what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

Brianna Laugher
Currently http://wm08reg.wikimedia.org/ redirects to
http://www.alsaha.com/ which has a lot of Arabic.

Does the schedule and talk information exist elsewhere? Can it be restored?

thanks,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

James R.
I think it might be useful to forward this onto the technical side of things (wikitech-l perhaps) as this is in the *.wikimedia.org domain it should be easy to take hold of it.

James

--
User:E from Wikimedia Foundation projects
English Wikipedia Administrator

Re: what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

Mohamed Ibrahim
The domain redirection belongs to wikitech-l, and this is the first time I hear about it, they can adjust the wikimedia sub-domains (preferably, this should redirect to wikimania2008.wikimedia.org)
about the content, I have it offline. I can upload it to any wikimedia server if possible.

Mido

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 13:43, James R. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

- Arabic Wikipedia: http://ar.wikipedia.org/  "Share your knowledge"

Re: what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

Phoebe Ayers-2
Hey Mido,
If you have the schedule and talk information, it should probably go
on wikimania2008.wikimedia.org. If it needs to be formatted we can all
help.

-- phoebe

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Mido <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The domain redirection belongs to wikitech-l, and this is the first time I
> hear about it, they can adjust the wikimedia sub-domains (preferably, this
> should redirect to wikimania2008.wikimedia.org)
> about the content, I have it offline. I can upload it to any wikimedia
> server if possible.
> Mido
>
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 13:43, James R. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think it might be useful to forward this onto the technical side of
>> things (wikitech-l perhaps) as this is in the *.wikimedia.org domain it
>> should be easy to take hold of it.
>>
>> James
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 8:37 PM, effe iets anders
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> yes, this has been reported before. There seems to be no reply from the
>>> former team :( I think it would be good if it would be restored or at least
>>> redirected to some wikimania website.
>>>
>>> Lodewijk

>> --
>> User:E from Wikimedia Foundation projects
>> English Wikipedia Administrator
>> Wikimedia Australia Member

> - Arabic Wikipedia: http://ar.wikipedia.org/  "Share your knowledge"

Re: what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

Austin Hair
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Brianna Laugher
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Currently http://wm08reg.wikimedia.org/ redirects to
> http://www.alsaha.com/ which has a lot of Arabic.

That subdomain pointed to a server maintained by the local team, which
apparently isn't answering specifically for that virtual host anymore.

> Does the schedule and talk information exist elsewhere? Can it be restored?

This was never at that address to begin with, actually; you're
probably looking for http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/

The only thing at the wm08reg site was registration- and
scholarship-related content, but if you need something that you know
was hosted there, please let me know.

Austin

Re: what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

Effe iets anders
The schedule information wás on that domain actually. It was an html output of the pentabarf. The pentabarf version should still be available through https://wikimedia.pentabarf.org/pentabarf/schedule for people with access to that.

BR, Lodewijk

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Currently http://wm08reg.wikimedia.org/ redirects to
> http://www.alsaha.com/ which has a lot of Arabic.

That subdomain pointed to a server maintained by the local team, which
apparently isn't answering specifically for that virtual host anymore.

> Does the schedule and talk information exist elsewhere? Can it be restored?

This was never at that address to begin with, actually; you're
probably looking for http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/

The only thing at the wm08reg site was registration- and
scholarship-related content, but if you need something that you know
was hosted there, please let me know.

Austin

Re: what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

Austin Hair
On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM, effe iets anders
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The schedule information wás on that domain actually. It was an html output
> of the pentabarf. The pentabarf version should still be available through
> https://wikimedia.pentabarf.org/pentabarf/schedule for people with access to
> that.

I'd forgotten about the export; I can retrieve if from my backup, but
it'd probably be better if someone with access to the Pentabarf system
exported the latest copy and put it on the wiki.

Austin

Re: what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

Effe iets anders
well, exporting it directly gives ugly html and a lot of different pages. The backup might actually be nicer to view... But if need be, I could export it again.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The schedule information wás on that domain actually. It was an html output
> of the pentabarf. The pentabarf version should still be available through
> https://wikimedia.pentabarf.org/pentabarf/schedule for people with access to
> that.

