upload of non-empty zipfile gets this-file-is-empty error

upload of non-empty zipfile gets this-file-is-empty error

Finlay Mcwalter
I'm setting up a new mediawiki install on RHEL3, and I'm encountering
problems uploading larger.zip files to the wiki.  If I try to upload a
zip of 2.58 Mbytes (which is fine, well formed, opens in winzip
properly, no permissions issue, and certainly not empty) I get the
following mediawiki error:

"The file you uploaded seems to be empty. This might be due to a typo
in the file name. Please check whether you really want to upload this
file."

It's an internal wiki, so I don't need to impose any file-type or size
restrictions on uploads.  Clearly I've neglected a setting or two -
what should I change?

Thanks,
Finlay McWalter

Notes:
1. Image uploading works fine.

2. I've added the following to LocalSettings.php
$wgCheckFileExtensions = false;
$wgUploadSizeWarning = 10000 * 1024;

3. I also added these, although I guess wgCheckFileExtensions=false
makes them redundant
$wgStrictFileExtensions = false;
$wgFileExtensions = array( 'png', 'gif', 'jpg', 'jpeg', 'doc', 'zip',
'tar', 'gz', 'pdf' );

4. I'm running mediawiki-1.5.6, php-5.1.2, apache-2.2.0, mysql-4.1.18
on a 2.4.21 kernel

Re: upload of non-empty zipfile gets this-file-is-empty error

Brion Vibber
Finlay Mcwalter wrote:
> I'm setting up a new mediawiki install on RHEL3, and I'm encountering
> problems uploading larger.zip files to the wiki.  If I try to upload a
> zip of 2.58 Mbytes (which is fine, well formed, opens in winzip
> properly, no permissions issue, and certainly not empty) I get the
> following mediawiki error:
>
> "The file you uploaded seems to be empty. This might be due to a typo
> in the file name. Please check whether you really want to upload this
> file."

Did you check the FAQ?

-- brion @ pobox.com)

messsages

Tjipke de Vries
Hi Brion

Your messages on the various mailinglists show up here as an empty message
with two files attached: signature.asc and ATT0xxx.txt. Can you please
change this behaviour of your e-mail client? Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Tjipke de Vries
[[nl:Gebruiker:Tdevries]]

Re: messsages

Brion Vibber
Tjipke de Vries wrote:
> Your messages on the various mailinglists show up here as an empty message
> with two files attached: signature.asc and ATT0xxx.txt. Can you please
> change this behaviour of your e-mail client? Thank you very much in advance!

Tjipke,

Your e-mail client is incorrectly displaying messages with electronic
signatures. Can you please fix your e-mail client to conform to standards? Thank
you very much in advance!

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: messsages

Tjipke de Vries
> Your e-mail client is incorrectly displaying messages with
> electronic signatures. Can you please fix your e-mail client
> to conform to standards? Thank you very much in advance!

If I was able to "fix" my client, I would love to.

Not sure what standars you are referring to though. I allways learned that
it was good netiquette to post ASCII messages to mailinglist and not use
encoding of any type (e.g. MIME).

This is not a "my e-mail client is better than yours" issue, is it? Or even
a "Microsoft is sh<cencored>, because <insert reason here>. Use another
client/software/OS" issue?

I am surprised by your (sarcastic?) reaction. If I upset you with my post,
please accept my apologies, I had no intention to.

Regards,

Tjipke de Vries

Re: messsages

Gregory Maxwell
On 2/22/06, Tjipke de Vries <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I was able to "fix" my client, I would love to.
>
> Not sure what standars you are referring to though. I allways learned that
> it was good netiquette to post ASCII messages to mailinglist and not use
> encoding of any type (e.g. MIME).
>
> This is not a "my e-mail client is better than yours" issue, is it? Or even
> a "Microsoft is sh<cencored>, because <insert reason here>. Use another
> client/software/OS" issue?
>
> I am surprised by your (sarcastic?) reaction. If I upset you with my post,
> please accept my apologies, I had no intention to.

Cryptographically signed emails is nothing new or weird. Brion's
mailer is behaving normally. If it's a problem for you then it's a
problem on your side.  We should be encouraging more widespread use of
cryptographic tools, not complaining about their use.

