why to donate

Dr. Nawab Hakim
hai, why to donate to wikipedia chapter when they have 2lakh ruppes. this is cheating.

Re: why to donate

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
Hi Dr. Nawab Hakim,
to clarify, the 2lakh that you are referring to was made as a grant to the Centre for Internet and Society, an independent organisation working out of Delhi.

The Wikimedia Chapter (India) is independent society registered in India, under the Karnataka Societies Act. It is a Non-Profit entity comprising of volunteers. We rely on donations to run the Chapter.

I hope this clears it out.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Dr. Nawab Hakim <[hidden email]> wrote:
hai, why to donate to wikipedia chapter when they have 2lakh ruppes. this is cheating.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Member of the Executive Committee
Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Re: why to donate

Rudolph the Rd Nosed Reindeer
Interesting isn't it? That one should have timed that A2K bulletin to come out exactly when the Chapter is having a fundraiser and leave people like the good Doctor here confused about all this? Seems a bit deliberately done, don't you think?

Too bad I ain't an Indian citizen, Else I would have donated a tremendous amount to you guys.
Will spread the word on donations though.

For others, please donate (liberally);
http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donate

Re: why to donate

Abhishek Suryawanshi

It will be unfair to call it cheating, however -

1)Chapter is having 1.5 Lack+ Rupees in existing account.

2)Major Chapter Expenses such as Flight Tickets for AGM are covered by CIS.

I am waiting for someone to answer simple query - How much money is required for next year activities? and Which activities are planned?

Lets have this clarity and transparency, so together we can make sure India Chapter is also strong (financially) like other Chapters.

Regards,
-Abhishek Suryawanshi,
On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Rudolph the Rd Nosed Reindeer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Interesting isn't it? That one should have timed that A2K bulletin to come out exactly when the Chapter is having a fundraiser and leave people like the good Doctor here confused about all this? Seems a bit deliberately done, don't you think?

Too bad I ain't an Indian citizen, Else I would have donated a tremendous amount to you guys.
Will spread the word on donations though.

For others, please donate (liberally);
http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donate

Re: why to donate

Gautam John-3
On 11 February 2013 22:54, Abhishek Suryawanshi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2)Major Chapter Expenses such as Flight Tickets for AGM are covered by CIS.

I was unaware of this. Where is this from, Abhishek?

Thank you.

Best,

Gautam
________
http://www.akshara.org.in/

Re: why to donate

Karthik Nadar-2
Abhishek,

I'm not sure where you are getting this information from. Please get your facts straight and stop speaking for the chapter.  If you have a question, you can ask it in the form of a question instead of making unsubstantiated claims on a public mailing list, which is frankly unproductive since it requires us to spend time to send out clarifications.

In case you are curious about the state of our finances, please refer to our annual report which is linked from the main page of our website (wiki.wikimedia.in) in compliance with the requirements of the Wikimedia Foundation and Karnataka law.

Regards,
Karthik Nadar,
Secretary, Wikimedia India Chapter.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Abhishek Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Abhishek, how dramatic of you!?!?
I thought you were a Wikipedian but evidwntly you have missed out on an important concept called Verifiability. Please substantiate your claim with a proper source.
Also the Annual General Meeting,aka AGM was last held in September 2012 which would imply that the next one would be a year later. Where does flight tickets for something NINE WHOLE MONTHS AWAY come from?

Re: why to donate

Sudhanwa Jogalekar
Dear Abhishek,

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It will be unfair to call it cheating, however -

Writing something baseless is completely unfair. That too you are
hinting as cheating which is absolutely wrong and offending.

> 1)Chapter is having 1.5 Lack+ Rupees in existing account.

I don't know from where you have these numbers. I assume if you know
these numbers, you will be knowing the expenditures as well as
provisions for some future events/activities. If you give that
information too, then it will be a fair statement.

> 2)Major Chapter Expenses such as Flight Tickets for AGM are covered by CIS.

