update inside 1.5.x

jdd

update inside 1.5.x

jdd
hello,

sorry to ask again on a very often seen subject, but I
haven't really understood all :-(

I need to make update from 1.5.1 (or 2, I don't remember) to
the last one. anyway this happen at any new version.

what will I have to do to really don't have to reconfigure all?

is it enough to just save LocalSettings.php and replace all
the others things?

if I copy back LocalSettings.php, can I delete the config
folder and go on? or may I first configure then copy
LocalSettings.php?

thanks
jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net
Quelques images:

Re: update inside 1.5.x

Michael E. Hancock
From: "jdd" <[hidden email]>

> I need to make update from 1.5.1 (or 2, I don't remember) to
> the last one. anyway this happen at any new version.
>
> what will I have to do to really don't have to reconfigure all?
>
> is it enough to just save LocalSettings.php and replace all
> the others things?
>
> if I copy back LocalSettings.php, can I delete the config
> folder and go on? or may I first configure then copy
> LocalSettings.php?

Assuming you have a backup of your database and you've put the new software
in place:

1.  Make a copy of your current LocalSettings.php, then rename it to
LocalSettingshold.php
2.  Chmod 777 your config folder
3.  Visit site to run the setup--for example www.yoursite.com/config and
answer the questions.
4.  Move the newly created config/LocalSettings.php file into your main wiki
folder
5.  Chmod 600 your config folder
6.  If necessary put any custom settings back into the new LocalSettings.php

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Installation is a rich resource for this
process.

Good Luck

Michael E. Hancock

jdd

Re: update inside 1.5.x

jdd
Michael E. Hancock wrote:

> Assuming you have a backup of your database and you've put the new software
> in place:

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Installation is a rich resource for this
> process.

problem this is the same as a very new install, this I know
howto do :-)

but updates comes quite often, and probably don't need fresh
install (if not the version number would change, isn't it?).

well.. a simple patch would be nice.

thanks already for your answer
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
Quelques images:

Re: update inside 1.5.x

Brion Vibber
jdd wrote:
> I need to make update from 1.5.1 (or 2, I don't remember) to
> the last one. anyway this happen at any new version.
>
> what will I have to do to really don't have to reconfigure all?
>
> is it enough to just save LocalSettings.php and replace all
> the others things?

Yes, when upgrading within a given release branch (1.5.x to 1.5.y) just upload
the new files.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)