Re: messsages

Gerard Meijssen-3
Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On 2/22/06, Tjipke de Vries <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If I was able to "fix" my client, I would love to.
>>
>> Not sure what standars you are referring to though. I allways learned that
>> it was good netiquette to post ASCII messages to mailinglist and not use
>> encoding of any type (e.g. MIME).
>>
>> This is not a "my e-mail client is better than yours" issue, is it? Or even
>> a "Microsoft is sh<cencored>, because <insert reason here>. Use another
>> client/software/OS" issue?
>>
>> I am surprised by your (sarcastic?) reaction. If I upset you with my post,
>> please accept my apologies, I had no intention to.
>>

> Cryptographically signed emails is nothing new or weird. Brion's
> mailer is behaving normally. If it's a problem for you then it's a
> problem on your side.  We should be encouraging more widespread use of
> cryptographic tools, not complaining about their use.

Hoi,
Blanket statement like these are .. inviting suggestions.
Cryptography is also used for things like DRM.. sure, bring it on.
Thanks, but let ME think about it if I want it
    GerardM

Re: messsages

Tjipke de Vries
Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cryptographically signed emails is nothing new or weird. Brion's
> mailer is behaving normally. If it's a problem for you then it's a
> problem on your side.  We should be encouraging more widespread use of
> cryptographic tools, not complaining about their use.

I have no problem with the PGP-sign at all. I have been receiving PGP-signed
messages for years without any problems. The PGP-singn shows up here as
"signature.asc" which is perfectly understandable.

The problem I have is that the _messagetext_ is not displayed aswell, I see
it as an attachment here ("ATT00715.txt" for example, in Message-ID:
<[hidden email]>).

To read the messagetext, I have to eighter open the attachment (which is not
a recommended thing to do with e-mail) or view the messagesource, which is
not handy, because it needs too many handling.

If there is any way for senders to avoid this, and still PGP-sign the
message you want to send: please do so. I'm sure I am not the only one using
MS Outlook Express here (although I understand that this is concidered
"lame" by some people).

If you send a message, I assume your intention is that others read it....

Best regards,

Tjipke

Re: messsages

Gregory Maxwell
On 2/22/06, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Cryptographically signed emails is nothing new or weird. Brion's
> > mailer is behaving normally. If it's a problem for you then it's a
> > problem on your side.  We should be encouraging more widespread use of
> > cryptographic tools, not complaining about their use.
> >
> Hoi,
> Blanket statement like these are .. inviting suggestions.
> Cryptography is also used for things like DRM.. sure, bring it on.
> Thanks, but let ME think about it if I want it
>     GerardM

Oi, I should have qualified it 'personal cryptographic tools'.  It
wouldn't take more than a glance at any of my other rants^Wposts to
see that I don't support anything which removes control from the users
of technology. :)

Tools like PGP free us from DRM because they offer us an alternative
for some of the potentially positive features without disrespecting
freedom.... But this is now well offtopic. :)

Re: messsages

Platonides
I think not all fault is due to the email reader but the
"
the result email is compliant, but, as some readers show *only* the
signature i think it's messing the reader, creating an email different than
the one your program sent.

Re: messsages

Michael Keppler
Tjipke de Vries schrieb:
> If there is any way for senders to avoid this, and still PGP-sign the
> message you want to send: please do so. I'm sure I am not the only one using
> MS Outlook Express here (although I understand that this is concidered
> "lame" by some people).

I would not call that lame. But if you know that you use a mail reader
with bugs, why don't you just switch to another one, instead of
requesting everybody else (virtually the whole world) to make some
changes on their side? Although you asked your question very politely,
that attitude seems to be a very selfish one.

I use Thunderbird and never had any problems with Brions mails (or other
signed mails).

Ciao, Michael.

Re: messsages

Tjipke de Vries
Michael Keppler schrieb:

> I would not call that lame. But if you know that you use a mail reader
> with bugs, why don't you just switch to another one, instead of
> requesting everybody else (virtually the whole world) to make some
> changes on their side? Although you asked your question very politely,
> that attitude seems to be a very selfish one.

If you want to call a desire to communicate selfish, I cannot dissagree with
you.