Absolutely wrong information you have got.
Looks like it is time you dump your info-providers (खबरी लोग ) :-)

> I am waiting for someone to answer simple query - How much money is required
> for next year activities? and Which activities are planned?

Grant requests are always on public wiki and the numbers are always
open to all for discussions. You will find these details in the
upcoming requests. Asaf has already indicated the same on the list.

If you have any activities planned, please let us know. We will plan
the resources accordingly (budgets, people etc) Same request also goes
to all the people in the community. Please let us know what you want
to do. We are here to support you in whatever best way we can. Do not
hesitate to ask for support.

> Lets have this clarity and transparency, so together we can make sure India
> Chapter is also strong (financially) like other Chapters.

The way you expect clarity and transparency from chapter, chapter also
seeks the same thing from you. Please be open and transparent to the
community. The more you become transparent, it is better for all.
All the chapter reports are open. However, there could be some
regulatory limitations/restrictions for the same. Compared to an
informal club or group activities, chapter has far more regulatory
compliances. Within that, we do our best to help various events and
activities.

Please remember that chapter is representation of the community and
works for the community. All these activities are also done
voluntarily- just like community does. If community shows trust and
confidence in the chapter, it will become strong and in turn community
becomes stronger.

Regards,
-Sudhanwa

[snip]

Re: why to donate

Rudolph the Rd Nosed Reindeer
Rightly said Mr. Secretary.
Abhishek, areyou a chapteer Member?
if,justify itwith some work.
Else, Stop speakingfor  the CHAPTER.
Re

Re: why to donate

Rudolph the Rd Nosed Reindeer
Well said Me. President. Good job!

> From: sudhanwa.com@gmail.com
> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 00:23:41 +0530
> To: wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] why to donate
>
> Dear Abhishek,
>
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Abhishek Suryawanshi
> <i.abhishek.suryawanshi@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It will be unfair to call it cheating, however -
>

> Writing something baseless is completely unfair. That too you are
> hinting as cheating which is absolutely wrong and offending.
>

> > 1)Chapter is having 1.5 Lack+ Rupees in existing account.
>
> I don't know from where you have these numbers. I assume if you know
> these numbers, you will be knowing the expenditures as well as
> provisions for some future events/activities. If you give that
> information too, then it will be a fair statement.
>

> > 2)Major Chapter Expenses such as Flight Tickets for AGM are covered by CIS.
>
> Absolutely wrong information you have got.
> Looks like it is time you dump your info-providers (खबरी लोग ) :-)
>
> > I am waiting for someone to answer simple query - How much money is required
> > for next year activities? and Which activities are planned?
>
> Grant requests are always on public wiki and the numbers are always
> open to all for discussions. You will find these details in the
> upcoming requests. Asaf has already indicated the same on the list.
>
> If you have any activities planned, please let us know. We will plan
> the resources accordingly (budgets, people etc) Same request also goes
> to all the people in the community. Please let us know what you want
> to do. We are here to support you in whatever best way we can. Do not
> hesitate to ask for support.
>
> > Lets have this clarity and transparency, so together we can make sure India
> > Chapter is also strong (financially) like other Chapters.
>
> The way you expect clarity and transparency from chapter, chapter also
> seeks the same thing from you. Please be open and transparent to the
> community. The more you become transparent, it is better for all.
> All the chapter reports are open. However, there could be some
> regulatory limitations/restrictions for the same. Compared to an
> informal club or group activities, chapter has far more regulatory
> compliances. Within that, we do our best to help various events and
> activities.
>
> Please remember that chapter is representation of the community and
> works for the community. All these activities are also done
> voluntarily- just like community does. If community shows trust and
> confidence in the chapter, it will become strong and in turn community
> becomes stronger.
>
> Regards,
> -Sudhanwa
>
> [snip]

Re: why to donate

Dhaval S. Vyas

On 11 Feb 2013 17:25, "Abhishek Suryawanshi" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It will be unfair to call it cheating, however -
>
> 1)Chapter is having 1.5 Lack+ Rupees in existing account.

