visitor stats

Chuck Smith-2
I was recently asked by the Esperanto press for visitor statistics for
the year.  I realize that grabbing the statistics is a very traffic
consuming process, but could we at least allow it to happen once a
year so we can see how much traffic we're really getting or are we
purging the logs regularly?

Thanks,
Chuck

Re: visitor stats

Brion Vibber
Chuck Smith wrote:
> I was recently asked by the Esperanto press for visitor statistics for
> the year.  I realize that grabbing the statistics is a very traffic
> consuming process, but could we at least allow it to happen once a
> year so we can see how much traffic we're really getting or are we
> purging the logs regularly?

The logs produced are many gigabytes per day; there's simply no way we can store
them for any long period.

Currently we simply have logging disabled on the squid caches. It improves
performance and we weren't able to do anything regularly with them anyway...

Some nonintrustive statistical logging would probably be useful, but this hasn't
happened yet.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: visitor stats

Evan Martin-2
> Some nonintrustive statistical logging would probably be useful, but this hasn't
> happened yet.

Could you just log one in 1000 accesses?  Hardly statistical in the
fancy sense, but you'll end up with megabytes instead of gigabytes and
you can multiply to get approximations of the actual numbers.

Re: visitor stats

Ashar Voultoiz-2
Evan Martin wrote:
> On 1/12/06, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Some nonintrustive statistical logging would probably be useful, but this hasn't
>>happened yet.
>

> Could you just log one in 1000 accesses?  Hardly statistical in the
> fancy sense, but you'll end up with megabytes instead of gigabytes and
> you can multiply to get approximations of the actual numbers.

I dont think that can be done with squid :p

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hashar

Re: Re: visitor stats

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Recently we had AOL day. Do we know how relevant the figures from
Alexa are and, do we have a clue how relevant it is on a world scale.
Of particular interest is also what their figures indicate about how
relevant we are in a specific language..

The big suprise to me was the importance of the Russian Wiktionary..

Thanks,
     GerardM