transport

Re: transport booking

Andy Mabbett-2
On 13 June 2016 at 12:11, Iolanda Pensa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> to clarify, there are two kind of busses
>
> 1. busses from the airports to Esino (and viceversa). All people with a WMF scholarship, all WMF staff and all people who bought their airport transport have a seat on the busses. we made this timetable to accommodate the arrivals https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Journey/Airport_busses

How do we know which bus our seat is allocated on? Or is it "first
come, first served"?

> 2. busses from Varenna to Esino Lario (and viceversa)
> We should have the definitive contract today and this is the expected schedule https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Journey/Varenna_Esino_busses
> We are putting as many busses as possible on the schedule but there are limits due to the street (we are saturating it but we can not block it) and there are limits due to the schedule bus drivers can do. We are really sorry that you might have to wait for your bus, but you can reserve your seat on the next available bus once you arrive in Varenna and Varenna is indeed really beautiful: you can leave the luggage at the station and enjoy the place during the waiting time.

I have just seen that page for the first time, It says:

   Watch out! You need to buy a ticket in advance with the organisers
   to be on one of these buses!

This seems to contradict:

> You do not need to reserve on eventbrite your ticket for Varenna Esino but you be able to get it once you are in Varenna or in Esino. Please note that you can get or reserve your return ticket in Varenna or Esino; it is a good idea to get it immediately or to think about it as soon as you can.

Please can you clarify this ambiguity?

On

   https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Journey/Train

there is reference to:

  Bus from the station of Varenna-Esino to Esino Lario (the bus waits for the
   train, 2.40 €). The regular bus schedule changes in winter and summer;
   for Wikimania we have increased buses.

yet you refer to a contract and special buses. What is the difference?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: transport booking

Lodewijk
Hi Andy,

I added that statement to the busses page, based on an earlier email from Iolanda where she indeed stated that reservations were required. I understand now that reservations still are required, but can only be made once in Varenna - perhaps that explains the ambiguity?

But I have to admit, it isn't entirely clear to me either...

Lodewijk

On 13 June 2016 at 12:11, Iolanda Pensa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> to clarify, there are two kind of busses
>
> 1. busses from the airports to Esino (and viceversa). All people with a WMF scholarship, all WMF staff and all people who bought their airport transport have a seat on the busses. we made this timetable to accommodate the arrivals https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Journey/Airport_busses

How do we know which bus our seat is allocated on? Or is it "first
come, first served"?

> 2. busses from Varenna to Esino Lario (and viceversa)
> We should have the definitive contract today and this is the expected schedule https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Journey/Varenna_Esino_busses
> We are putting as many busses as possible on the schedule but there are limits due to the street (we are saturating it but we can not block it) and there are limits due to the schedule bus drivers can do. We are really sorry that you might have to wait for your bus, but you can reserve your seat on the next available bus once you arrive in Varenna and Varenna is indeed really beautiful: you can leave the luggage at the station and enjoy the place during the waiting time.

I have just seen that page for the first time, It says:

   Watch out! You need to buy a ticket in advance with the organisers
   to be on one of these buses!

This seems to contradict:

> You do not need to reserve on eventbrite your ticket for Varenna Esino but you be able to get it once you are in Varenna or in Esino. Please note that you can get or reserve your return ticket in Varenna or Esino; it is a good idea to get it immediately or to think about it as soon as you can.

Please can you clarify this ambiguity?

On

   https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Journey/Train

there is reference to:

  Bus from the station of Varenna-Esino to Esino Lario (the bus waits for the
   train, 2.40 €). The regular bus schedule changes in winter and summer;
   for Wikimania we have increased buses.

yet you refer to a contract and special buses. What is the difference?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: transport booking

Daniel Schwen-2
1. busses from the airports to Esino (and viceversa). All people with a WMF scholarship, all WMF staff and all people who bought their airport transport have a

I've been relying on this (being a scholarship recipient). However I just found out that supposedly no bus departs on the 22nd, which is when my flight arrives.
Daniel