I'd forgotten about the export; I can retrieve if from my backup, but
it'd probably be better if someone with access to the Pentabarf system
exported the latest copy and put it on the wiki.

Austin

Re: what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

TzuChiang Liou
Dear Mido,

Just curious, could you find the original server that host related information?
I mean, assume it was off-line for some reasons but you could still access it.

If you manage to find/dump the data, I think we could find another server to
host it. Or format the information onto wikimania2008 pages as Phoebe suggested.

Best Regards,

Tzu-Chiang

Tzu-Chiang Liou
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tcliou
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=543610417
Email: tcliou@ {gmail.com|iis.sinica.edu.tw} || MSN: [hidden email] || Skype: tcliou

effe iets anders wrote:

> well, exporting it directly gives ugly html and a lot of different
> pages. The backup might actually be nicer to view... But if need be, I
> could export it again.
>
> Lodewijk
>
> 2008/12/14 Austin Hair <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM, effe iets anders
>      > The schedule information wás on that domain actually. It was an
>     html output
>      > of the pentabarf. The pentabarf version should still be available
>     through
>      > https://wikimedia.pentabarf.org/pentabarf/schedule for people
>     with access to
>      > that.
>
>     I'd forgotten about the export; I can retrieve if from my backup, but
>     it'd probably be better if someone with access to the Pentabarf system
>     exported the latest copy and put it on the wiki.
>
>     Austin

Re: what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

audevivere
The Wikimania registration site collected personal information from attendees.  I assumed that the Wikimedia Foundation provided the hosting, and the information was kept secure, but it appears I was wrong about that.

At this point, we should make sure the registration is handled for future Wikimania events on foundation servers, with proper safeguards for personal information.  And, it would be good to recover the information from the Wikimania 2008 site.

-Aude

effe iets anders wrote:
> well, exporting it directly gives ugly html and a lot of different
> pages. The backup might actually be nicer to view... But if need be, I
> could export it again.
>
> Lodewijk
>
> 2008/12/14 Austin Hair <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM, effe iets anders
>      > The schedule information wás on that domain actually. It was an
>     html output
>      > of the pentabarf. The pentabarf version should still be available
>     through
>      > https://wikimedia.pentabarf.org/pentabarf/schedule for people
>     with access to
>      > that.
>
>     I'd forgotten about the export; I can retrieve if from my backup, but
>     it'd probably be better if someone with access to the Pentabarf system
>     exported the latest copy and put it on the wiki.
>
>     Austin

Aude

Re: what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

audevivere
I have posted the agenda here:

http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Schedule

However, the abstracts are still missing.  If anyone has them, it would good to add those.

-Aude

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Currently http://wm08reg.wikimedia.org/ redirects to
http://www.alsaha.com/ which has a lot of Arabic.

Does the schedule and talk information exist elsewhere? Can it be restored?

thanks,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Aude

Re: what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

audevivere
This page is a spam magnet (though there are some legitimate links).  This should probably be deleted.

http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/%D8%AD%D9%88%D9%84_%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%B3%D9%83%D9%86%D8%AF%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%A9/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A5%D8%B9%D9%84%D8%A7%D9%85

-Aude

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Aude <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have posted the agenda here:

http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Schedule

However, the abstracts are still missing.  If anyone has them, it would good to add those.

-Aude

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Currently http://wm08reg.wikimedia.org/ redirects to
http://www.alsaha.com/ which has a lot of Arabic.

Does the schedule and talk information exist elsewhere? Can it be restored?

thanks,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Aude

--
Aude

Re: what happened to wm08reg.wikimedia.org ?

Al Tally
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Aude <[hidden email]> wrote:
This page is a spam magnet (though there are some legitimate links).  This should probably be deleted.

http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/%D8%AD%D9%88%D9%84_%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%B3%D9%83%D9%86%D8%AF%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%A9/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A5%D8%B9%D9%84%D8%A7%D9%85

-Aude

Deleted :-)

--