two-letter UK domains: any use?

Michael Peel-4
Hi all,

I've just noticed that Nominet have made two-letter UK domains available for release:
http://www.nominet.org.uk/registrants/aboutdomainnames/reserved/releaselist/

This includes wp.co.uk/wp.org.uk/etc. - does anyone think these would be useful for Wikipedia somehow?

(The deadline for applying is apparently in just under a week's time.)

Thanks,
Mike

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

David Gerard-2
On 9 June 2011 12:42, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This includes wp.co.uk/wp.org.uk/etc. - does anyone think these would be useful for Wikipedia somehow?
> (The deadline for applying is apparently in just under a week's time.)

Hey, why not? Nominet domains cost very little (a few quid a year).

- d.

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Thomas Dalton
It's worth grabbing them to prevent anyone else getting them and
misusing them, if nothing else. As David says, the cost is pretty
minimal.

I'd get wp.co.uk, wp.org.uk, wp.net.uk and the same with wm.

On 9 June 2011 12:42, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just noticed that Nominet have made two-letter UK domains available for release:
> http://www.nominet.org.uk/registrants/aboutdomainnames/reserved/releaselist/
>
> This includes wp.co.uk/wp.org.uk/etc. - does anyone think these would be useful for Wikipedia somehow?
>
> (The deadline for applying is apparently in just under a week's time.)
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Andrew Gray-3
On 9 June 2011 12:42, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just noticed that Nominet have made two-letter UK domains available for release:
> http://www.nominet.org.uk/registrants/aboutdomainnames/reserved/releaselist/
>
> This includes wp.co.uk/wp.org.uk/etc. - does anyone think these would be useful for Wikipedia somehow?
>
> (The deadline for applying is apparently in just under a week's time.)

Yes, applying for our standard two-letter abbreviations - wm, wp, etc
- seems a smart idea. Nothing ventured...

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Alex Stinson
Definitely should be on top of wm.org.uk, you could use that for the shortened url for the Wikimedia UK page,

Alex

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's worth grabbing them to prevent anyone else getting them and
misusing them, if nothing else. As David says, the cost is pretty
minimal.

I'd get wp.co.uk, wp.org.uk, wp.net.uk and the same with wm.

On 9 June 2011 12:42, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just noticed that Nominet have made two-letter UK domains available for release:
> http://www.nominet.org.uk/registrants/aboutdomainnames/reserved/releaselist/
>
> This includes wp.co.uk/wp.org.uk/etc. - does anyone think these would be useful for Wikipedia somehow?
>
> (The deadline for applying is apparently in just under a week's time.)
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Steve Virgin

Agree with Tom and David - get them

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

geni
On 9 June 2011 13:03, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 9 June 2011 12:42, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This includes wp.co.uk/wp.org.uk/etc. - does anyone think these would be useful for Wikipedia somehow?
>> (The deadline for applying is apparently in just under a week's time.)
>

> Hey, why not? Nominet domains cost very little (a few quid a year).

Because it all adds up and if you actually use the names you have to
keep paying for them.

It's not even as if "wp" is that closely associated with Wikipedia.
Online you have worldpress. Within the UK you have two police forces
and that widening participation program.

Said URLs are not even that short. wp.org.uk and wp.net.uk are pretty chunky.
--
geni

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Harry Burt
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's not even as if "wp" is that closely associated with Wikipedia.
Online you have worldpress. Within the UK you have two police forces
and that widening participation program.

Isn't that a good thing? Get some resale value? Maybe WMUK could retain ownership and lease them out - i.e. total control to ensure they aren't misused, maybe even a profit.

Okay, that's all hypothetical, but my point was that competition isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Grab a few, I say.

--
Harry (User:Jarry1250)

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Thomas Morton
With domain names I suggest ethical use; so if we are going to use them, or it is so similar/recognisable that we don't want others using it, or there is a high liklihood of spammers using them, or it is too specific a domain (i.e. miss-spellings of Wikipedia) for it to be useful to anyone else - then get them.

wp.org.uk could be useful to someone else - so lets consider whether it really is necessary.

wm.org.uk seems a good idea to get. wm.co.uk I don't think is needed.

Just my 2p anyway :)

Tom

On 9 June 2011 13:16, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Because it all adds up and if you actually use the names you have to
> keep paying for them.

It does all add up, but to a very small number. Let's say it's £5 per
year per domain (which I think is about right). 6 domains for the next
10 years would cost us £300. That would mean keeping the fundraiser
going for an extra hour to fund. It think it's worth that.

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Michael Peel-4
With these domain names, there is an extra £10 application fee, and if the domain name is contested then it goes to auction with the highest bidder winning - so the costs of these domains could be substantially higher than usual.

If there was a really pressing reason for them - e.g. if they would be well used for linking to wikipedia - then I think it would be worth getting them. Otherwise, I'm not sure we're any different from other (bigger) organisations that share the same abbreviation...