Re: transport booking

Andy Mabbett-2
On 13 June 2016 at 12:11, Iolanda Pensa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All people with a WMF scholarship, all WMF staff and all people who bought their airport transport have a seat on the busses

P.S. It is not clear whether "All people with a WMF scholarship"
includes people (like me) with a partial scholarship.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: transport booking

Ellie Young
Andy,

To clarify:  All WMF Full Scholarship recipients  and Board and Staff people (where WMF travel staff and/or their travel agency booked your travel),  you will have a reserved, prepaid seat on the direct shuttles as the following dates:

# June 21 and 23 only: To Esino Lario from the Malpensa (MXP) and Linate (LIN) Airports
# June 27: From Esino Lario to Malpensa (MXP) or Linate (LIN) Airports

I believe the organizers will be posting information about how /whether you there will be room for additional people beyond this group and the people who purchased early on tickets, soon.

Ellie

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13 June 2016 at 12:11, Iolanda Pensa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All people with a WMF scholarship, all WMF staff and all people who bought their airport transport have a seat on the busses

P.S. It is not clear whether "All people with a WMF scholarship"
includes people (like me) with a partial scholarship.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Ellie Young
Events Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
c. 510 701 8649

Re: transport booking

Andy Mabbett-2
On 13 June 2016 at 18:24, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To clarify:  All WMF Full Scholarship recipients  and Board and Staff people
> (where WMF travel staff and/or their travel agency booked your travel),  you
> will have a reserved, prepaid seat on the direct shuttles as the following
> dates:

So not "All people with a WMF scholarship", as was stated by Iolanda
just seven hours ago? I'm sure it is now clear why some of us are
increasingly concerned about the current situation.

But in case it is not, I also received an email from you three hours
ago, saying:

   Hello WMF Full and Partial Scholarship Recipients,

   Please note the following:

   [...]

   Travel to and from Esino Lario from Linate and Malpensa
   airports:  If you are arriving on June 21 or 23 from these
   airports, you have a pre-paid, reserved seat on the direct
   shuttle  buses departing from there on those dates.   (You
   also have the same if you are returning back to those airports
   on June 27 from Esino Lario.)   Please see the following link
   for those schedules:

To emphasise, that's "WMF Full and Partial Scholarship Recipients" in
your first mail, as opposed to "All WMF Full Scholarship recipients"
in your latest.

As a partial scholarship recipient, I am utterly confused.

> I believe the organizers will be posting information about how /whether you
> there will be room for additional people beyond this group and the people
> who purchased early on tickets, soon.

I'm not able to parse parts of the above, and I'm not clear what is
meant by "the people who purchased early on tickets". Tickets for
buses, or tickets for Wikimania? How early? How can we tell if that
applies to us?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: transport booking

Ellie Young
Andy,

So to clarify as best I can again (I'm really not trying add to the confusion only to clarify):  as a partial scholarship recipient you were responsible for your travel arrangements.   If you didn't buy a ticket on Eventbrite that the conference organizers offered for the direct shuttle (the offer was on the registration page but is no longer operable), then I think you might want to wait to hear from the conference organizers about whether or not there will be extra seats available on those shuttles for people who want to pay/arrange now or when they get there.

If you end up not being able to obtain a ride on the direct shuttle, it's really pretty straightforward to do the transport from the airports to Esino Lario via public transportation.

Ellie

"On 13 June 2016 at 19:51, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andy,
>
> So to clarify as best I can again (I'm really not trying add to the
> confusion only to clarify):  as a partial scholarship recipient you were
> responsible for your travel arrangements.

Thank you. I understand that. But we have been told that buses would
be provided, and my concern is - partly - with lack of clarity about
how, and when, to book for them, or whether the booking had been made
already. (I have, after all, received two emails today telling me,
wrongly it seems, that I already have a seat...)

Can you explain why your "Hello WMF Full and Partial Scholarship
Recipients" mail, which I quoted, said I have "a pre-paid, reserved
seat on the direct shuttle buses"? Will you now send a correction to
all recipients, as some may not be reading this list?