And what do you think could be done by that HUGE AMOUNT of 1.5+ Indian Rupees?

I think chapter has its office in Bangalore and based on my experience, I know that any property requires paying off few bills, e.g. electricity, water, property tax, tel/internet (if it has got) and these things are not so cheap in Today's India as they were in my days of teen (20 years ago).

> 2)Major Chapter Expenses such as Flight Tickets for AGM are covered by CIS.

I qlways thought WMIN and CIS were two seperate entities and their finances are dealt seperately. Will love you elaborating more on this.

> I am waiting for someone to answer simple query - How much money is required for next year activities? and Which activities are planned?

I don't think this is a simple query Abhishek. Have you seen chapter website? I'll strongly recomend you visit it. There is a link to Grants page in navigation menu. If you visit that page, you'll realise that chapter has funded several activities carried out by communities. Do you think will it be possible for chapter to tell you today that how many grant requests it is going to get this year? How much ammount will it be requested from various communities? Or do you suggest chapter decide a figure today and put a cap on grants and other expenses once that amount is used?

This is just one example, don't take it as "the only expense" of chapter.

> Lets have this clarity and transparency, so together we can make sure India Chapter is also strong (financially) like other Chapters.
>

> Regards,
> -Abhishek Suryawanshi,
> On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune

Regards,
Dhaval
(on my own behalf)

Disclaimer: I have no formal tie with the chapter nor with CIS. I have no financial inrerest with either of them personally.

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Rudolph the Rd Nosed Reindeer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Interesting isn't it? That one should have timed that A2K bulletin to come out exactly when the Chapter is having a fundraiser and leave people like the good Doctor here confused about all this? Seems a bit deliberately done, don't you think?
>>
>> Too bad I ain't an Indian citizen, Else I would have donated a tremendous amount to you guys.
>> Will spread the word on donations though.
>>

>> For others, please donate (liberally);
>> http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donate
>>
>> ________________________________
>> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 18:33:02 +0530
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] why to donate
>>

>> Hi Dr. Nawab Hakim,
>> to clarify, the 2lakh that you are referring to was made as a grant to the Centre for Internet and Society, an independent organisation working out of Delhi.
>>
>> The Wikimedia Chapter (India) is independent society registered in India, under the Karnataka Societies Act. It is a Non-Profit entity comprising of volunteers. We rely on donations to run the Chapter.
>>
>> I hope this clears it out.
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Dr. Nawab Hakim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> hai, why to donate to wikipedia chapter when they have 2lakh ruppes. this is cheating.

>> --
>> Srikanth Ramakrishnan
>> Member of the Executive Committee
>> Wikimedia Chapter [India]
>>
>> Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today

Re: why to donate

Abhishek Suryawanshi

I meant Board Meeting.  Sorry for confusion and apologies for same.

Chapter flight tickets and travel expenses are covered by CIS, Correct me if I am wrong???

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Dhaval S. Vyas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] why to donate
>>

>> Hi Dr. Nawab Hakim,
>> to clarify, the 2lakh that you are referring to was made as a grant to the Centre for Internet and Society, an independent organisation working out of Delhi.
>>
>> The Wikimedia Chapter (India) is independent society registered in India, under the Karnataka Societies Act. It is a Non-Profit entity comprising of volunteers. We rely on donations to run the Chapter.
>>
>> I hope this clears it out.
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Dr. Nawab Hakim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> hai, why to donate to wikipedia chapter when they have 2lakh ruppes. this is cheating.

>> --
>> Srikanth Ramakrishnan
>> Member of the Executive Committee
>> Wikimedia Chapter [India]
>>
>> Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today

Abhishek,  where are you getting these ideas from? As our Secretary
stated, please stop speaking for us. Substantiate your claim that CIS
is funding us. The Chapter is financially accountable to it's MEMBERS,
and will put up all Grants, and other details in public. Running a
society in India has a thousand formalities with various Government
departments.

