where did I read about predicting user conflicts?

where did I read about predicting user conflicts?

Kerry Raymond
Some time in the last few months (possibly at Wikimania) someone pointed me
at some research about predicting the outcome of Wikipedia consensus
building from the language they were using in Talk. I think it was either
research in progress or recently completed.

As I recall, the main "take home" message was that discussions where "you"
started to be used tended to end up in conflict and that discussions that
avoided "you" were more likely to resolve amicably.

If this rings any bells for you, can you please point me at it please.

Thanks

Kerry

Re: where did I read about predicting user conflicts?

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Kerry Raymond, 16/09/2018 12:27:
> Some time in the last few months (possibly at Wikimania) someone pointed me
> at some research about predicting the outcome of Wikipedia consensus
> building from the language they were using in Talk.

Maybe these?
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Newsletter/2012/January#Admins_influence_the_language_of_non-admins>
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Newsletter/2016/May#A_new_algorithmic_tool_for_analyzing_rationales_on_articles_for_deletion>

This one interested me the most (Centre Stage: How Social Network
Position Shapes Linguistic Coordination, by Bill Noble and Raquel
Fernández):
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Newsletter/2015/May#Talking_like_an_admin:_linguistic_mimicry_and_network_centrality_on_Wikipedia>

It shows how one gains influence in the English Wikipedia by adopting
the dominant language and language style. I onserve similar patterns in
other language editions, it would be great to repeat the study on other
Wikipedias.

Federico

Re: where did I read about predicting user conflicts?

Tilman Bayer
Maybe it was this research ? https://blog.wikimedia.org/201
8/06/13/conversations-gone-awry/

Or perhaps you were recalling the talk page research summarized in this
year's "State of Wikimedia Research"
<https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Program/State_of_Wikimedia_Research_2017-2018>
Wikimania presentation? https://mako.cc/talks/201807-wikimania_research.pdf

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 2:27 AM, Kerry Raymond <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Some time in the last few months (possibly at Wikimania) someone pointed me
> at some research about predicting the outcome of Wikipedia consensus
> building from the language they were using in Talk. I think it was either
> research in progress or recently completed.
>

> As I recall, the main "take home" message was that discussions where "you"
> started to be used tended to end up in conflict and that discussions that
> avoided "you" were more likely to resolve amicably.
>

> If this rings any bells for you, can you please point me at it please.
>

> Thanks
>

> Kerry

Tilman Bayer
Senior Analyst
Wikimedia Foundation
IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: where did I read about predicting user conflicts?

Jonathan Morgan
Kerry,

Here are a couple recent pieces on predicting conversation outcomes, that
I'm aware of.

1. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1805.05345.pdf
2. http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/I17-1103

There's another recent one about predicting whether RFCs will be closed,
that Chris Schilling worked on with some folks from MIT. That's been
accepted to a conference, but not officially published yet--so I don't
*think* Mako would have mentioned it at Wikimania?

Hope that helps,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 10:44 AM, Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe it was this research ? https://blog.wikimedia.org/201
> 8/06/13/conversations-gone-awry/
>
> Or perhaps you were recalling the talk page research summarized in this
> year's "State of Wikimedia Research"
> <https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Program/
> State_of_Wikimedia_Research_2017-2018>
> Wikimania presentation? https://mako.cc/talks/201807-
> wikimania_research.pdf
>
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 2:27 AM, Kerry Raymond <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Some time in the last few months (possibly at Wikimania) someone pointed
> me
> > at some research about predicting the outcome of Wikipedia consensus
> > building from the language they were using in Talk. I think it was either
> > research in progress or recently completed.
> >

> > As I recall, the main "take home" message was that discussions where
> "you"
> > started to be used tended to end up in conflict and that discussions that
> > avoided "you" were more likely to resolve amicably.
> >

> > If this rings any bells for you, can you please point me at it please.
> >

> > Thanks
> >

> > Kerry

> Tilman Bayer
> Senior Analyst
> Wikimedia Foundation
> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
Wikimedia Foundation
User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Re: where did I read about predicting user conflicts?

Kerry Raymond
Thank  you, that was the one I was looking for!

Thank you too to the other suggestions that people have sent me. While they weren’t exactly what I was looking for, they were all interesting reading nonetheless.

Kerry