Mike

On 9 Jun 2011, at 19:08, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 June 2011 13:16, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Because it all adds up and if you actually use the names you have to
>> keep paying for them.
>
> It does all add up, but to a very small number. Let's say it's £5 per
> year per domain (which I think is about right). 6 domains for the next
> 10 years would cost us £300. That would mean keeping the fundraiser
> going for an extra hour to fund. It think it's worth that.

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

george.watson
I can see their use as a URL shortener.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/{{FULLPAGENAMEE}} gets a bit unweildy at
times, compared to, for example, http://wp.org.uk/{{REVISIONID}} or
something.

There's no pressing need, but it's a possibility. However, we'd probably
be better off getting something more international for that (wp.org, for
example).

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 20:12 +0100, Mike Peel wrote:

> With these domain names, there is an extra £10 application fee, and if the domain name is contested then it goes to auction with the highest bidder winning - so the costs of these domains could be substantially higher than usual.
>
> If there was a really pressing reason for them - e.g. if they would be well used for linking to wikipedia - then I think it would be worth getting them. Otherwise, I'm not sure we're any different from other (bigger) organisations that share the same abbreviation...
>
> Mike
>
> On 9 Jun 2011, at 19:08, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 9 June 2011 13:16, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Because it all adds up and if you actually use the names you have to
> >> keep paying for them.
> >
> > It does all add up, but to a very small number. Let's say it's £5 per
> > year per domain (which I think is about right). 6 domains for the next
> > 10 years would cost us £300. That would mean keeping the fundraiser
> > going for an extra hour to fund. It think it's worth that.

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Deryck Chan
I can see their use as a URL shortener.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/{{FULLPAGENAMEE}} gets a bit unweildy at
times, compared to, for example, http://wp.org.uk/{{REVISIONID}} or
something.

We already have enwp.org .

I think wm.org.uk or wm.co.uk will be very useful as URL shorteners for the WMUK website. Registering some of the others (wp.org.uk etc) defensively won't hurt either, although the idea is that we back off if another legitimate organisation also want them.

Deryck

On 9 June 2011 20:18, George Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can see their use as a URL shortener.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/{{FULLPAGENAMEE}} gets a bit unweildy at
times, compared to, for example, http://wp.org.uk/{{REVISIONID}} or
something.

There's no pressing need, but it's a possibility. However, we'd probably
be better off getting something more international for that (wp.org, for
example).

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 20:12 +0100, Mike Peel wrote:
> With these domain names, there is an extra £10 application fee, and if the domain name is contested then it goes to auction with the highest bidder winning - so the costs of these domains could be substantially higher than usual.
>
> If there was a really pressing reason for them - e.g. if they would be well used for linking to wikipedia - then I think it would be worth getting them. Otherwise, I'm not sure we're any different from other (bigger) organisations that share the same abbreviation...
>
> Mike
>
> On 9 Jun 2011, at 19:08, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 9 June 2011 13:16, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Because it all adds up and if you actually use the names you have to
> >> keep paying for them.
> >
> > It does all add up, but to a very small number. Let's say it's £5 per
> > year per domain (which I think is about right). 6 domains for the next
> > 10 years would cost us £300. That would mean keeping the fundraiser
> > going for an extra hour to fund. It think it's worth that.

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Douglas Gardner

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Roger Bamkin
The importance for QR codes is very important. I was not aware that we owned enwp.org, just that we had use of it.

Roger

On 9 June 2011 20:24, Douglas Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Roger Bamkin
(aka Victuallers)

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Douglas Gardner

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Thomas Morton
There was a thread on foundation-l not long ago; I think the person that owns it offered it to the foundation, but conversation seemed to peter out....

Tom

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Fae-6
My understanding (based on creating QR code templates in Wikipedia and discussing this issue some months ago) is that Wikimedia does not own enwp.org. If this has changed or someone is prepared to negotiate with the owner I would like to know as this might be of immediate benefit in how QR codes can be shortened as currently best practice forces us to not use it as an official redirect method (though I use it informally as below).

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

brian.mcneil-2
On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 11:00 +0100, Fae wrote:
> My understanding (based on creating QR code templates in Wikipedia and
> discussing this issue some months ago) is that Wikimedia does not own
> enwp.org. If this has changed or someone is prepared to negotiate with
> the owner I would like to know as this might be of immediate benefit
> in how QR codes can be shortened as currently best practice forces us
> to not use it as an official redirect method (though I use it
> informally as below).

The owner of enwp.org seems to be one Thomas Kjoerberg.

Incidentally, enWN also has enwn.net, and it's built right in to the
wiki; look for the "Shorten URL" link down the left. This is owned by
Jon Davis (ShakataGaNai), an enWN crat, and current WMF employee.

--
Brian McNeil.

Re: two-letter UK domains: any use?

Michael Peel-4
Unfortunately, I misread the deadline on the website and thought that the deadline for applying for the domain names was the 22nd - instead, that's the deadline for paying the application fee, and the deadline for putting in an application was the 15th. I was planning on putting the application for them in this evening (which was my first opportunity this week - it's been a mad week). Apologies about that.

Mike