On 2/12/13, Abhishek Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> > -Abhishek Suryawanshi,
>> > On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune
>> >

>> Regards,
>> Dhaval
>> (on my own behalf)
>>
>> Disclaimer: I have no formal tie with the chapter nor with CIS. I have no
>> financial inrerest with either of them personally.

>> come out exactly when the Chapter is having a fundraiser and leave people
>> like the good Doctor here confused about all this? Seems a bit
>> deliberately
>> done, don't you think?

>> tremendous amount to you guys.

>> the Centre for Internet and Society, an independent organisation working
>> out of Delhi.

>> India, under the Karnataka Societies Act. It is a Non-Profit entity
>> comprising of volunteers. We rely on donations to run the Chapter.

Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donations>

Re: why to donate

Theo Fan
I would rather give the last word to Theo. He is closely involved with the India chapter, he is the figurehead of the Indian community, he ran for many kind of board positions everywhere and ALMOST WON but totally lost and he has worked with the Wiki Foundation for YEARS - although mostly unpaid apart from that one well paid job with them in the beautiful city of San Fransico for a few months, and he did tell me he was in the process of negotiating something for himself in India (or was it Brazil? or both?) when I last checked. To be fair, I don't think anything has worked out for him, dunno why.

Theo where do all these flight tickets come from? Why is the chapter sitting on so much money? How is CIS doing BAD STUFF here? Who is good and who is BAD? Etc. Very difficult to level baseless accusations and create noise without clear direction. Thank you.

I thought you were a Wikipedian but evidwntly you have missed out on an important concept called Verifiability. Please substantiate your claim with a proper source.
Also the Annual General Meeting,aka AGM was last held in September 2012 which would imply that the next one would be a year later. Where does flight tickets for something NINE WHOLE MONTHS AWAY come from?

Re: why to donate

Theo Fan
Humpf. Theo > President.

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Abhishek Suryawanshi
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > It will be unfair to call it cheating, however -
>

> Writing something baseless is completely unfair. That too you are
> hinting as cheating which is absolutely wrong and offending.
>

> > 1)Chapter is having 1.5 Lack+ Rupees in existing account.
>
> I don't know from where you have these numbers. I assume if you know
> these numbers, you will be knowing the expenditures as well as
> provisions for some future events/activities. If you give that
> information too, then it will be a fair statement.
>

> > 2)Major Chapter Expenses such as Flight Tickets for AGM are covered by CIS.
>
> Absolutely wrong information you have got.
> Looks like it is time you dump your info-providers (खबरी लोग ) :-)
>
> > I am waiting for someone to answer simple query - How much money is required
> > for next year activities? and Which activities are planned?
>
> Grant requests are always on public wiki and the numbers are always
> open to all for discussions. You will find these details in the
> upcoming requests. Asaf has already indicated the same on the list.
>
> If you have any activities planned, please let us know. We will plan
> the resources accordingly (budgets, people etc) Same request also goes
> to all the people in the community. Please let us know what you want
> to do. We are here to support you in whatever best way we can. Do not
> hesitate to ask for support.
>
> > Lets have this clarity and transparency, so together we can make sure India
> > Chapter is also strong (financially) like other Chapters.
>
> The way you expect clarity and transparency from chapter, chapter also
> seeks the same thing from you. Please be open and transparent to the
> community. The more you become transparent, it is better for all.
> All the chapter reports are open. However, there could be some
> regulatory limitations/restrictions for the same. Compared to an
> informal club or group activities, chapter has far more regulatory
> compliances. Within that, we do our best to help various events and
> activities.
>
> Please remember that chapter is representation of the community and
> works for the community. All these activities are also done
> voluntarily- just like community does. If community shows trust and
> confidence in the chapter, it will become strong and in turn community
> becomes stronger.
>
> Regards,
> -Sudhanwa
>
> [snip]

Re: why to donate

Siebrand Mazeland (WMF)
That is enough, I guess.

