wgEmergencyContact - noc@wikipedia.org

Martin Urbanec
Hello,

is it intended to have *[hidden email] <[hidden email]>* in
wgEmergencyContact in CommonSettings.php?

Martin

Re: wgEmergencyContact - noc@wikipedia.org

K. Peachey-2
Its not long used, see the documentation at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEmergencyContact

On 30 May 2018 at 06:41, Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is it intended to have *[hidden email] <[hidden email]>* in
> wgEmergencyContact in CommonSettings.php?
>
> Martin

Re: wgEmergencyContact - noc@wikipedia.org

Martin Urbanec
Still it can be set to something (variable was not depracated if I
understand the page correctly) and potentionally be used by some extensions
and/or futher versions of core.

And if the value wasn't depracated, it should be set to working real email
address. If it is depracated, it should be removed. No matter what is true,
something should be done.

Note that I don't know if [hidden email] is valid contact. I did not try
send a mail to it - as it is "emergency contact" according to the settings,
I don't want to spam if it is working (and it can be, as there are mx
records).

The question I'm raising is if we accept mail on wikipedia.org and if we
do, why we use wikipedia.org instead of wikimedia.org which is more
frequent domain for mail and which will make more sense for global setting
applicable to literally all projects WMF run.

Martin

Dne út 29. kvě 2018 22:48 uživatel K. Peachey <[hidden email]> napsal:

> Its not long used, see the documentation at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEmergencyContact
>
> On 30 May 2018 at 06:41, Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > is it intended to have *[hidden email] <[hidden email]>* in
> > wgEmergencyContact in CommonSettings.php?
> >
> > Martin

Re: wgEmergencyContact - noc@wikipedia.org

James Hare-5
On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 10:09 PM, Martin Urbanec <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The question I'm raising is if we accept mail on wikipedia.org and if we
> do, why we use wikipedia.org instead of wikimedia.org which is more
> frequent domain for mail and which will make more sense for global setting
> applicable to literally all projects WMF run.
>
> Martin

As I understand, wikipedia.org still technically works as a domain for
email, mostly as a holdover from the really old days (I'm talking like
2003). So I think the most likely explanation here is that this field was
never updated and there was never a reason to if the address still
technically works.

----
James Hare
Associate Product Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
https://wikimediafoundation.org

Re: wgEmergencyContact - noc@wikipedia.org

Daniel Zahn-2
[hidden email] is a real working address. It is an alias for
[hidden email] and that is an alias for root@ and that is an alias for
all people with root on the cluster. You would reach real people there.