Quantcast

warning: green USB sticks

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
Just FYI, regarding the square green USB sticks,[0] that you might have received amongst the Lombardy region travel information -
I tried to check and format two of the USB sticks (one given to me by a roommate), using the linux utility badblocks[1].
Both USB sticks failed the first pass, in nearly the same section (block 516544 and block 515904). I will not be using either of them, and I suggest caution (or your own personal testing) before relying upon any from this batch.

Hope that helps. (The t-shirt thread reminded me to send this. :)

[0] with this design https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Lombardy_square.svg

Re: warning: green USB sticks

Niharika Kohli-2
A clean format of the USB stick worked for me.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 at 21:30 Nick Wilson (Quiddity) <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;nwilson@wikimedia.org&#39;);" target="_blank">nwilson@...> wrote:
Just FYI, regarding the square green USB sticks,[0] that you might have received amongst the Lombardy region travel information -
I tried to check and format two of the USB sticks (one given to me by a roommate), using the linux utility badblocks[1].
Both USB sticks failed the first pass, in nearly the same section (block 516544 and block 515904). I will not be using either of them, and I suggest caution (or your own personal testing) before relying upon any from this batch.

Hope that helps. (The t-shirt thread reminded me to send this. :)

[0] with this design https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Lombardy_square.svg

Niharika
Software Engineer (International)
Wikimedia Foundation
[User:NiharikaKohli]

Re: warning: green USB sticks

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
Joe,
Exactly.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Community Liaison, WMF

Re: warning: green USB sticks

Michael Peel-2
Error 404: I wasn't given a USB stick. But maybe I didn't lose out there?

For future Wikimanias, maybe solely providing local travel info via a wiki rather than a USB stick is a better approach?

(Not that I have much to complain about with local travel info - except for not being told that train tickets in Italy need to be validated, which is different from the UK, and that not validating leads to a fine...)

Thanks,
Mike

On 15 Jul 2016, at 21:34, Daniel Schwen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Deryck Chan

I missed out on a USB stick too :(

Mike, did someone come into our accommodation just to steal the green USB sticks from us? :'-P