Just FYI: until now, I was not aware that the problem was (only) on my side.
And, as a matter of fact, I am still not entirely convinced it is.
It could very well be that my e-mail client is handling Brion's messages to
strict, it could also be that my e-mail client is not handling Brion's
messages right. It could also very well be that it is just an
incompatibility issue between the two mailclients. I don't know. But I know
one thing: you don't know what is happening at all until you raise the
issue, and that is just what I did.

And, for the record: I know my mailclient contains bugs. So does yours and
any other client, for that matter. There ain't no such thing as bugfree
software :-)
The messages with subject "MediaWiki automated test run failure" proove that
every day. (oddly enough, I can read those messages with no problem...).

Best regards,

Tjipke de Vries
[[nl:Gebruiker:Tdevries]]

Re: messsages

Rob Church
Those are being produced from a cron job running on the server, which
isn't signing the emails with PGP.

Tjipke de Vries wrote:

> Michael Keppler schrieb:
>

>> I would not call that lame. But if you know that you use a mail reader
>> with bugs, why don't you just switch to another one, instead of
>> requesting everybody else (virtually the whole world) to make some
>> changes on their side? Although you asked your question very politely,
>> that attitude seems to be a very selfish one.
>>

> If you want to call a desire to communicate selfish, I cannot dissagree with
> you.
>
> Just FYI: until now, I was not aware that the problem was (only) on my side.
> And, as a matter of fact, I am still not entirely convinced it is.
> It could very well be that my e-mail client is handling Brion's messages to
> strict, it could also be that my e-mail client is not handling Brion's
> messages right. It could also very well be that it is just an
> incompatibility issue between the two mailclients. I don't know. But I know
> one thing: you don't know what is happening at all until you raise the
> issue, and that is just what I did.
>
> And, for the record: I know my mailclient contains bugs. So does yours and
> any other client, for that matter. There ain't no such thing as bugfree
> software :-)
> The messages with subject "MediaWiki automated test run failure" proove that
> every day. (oddly enough, I can read those messages with no problem...).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tjipke de Vries
> [[nl:Gebruiker:Tdevries]]
Hoi,
The fact that every larger piece of software has bugs is a fact but it
is not an argument when you discuss behaviour of software. The Outlook
Express software is /designed /to be inferior to the software that you
have to pay for; Outlook. Microsoft also has a track record of providing
non-standard compliant software.

You are right to raise the issue but there have been many reviews where
Outlook Express has been compared with other mail clients. OE is
probably one of the worst choices you can pick. It does not comply to
standards, it is a vector for attacks on your system. All in all it is
just not a great idea to use it. You do not have to go whole hog and
move to Linux or OS-X but something like Thunderbird will improve things
for you even though much of the improvements are under the bonnet. Then
again you do not have to do anything, you can choose to do something
about it.

Thanks,
   GerardM

Re: messsages

Tjipke de Vries
Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> The fact that every larger piece of software has bugs is a fact but it
> is not an argument when you discuss behaviour of software.

Thank you, my point *exactely*.

> Then again you do not have to do anything, you can choose to do
> something  about it.

What I sense here is this: "see what nice features my new whizz-bang e-mail
client has. You can't read my messages? Too bad for you, it's YOUR problem
and YOU have to upgrade."

Somehow I expected a more caring and cooperative atmosphere here, since this
is a wikimedia mailinglist. Appearantly, I was wrong. Shame on me.

Well, I made my point and it seems that nobody cares. No big deal, it
happens in the real world all the time...

Confused and dissapointed greetings,

Tjipke de Vries
[[nl:Gebruiker:Tdevries]] & [[en:User:Tdevries]]

Re: messsages

Ryan Lane
Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen@...> writes:

> Hoi,
> The fact that every larger piece of software has bugs is a fact but it
> is not an argument when you discuss behaviour of software. The Outlook
> Express software is /designed /to be inferior to the software that you
> have to pay for; Outlook. Microsoft also has a track record of providing
> non-standard compliant software.

Not taking any sides here, but for the record, Outlook 2003 doesn't display them
correctly either. Maybe it is just a Microsoft bug in general? I recieve signed
emails all the time, and they always display fine; Brion's however, do not.

I don't really care though, if I see an email from Brion that interests me, I
use gmane's web interface.

V/r,

Ryan Lane

Re: messsages

Heinz-Josef Lücking-2
I know this OE-problem too. I remember, that i had this problem with
postings from a few posters here in this list.

Heinz