wiki markup lacks HTML precision anchors

wiki markup lacks HTML precision anchors

jidanni
While I would not list the Mediawiki language as a 'crap' language,
I still think it is regretful that one cannot achieve the precision of
an HTML <a name="bla"> anchor, to say, make a link to a spot anywhere
within a page, whereas with the Mediawiki language, the best one can do
is link to the top of a table for example,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Chinese_phonology#Initials
instead of also to a random point within say, giant tables.

Re: wiki markup lacks HTML precision anchors

Chad
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> While I would not list the Mediawiki language as a 'crap' language,
> I still think it is regretful that one cannot achieve the precision of
> an HTML <a name="bla"> anchor, to say, make a link to a spot anywhere
> within a page, whereas with the Mediawiki language, the best one can do
> is link to the top of a table for example,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Chinese_phonology#Initials
> instead of also to a random point within say, giant tables.

And <span id="bla"> doesn't work why?

-Chad

Re: wiki markup lacks HTML precision anchors

Jay Ashworth-2
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > While I would not list the Mediawiki language as a 'crap' language,
> > I still think it is regretful that one cannot achieve the precision
> > of
> > an HTML <a name="bla"> anchor, to say, make a link to a spot
> > anywhere
> > within a page, whereas with the Mediawiki language, the best one can
> > do
> > is link to the top of a table for example,
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Chinese_phonology#Initials
> > instead of also to a random point within say, giant tables.
> >

> And <span id="bla"> doesn't work why?

You can #-link to a *span name*?  Really?

I didn't know that.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       [hidden email]
Designer                     The Things I Think                       RFC 2100

Re: wiki markup lacks HTML precision anchors

Alexander-166
On Jul 6, 2011, at 19:55, Jay Ashworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

IIRC, all modern browsers support hash linking to any element with an id attribute.
--Alexander

Re: wiki markup lacks HTML precision anchors

Daniel Friesen-4
On 11-07-06 08:27 PM, Alexander wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2011, at 19:55, Jay Ashworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, in fact that's the standard. The standard has been id="" since
XHTML. HTML5 continues it, name="" is gone. Only ancient HTML4 used <a
name=""> and it's only used in obsolete browsers now.

Re: wiki markup lacks HTML precision anchors

Aryeh Gregor
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> IIRC, all modern browsers support hash linking to any element with an id attribute.

Where "modern" means something like "since IE5", yes.  All browsers we
care about even slightly support linking to id's, and most browsers we
don't care about even slightly do too.

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Daniel Friesen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, in fact that's the standard. The standard has been id="" since
> XHTML. HTML5 continues it, name="" is gone. Only ancient HTML4 used <a
> name=""> and it's only used in obsolete browsers now.

More precisely, <a name=""> still works fine in all browsers, as
required by HTML5, and will continue to work forever in all browsers.
HTML5 defines <a name=""> as "obsolete but conforming", so validators
will raise a warning but not an error:

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/obsolete.html#warnings-for-obsolete-but-conforming-features

Re: wiki markup lacks HTML precision anchors

jidanni
C> And <span id="bla"> doesn't work why?
And indeed, there it is,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:HTML_in_wikitext#Using_.3Cspan.3E_as_a_link_target
The first time I've ever been wrong about anything here.