chapter
> > exists.
>
> Such an article would probably be deleted in en: as being non-notable --
> even if the association exists, the fact that is it associated with
> Wiki[pedia|media] will probably not carry much weight compared to the
> fact that it is a small, local, association with a handful of members.

Wm DE has an article on en:, the other chapters not.
> Frédéric

Regards
Michael Bimmler

www.wikimedia.ch

On 5/1/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > I once created a Wikimedia CH article in de: but it was deleted with
> > > the explanation that we'll only get an article when the chapter
> > > exists.
> >
> > Such an article would probably be deleted in en: as being non-notable --
> > even if the association exists, the fact that is it associated with
> > Wiki[pedia|media] will probably not carry much weight compared to the
> > fact that it is a small, local, association with a handful of members.
> >
> Wm DE has an article on en:, the other chapters not.
Oh, and it's a redirect to "German Wikipedia".
So no chapters have an article at en...

--
Regards
Michael Bimmler

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: marketing via emails and homepage

Robin Schwab

>> Wm DE has an article on en:, the other chapters not.
> Oh, and it's a redirect to "German Wikipedia".
> So no chapters have an article at en...

Looking at
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Relevanz#Organisationen_(Vereine,_Stiftungen_etc.)

you'll see that we need to exist 70 years and 500 members to get an own
article in de.wikipedia.org. Positive is that we will get relevant as
Persons in seventy years :-)!

Why not try something like Wikipedia:Wikimedia_CH?
Wikipedia:Wikimedia_Schweiz does exist but is not linked.

Regards

Robin

Re: marketing via emails and homepage

rupert.thurner-2
hi,

i added http://ch.wikimedia.org/wiki/Advertising_footers for beeing
able to use more interesting footers with the link. feel free to add
one, and use one of them in your mails :)

another thing would be to link to wikimedia.ch from a high reputed
site, like from the ethz-domain.

rupi.

[hidden email] schrieb:
> i added http://ch.wikimedia.org/wiki/Advertising_footers for beeing
> able to use more interesting footers with the link. feel free to add
> one, and use one of them in your mails :)

Nice! I slightly adapted the swiss german text. Good ideas!

> another thing would be to link to wikimedia.ch from a high reputed
> site, like from the ethz-domain.

I''l see what I can do.

Regards

Robin

häsch scho mol en wikipedianer gseh? en vulkanier? nei .... des isch was
anders ... komm an wikipedia dag - 2006-06-17, eth züri, gnaus uf
http://wikimedia.ch.

Re: marketing via emails and homepage

rupert THURNER-2
great! the main point of the footers is to tell people what they could
expect to see, learn or do on wikipedia day. to know why they should
come. the shorter we can say it the better. and also we'd need them in
different languages as well :)

rupert.
--------
how the hell my company got into wikipedia? it is NOT true what they write!!
come to our wikipedia day and learn about how wikipedians think and act.
2006-06-17, eth zürich, details on http://wikimedia.ch.