.wiki gTLD

Re: .wiki gTLD

Quinn
addshorewiki wrote
en.wiki
data.wiki
meta.wiki
media.wiki
en.books.wiki
en.voyage.wiki
I plead with anyone willing to listen: do not jump on the temptation to have a dozen vanity domains for one person, project, or organization. One delegated zone from the top level zone is good enough.

Re: .wiki gTLD

Quinn
Jeremy Baron wrote
Could I register starwars.wiki in order to redirect it to
starwars.wikia.com ? (or if wikia offered white labeling to host it in
place?)
Duplicate the zone and add additional resource requirements (a slew of new server virtual host configurations) just for vanity?

Re: .wiki gTLD

Jeremy Baron
On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 5:20 AM, Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jeremy Baron wrote
>> Could I register starwars.wiki in order to redirect it to
>> starwars.wikia.com ? (or if wikia offered white labeling to host it in
>> place?)
>
> Duplicate the zone and add additional resource requirements (a slew of new
> server virtual host configurations) just for vanity?

Your quote could use some more context. Whether it should be
registered is irrelevant. That was about whether it *could* be. (or if
it would be prevented because of the use of a trademark)

-Jeremy

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:24 AM, Jeremy Baron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Your quote could use some more context. Whether it should be
> registered is irrelevant. That was about whether it *could* be. (or if
> it would be prevented because of the use of a trademark)

If you were delegated authority for "startwars.wiki." by the operators
of "wiki." and added
"starwars.wiki.    IN    CNAME    starwars.wikia.com."
to your zone file, George Lucas and friends may attempt to prevent you
from using the zone/record. I'd assume the closer your zone/record
gets to the root the more of a chance they would have of convincing a
judge that they needed to defend the trademark.

WMF wouldn't have a say in the matter.

Re: .wiki gTLD

Jasper Deng
Ultimately, registering .wiki names for Wikimedia wikis might improve
accessibility to our wikis and further the concept of wikis in general, but
(second-level) domain names aren't free (with few exceptions), so the
foundation would have to take it up as an additional cost.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM, Quinn Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jeremy Baron wrote
> > Could I register starwars.wiki in order to redirect it to
> > starwars.wikia.com ? (or if wikia offered white labeling to host it in
> > place?)
>
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:24 AM, Jeremy Baron <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Your quote could use some more context. Whether it should be
> > registered is irrelevant. That was about whether it *could* be. (or if
> > it would be prevented because of the use of a trademark)
> >
> If you were delegated authority for "startwars.wiki." by the operators
> of "wiki." and added
> "starwars.wiki.    IN    CNAME    starwars.wikia.com."
> to your zone file, George Lucas and friends may attempt to prevent you
> from using the zone/record. I'd assume the closer your zone/record
> gets to the root the more of a chance they would have of convincing a
> judge that they needed to defend the trademark.
>
> WMF wouldn't have a say in the matter.

Re: .wiki gTLD

VP Singh
For the record

media.wiki is registered by Top design LLC or reserved.

You have to sue them to get the name or just ignore them.

On 3/25/14, Jasper Deng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ultimately, registering .wiki names for Wikimedia wikis might improve
> accessibility to our wikis and further the concept of wikis in general, but
> (second-level) domain names aren't free (with few exceptions), so the
> foundation would have to take it up as an additional cost.
>

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM, Quinn Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Jeremy Baron wrote
>> > Could I register starwars.wiki in order to redirect it to
>> > starwars.wikia.com ? (or if wikia offered white labeling to host it in
>> > place?)
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:24 AM, Jeremy Baron <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Your quote could use some more context. Whether it should be
>> > registered is irrelevant. That was about whether it *could* be. (or if
>> > it would be prevented because of the use of a trademark)
>> >
>> If you were delegated authority for "startwars.wiki." by the operators
>> of "wiki." and added
>> "starwars.wiki.    IN    CNAME    starwars.wikia.com."
>> to your zone file, George Lucas and friends may attempt to prevent you
>> from using the zone/record. I'd assume the closer your zone/record
>> gets to the root the more of a chance they would have of convincing a
>> judge that they needed to defend the trademark.
>>
>> WMF wouldn't have a say in the matter.

Re: .wiki gTLD

Derric Atzrott
> For the record
> media.wiki is registered by Top design LLC or reserved.
> You have to sue them to get the name or just ignore them.

My understanding from before was that the WMF was in talks with them about our trademarks.

Erik had earlier stated: "We've been in discussions with Top Level Design, both to look into potentially appropriate uses (e.g. URL shorteners) and to prevent squatting of WMF trademarks."

I imagine that this is just that in action.

Thank you,
Derric Atzrott