upgrading to 1.6alfa

Ricardo Rodríguez
Hi all,

I've been looking to solve several problems with our 1.5.2 installation and it seems that 1.6alfa could be of great help. Please, is it possible to update fro 1.5.2 to 1.6alfa by giving the information of the existing database? Does the installation process update the database schema as necessary?

Ricardo Rodríguez
XEN, Resources Management

Re: upgrading to 1.6alfa

Rob Church
I'd kickstart a response by saying that if you think upgrading to
untested alpha software will fix problems with an out-of-date version
of the software, think again; it could well introduce more. If there
are specific bugs, etc. you've noticed (there are about 3 critical
ones lurking in 1.5.2, if memory serves) then you'd be better off
upgrading to MediaWiki 1.5.7.

Upgrading to HEAD is a nice double-edged sword, in my book. On the one
hand, you will be able to follow the same feature set Wikipedia and
other Wikimedia wikis benefit from; most new functionality goes into
HEAD and isn't backported to older branches. On the other hand, you'll
need to keep updating the code on a regular basis, as HEAD will
continue to be updated. That means being prepared to run the update
scripts to keep the schema up-to-date as well.

As for the mechanics of the update; upload/copy the HEAD files over
the existing ones, and run maintenance/update.php from the command
line. But I'll repeat that it doesn't necessarily sound like the best
option for you.

Rob Church

On 11/03/06, The XEN ICT Team - Ricardo Rodríguez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been looking to solve several problems with our 1.5.2 installation and it seems that 1.6alfa could be of great help. Please, is it possible to update fro 1.5.2 to 1.6alfa by giving the information of the existing database? Does the installation process update the database schema as necessary?
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Ricardo Rodríguez
> XEN, Resources Management

Re: upgrading to 1.6alfa

Ricardo Rodríguez
Update to 1.5.7 done! Servers up and running! Thanks, Rob.

As for running 1.6alfa. I've just read...

(At this time, Wikimedia sites are running the development version, which can be obtained from CVS if you're adventurous.)

If you're adventurous! So I am!!! :-)

The point is that I'm at the start point with a couple of projects over here. They are feature-xxx projects. If Wikimedia sites can take the risk, I think we can take it too! But, after reading some documents from the new release docs folder, I'm guessing it will better to update first to MySQL 5.0! 4.1.15a running here right now.

Thank you so much for your advise,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez