updated lists

463
good morning

i was wondering if you have an up dted lists so i can ask if they have any info for senior citizens

Re: updated lists

gburling
> good morning

To quote a spammer who found this list. Which now raises the question:

1. Is there a moderator for this list? If so, you know what to do.

2. Considering that these two way-off-topic emails comprise the only
traffic this list has had in many months, should this list be closed
down  & should everyone admit that there is no serious interest in
creating a US Wikimedia chapter?

Geoff

Re: updated lists

Tim McCormack
[hidden email] wrote:
> 1. Is there a moderator for this list? If so, you know what to do.

I'm the moderator, and it's been so long since I last logged in to the
administrative interface that I no longer have the password (and can't
seem to get it reset.) Which brings us to your second point:

> 2. Considering that these two way-off-topic emails comprise the only
> traffic this list has had in many months, should this list be closed
> down  & should everyone admit that there is no serious interest in
> creating a US Wikimedia chapter?

Probably.

  - Tim McCormack

Should we kill it?

Tim McCormack
[hidden email] wrote:
> 1. Is there a moderator for this list? If so, you know what to do.

Okay, found my password. (*phew*)

I've set an option so that I'll have to approve any new members on the
list. Also, the list is no longer advertised on the server.

Is there anyone who *objects* to killing this list?

  - Tim McCormack

Re: Should we kill it?

Robert S. Horning
Tim McCormack wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> 1. Is there a moderator for this list? If so, you know what to do.
>>

> Okay, found my password. (*phew*)
>
> I've set an option so that I'll have to approve any new members on the
> list. Also, the list is no longer advertised on the server.
>
> Is there anyone who *objects* to killing this list?
>
>   - Tim McCormack

While this list is significantly under-utilized, I do believe that it
serves an explicit purpose otherwise not dealt with elsewhere in the
Wikimedia Community:

Working the the creation and development of Wikimedia "chapters" within
the USA

There was some significant development in terms of a "Wikimedia
Pennsylvania" chapter, and some other similar local and state-level
chapters.  Considering how effective some of the chapters have become in
Europe, it is unfortunate that U.S. chapters aren't nearly so well
developed even  if for purely social reasons.

I have been "lurking" on here for some time, and for the most part spam
isn't really a huge problem.  In fact, the bandwidth is so low that I
don't mind the discussions on here... as compared to Foundation-l that
I've been tempted on several occasions to dump just because I can only
read about 10% (and going down) of the posts on that mailing list even
when I'm trying.  Perhaps only 1%.  That isn't the case with this
mailing list.

This said, I don't want to see this list turn into a spam trap.

-- Robert Horning

Re: Should we kill it?

Austin Hair
On Feb 19, 2008 12:18 AM, Tim McCormack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there anyone who *objects* to killing this list?

While this list has been dormant for quite some time, it's collected
quite a few people interested in the subject in one place, and it may
serve some use in the very near future.

We in the chapters committee are actively working to resolve this
issue within the next few months, and two U.S. groups are working on
formalizing with an official status.  If anyone is interested in
lending their thoughts and opinions, let me know and I'll share more
details.

Austin

Re: Should we kill it?

Angela-5
On Feb 18, 2008 10:18 PM, Tim McCormack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > 1. Is there a moderator for this list? If so, you know what to do.
>
> Okay, found my password. (*phew*)
>
> I've set an option so that I'll have to approve any new members on the
> list. Also, the list is no longer advertised on the server.
>
> Is there anyone who *objects* to killing this list?

Don't give up yet. The Wikimedia Australia mailing list was created in
March 2006, almost 2 years ago. It was a slow start, but we finally
submitted our documents to chapcom for approval of our chapter this
month. I've no doubt the US chapters will get there soon, despite
limited activity on this list.

Angela

Re: Should we kill it?

John Reaves
I'm interested in hearing the details.  Is there a Meta page associated with these happenings or a chapters wiki?

--John Reaves

On Feb 19, 2008 3:50 PM, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Feb 19, 2008 12:18 AM, Tim McCormack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there anyone who *objects* to killing this list?

While this list has been dormant for quite some time, it's collected
quite a few people interested in the subject in one place, and it may
serve some use in the very near future.

We in the chapters committee are actively working to resolve this
issue within the next few months, and two U.S. groups are working on
formalizing with an official status.  If anyone is interested in
lending their thoughts and opinions, let me know and I'll share more
details.

Austin

Re: Should we kill it?

Casey Brown-3
On Feb 19, 2008 7:14 PM, John Reaves <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm interested in hearing the details.  Is there a Meta page associated with
> these happenings

Many.

* http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters#Planned_chapters
* http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Pennsylvania
* http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_New_York_City
* http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_United_States_of_America
* http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_United_States_Chapters_Council

to name a few.

> or a chapters wiki?

Only a private one for the Chapters committee
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ChapCom>, everything else is done on
Meta.

> --John Reaves
>

> On Feb 19, 2008 3:50 PM, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 19, 2008 12:18 AM, Tim McCormack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Is there anyone who *objects* to killing this list?
> >
> > While this list has been dormant for quite some time, it's collected
> > quite a few people interested in the subject in one place, and it may
> > serve some use in the very near future.
> >
> > We in the chapters committee are actively working to resolve this
> > issue within the next few months, and two U.S. groups are working on
> > formalizing with an official status.  If anyone is interested in
> > lending their thoughts and opinions, let me know and I'll share more
> > details.
> >
> > Austin

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Should we kill it?

Tim McCormack
Angela wrote:
> Don't give up yet. The Wikimedia Australia mailing list was created in
> March 2006, almost 2 years ago. It was a slow start, but we finally
> submitted our documents to chapcom for approval of our chapter this
> month. I've no doubt the US chapters will get there soon, despite
> limited activity on this list.

Okay, I'll re-advertise the list (so it is findable).

I think that was the first spammer (now removed) to actually *join* the
list instead of just sending all their crap directly to me. For now I'll
re-open unhindered subscription and look into whether new users can be
set as moderated by default.

  - Tim McCormack (list mod)