>  If you didn't buy a ticket on
> Eventbrite that the conference organizers offered for the direct shuttle
> (the offer was on the registration page but is no longer operable),

I don't believe I was aware of that offer, until the 6th June, when I
posted about it to this list; and again on 9th June (my posts being
unanswered until today).

> then I
> think you might want to wait to hear from the conference organizers about
> whether or not there will be extra seats available on those shuttles for
> people who want to pay/arrange now or when they get there.

I have been asking about that since the 6th June (see above) and more
than once today. the responses have, as already explained, been
contradictory. I certainly do not "want to wait" any longer - as I
said earlier, I need to have this tied up soon.

Furthermore, I have only seen references to booking /return/ tickets.
My need is, as stated previously, only in one direction, on the 27th.
Will that be possible?

> If you end up not being able to obtain a ride on the direct shuttle, it's
> really pretty straightforward to do the transport from the airports to Esino
> Lario via public transportation.

I'm not finding it straightforward; see my comments made today about
lack of clarity regarding buses from Varenna-Esino-Perledo station to
Esino Lario (and the reverse), and the claim that prior booking for
these is required. This also remains unresolved.

--
Andy Mabbett

Re: transport

Martin Rulsch
Hi!

Thanks for answering several question. As far as I can see, the question by Aude where to find the correct busses remains open. As I got the same question by a German scholar, I'd be happy forward that information.

Cheers,
Martin

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 11:42 AM, Iolanda Pensa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you for these schedules.

Think I arrive in terminal 1 at the airport.  If you can give somewhere very specific to meet (specific information desk, cafe, ...), that would help a lot to avoid getting confused when arriving.

Cheers,
Katie

@wikidata

Martin Rulsch
Team Ideenförderung

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0

Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: transport

Lodewijk
Hi Martin,

are you talking about the airport or the train station? As I understand, the train station is quite small and shouldn't be too hard.

[...]

Raul Kern
Looks like the sale for airport direct transfers has been reopened
(https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration)

--
Raul

Re: transport - Open

Iolanda Pensa
yes. You get get a ticket for the remaining seats for the airport busses (from the airports to Esino on June 21st and June 23rd and from Esino to the airports and to Milan on Monday une 27th). The eventbrite is open [1].
iolanda

[1] https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wikimania-2016-airport-transfers-tickets-22670558250#tickets

> Il giorno 15 giu 2016, alle ore 22:55, Raul Kern <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> Looks like the sale for airport direct transfers has been reopened
> (https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration)
>
> --
> Raul

Re: transport

DaB.
Hello.
Am 15.06.2016 um 22:55 schrieb Raul Kern:
> Looks like the sale for airport direct transfers has been reopened
> (https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration)

That was not the question of Martin. The question was how to find the
buses at the airport.

Sincerely,
DaB.

--
Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka und OpenPGPKey funktionieren)

Re: transport

Aude-2

On Jun 15, 2016 20:14, "DaB." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
> Am 15.06.2016 um 22:55 schrieb Raul Kern:
> > Looks like the sale for airport direct transfers has been reopened
> > (https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration)
>
> That was not the question of Martin. The question was how to find the
> buses at the airport.

The airport bus page now has a lot more of these details

I am no longer concerned that people will have trouble to find the bus at the airport

Katie

> Sincerely,
> DaB.
>

> --
> Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
> PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka und OpenPGPKey funktionieren)

Re: transport

Andrew Lih-2
Thanks to the Esino team for re-opening the bus transfers.

However, after purchasing a ticket, there seems to be a discrepancy.

I purchased a June 23, 11am MXP->Esino ticket. One part says 9am, the other part says 11am. Perhaps in copying/pasting info, something was not done correctly? Please advise.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:05 PM, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 15, 2016 20:14, "DaB." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
> Am 15.06.2016 um 22:55 schrieb Raul Kern:
> > Looks like the sale for airport direct transfers has been reopened
> > (https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration)
>
> That was not the question of Martin. The question was how to find the
> buses at the airport.

