troubles with the math package.

W.-2
hi,

i am having difficulties getting the math package working and i think i am
stuck at one point and could really use some help..

some background information:
---
mediawiki version: 1.6.8
php 4.4.4 on apache 1.3.37 (User/Group nobody(99)/99)
gs 7.07
TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159
dvips(k) 5.92b
ImageMagick 6.2.9 09/07/06 Q16
---
[~/public_html/w/images]# ls -al
drwxrwxrwx   2 w w 4096 Sep 15 07:55 math/
drwxrwxrwx   2 w w 4096 Sep 15 08:04 tmp/
---
$wgUseTeX           = true;
$wgMathPath         = "{$wgUploadPath}/math";
$wgMathDirectory    = "{$wgUploadDirectory}/math";
$wgTmpDirectory     = "{$wgUploadDirectory}/tmp";
---

all the necessary packages are installed, all the permissions are set, but
whenever i try to generate a math equation on the wiki, i get this error
message saying "Failed to parse (Can't write to or create math output
directory)"

the 'math' and the 'tmp' directories under the images path are chmod'ed to
777, so i really don't understand what is wrong. i didn't touch
'$wgUploadDirectory' so according to the articles i read at the mediawiki
site, the default directory is 'images'

getting stuck at a permission problem is really nerve-wrecking so i would
really appreciate any help :)

regards
w.

Re: troubles with the math package.

Lane, Ryan
Are you on a hosted site? Does your server run SELinux in enforcing mode
(if your server has SELinux...)? Is php running in safe mode?

V/r,

Ryan Lane

yes i am on a hosted site but i can not see any indications that SELinux is
installed (tried dmesg | grep selinux , find /etc | grep selinux etc.) even
though math package can not create the equation PNGs, i can upload image
files using the upload files section in the tools of the wiki. also the php
is not running in safe mode.

thanks.

w.

Re: troubles with the math package.

Andrea Forte
This sounds a lot like the problem that I was having with imageMagick.
Apparently, there's something called context that limits what apache
has permission to do that is separate from standard permissions. (So,
even though something is chmod'd to 777, as OWNED by apache and in the
group apache, apache still can't touch it.)

You can make sure that all the directories that apache needs to
maipulate are labeled with a context that apache can read by issing
the following command in the root directory for your wiki:

chcon -R -h -t httpd_sys_content_t <directoryname>

(What I ended up doing comes from the httpd section on this page:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/release-notes/as-zseries/)

hope this helps
Andrea

On 9/15/06, W. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
>
> >>Are you on a hosted site? Does your server run SELinux in enforcing mode
> (if your server has SELinux...)? Is php running in safe mode?
>
> yes i am on a hosted site but i can not see any indications that SELinux is
> installed (tried dmesg | grep selinux , find /etc | grep selinux etc.) even
> though math package can not create the equation PNGs, i can upload image
> files using the upload files section in the tools of the wiki. also the php
> is not running in safe mode.
>

> thanks.
>
> w.

Re: troubles with the math package.

W.-2
hi,

i'm afraid the chcon command did not really work. all i got was:

     # chcon -R -h -t httpd_sys_content_t images
     chcon: can't apply partial context to unlabeled file images

after a bit of googling i found a solution which involves changing the
options of disk mounts, but unfortunately as i don't have root access to the
server it is not really applicable. (
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/printthread.php?t=44633 ) also on every
page that had information about chcon, the name SELinux was present aswell.
is it only used on systems with SELinux installed? I couldn't find any
evidence of SELinux being installed in my system (tried `dmesg | grep
selinux` and `find /etc | grep selinux` and got nothing on both of them)

thanks a lot.

w.