Please take a breath, and rethink why you are on this mailing list of the "Wikimedia India Community".

If you don't want to be part of the community, please unsubscribe. If your intention is to offend others, please unsubscribe, because you are not being helpful. If your intention is to discuss, and not act, please leave; you are not being helpful. Put your feet where your mouth is so to speak.

It saves you and the subscribers a lot of headaches.

Cheers!

Siebrand

Re: why to donate

Abhishek Suryawanshi

I am talking about upcoming Board Meeting, Correct me if someone else is funding Travel expenses of Chapter. Its CIS right?

Point is - If expenses are well known like this, other organizations can chip in to support Chapter. And 'in-kind' donations will be helpful.

Its good to see CIS is helping Chapter, and why Chapter wants to keep it as secret? At same time there are dedicated efforts in all mails to keep everyone in dark about Travel support, is there any specific reason behind it??

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > Regards,
>> > -Abhishek Suryawanshi,
>> > On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune
>> >

>> Regards,
>> Dhaval
>> (on my own behalf)
>>
>> Disclaimer: I have no formal tie with the chapter nor with CIS. I have no
>> financial inrerest with either of them personally.

>> come out exactly when the Chapter is having a fundraiser and leave people
>> like the good Doctor here confused about all this? Seems a bit
>> deliberately
>> done, don't you think?

>> tremendous amount to you guys.

>> the Centre for Internet and Society, an independent organisation working
>> out of Delhi.

>> India, under the Karnataka Societies Act. It is a Non-Profit entity
>> comprising of volunteers. We rely on donations to run the Chapter.

i am not talk about 1.5 lakh. i am talk about 2. lak that noobur talk about in old mail.

> [...]

>> > Regards,
>> > -Abhishek Suryawanshi,
>> > On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune
>> >

>> Regards,
>> Dhaval
>> (on my own behalf)
>>
>> Disclaimer: I have no formal tie with the chapter nor with CIS. I have no
>> financial inrerest with either of them personally.

>> come out exactly when the Chapter is having a fundraiser and leave people
>> like the good Doctor here confused about all this? Seems a bit
>> deliberately
>> done, don't you think?

>> tremendous amount to you guys.

>> the Centre for Internet and Society, an independent organisation working
>> out of Delhi.

>> India, under the Karnataka Societies Act. It is a Non-Profit entity
>> comprising of volunteers. We rely on donations to run the Chapter.

Sohan Maheshwar
I smell a troll.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Dr. Nawab Hakim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > Regards,
>> > -Abhishek Suryawanshi,
>> > On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune
>> >

>> Regards,
>> Dhaval
>> (on my own behalf)
>>
>> Disclaimer: I have no formal tie with the chapter nor with CIS. I have no
>> financial inrerest with either of them personally.

>> come out exactly when the Chapter is having a fundraiser and leave people
>> like the good Doctor here confused about all this? Seems a bit
>> deliberately
>> done, don't you think?

>> tremendous amount to you guys.

>> the Centre for Internet and Society, an independent organisation working
>> out of Delhi.

>> India, under the Karnataka Societies Act. It is a Non-Profit entity
>> comprising of volunteers. We rely on donations to run the Chapter.

My dear Doctor, it is 26,000,000. That is 2.6 crore, not lakh.
It belongs to CIS, not the Chapter.
CIS is a totally different organization, not related to the Chapter is any way whatsoever.
It consists of interesting (for a psychologist) people like Noopur, Nitika, and Subhashish. They get paid.
Chapter is volunteers, not paid, no pay, no money, gratis, Google Treanslate says मुक्त.
I hope you get my point. It is after all, Elementary, My dear Doctor.

CIS=Money.
Chapter=No Money.
CIS=Rich.
Chapter=Poor.