The airport bus page now has a lot more of these details

I am no longer concerned that people will have trouble to find the bus at the airport

Katie

> Sincerely,
> DaB.
>

> --
> Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
> PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka und OpenPGPKey funktionieren)

Re: transport

Anika Born
Andrew,

maybe "Date+Time" is when Wikimania takes places (in Esino Lario)? inkl. PreConference (Hackathon); from Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 9:00 AM till Monday, June 27, 2016 at 11:30 PM?

Your ticket is Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 11 AM from Malpensa to Esino (hope 11 am is departure of the bus at MXP).

Could that be?

Anika

Virenfrei. www.avast.com

Thanks to the Esino team for re-opening the bus transfers.

However, after purchasing a ticket, there seems to be a discrepancy.

I purchased a June 23, 11am MXP->Esino ticket. One part says 9am, the other part says 11am. Perhaps in copying/pasting info, something was not done correctly? Please advise.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:05 PM, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 15, 2016 20:14, "DaB." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
> Am 15.06.2016 um 22:55 schrieb Raul Kern:
> > Looks like the sale for airport direct transfers has been reopened
> > (https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration)
>
> That was not the question of Martin. The question was how to find the
> buses at the airport.

The airport bus page now has a lot more of these details

I am no longer concerned that people will have trouble to find the bus at the airport

Katie

> Sincerely,
> DaB.
>

> --
> Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
> PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka und OpenPGPKey funktionieren)

Re: transport

Andrew Lih-2
Anika, thanks for that. I think you’re right that all tickets have the June 21, 9am -> June 27, 1130pm time span on them.

That messes up some travel management systems, like Tripit, that use the field for filling in calendars and itineraries, which is where I first noticed the problem. As long as the reservation in the “Type” field is accurate, I think it should be fine.

-Andrew

-Andrew Lih
Associate professor of journalism, American University
Email: [hidden email]
WEB: http://www.andrewlih.com
BOOK: The Wikipedia Revolution: http://www.wikipediarevolution.com
PROJECT: Wiki Makes Video http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Wiki_Makes_Video

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 2:18 AM, Anika Born <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrew,

maybe "Date+Time" is when Wikimania takes places (in Esino Lario)? inkl. PreConference (Hackathon); from Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 9:00 AM till Monday, June 27, 2016 at 11:30 PM?

Your ticket is Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 11 AM from Malpensa to Esino (hope 11 am is departure of the bus at MXP).

Could that be?

Anika

Virenfrei. www.avast.com

Thanks to the Esino team for re-opening the bus transfers.

However, after purchasing a ticket, there seems to be a discrepancy.

I purchased a June 23, 11am MXP->Esino ticket. One part says 9am, the other part says 11am. Perhaps in copying/pasting info, something was not done correctly? Please advise.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:05 PM, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 15, 2016 20:14, "DaB." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
> Am 15.06.2016 um 22:55 schrieb Raul Kern:
> > Looks like the sale for airport direct transfers has been reopened
> > (https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration)
>
> That was not the question of Martin. The question was how to find the
> buses at the airport.

The airport bus page now has a lot more of these details

I am no longer concerned that people will have trouble to find the bus at the airport

Katie

> Sincerely,
> DaB.
>

> --
> Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
> PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka und OpenPGPKey funktionieren)

Re: transport

Martin Rulsch
Yes, there is more information on the airport shuttle pages but still not how to get to them. I guess it's easy to add that very helpful information. That'd be much appreciated. :-)

Cheers,
Martin

On Jun 15, 2016 20:14, "DaB." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
> Am 15.06.2016 um 22:55 schrieb Raul Kern:
> > Looks like the sale for airport direct transfers has been reopened
> > (https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration)
>
> That was not the question of Martin. The question was how to find the
> buses at the airport.

The airport bus page now has a lot more of these details

I am no longer concerned that people will have trouble to find the bus at the airport

Katie

> Sincerely,
> DaB.
>

> --
> Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
> PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka und OpenPGPKey funktionieren)

Martin Rulsch
Team Ideenförderung

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0

Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: transport

Ciell Wikipedia
Would it be usefull to know that there are volunteers with Wikimania t-shirt will welcome you in several airports?
(according to https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Journey/Airports)

Ciell