wiki page trough email

nevio carlos de alarcão
Hi, I need to send by email an specific page of the wiki that is on my
localhost and I'm planning to host on internet. What's the easier way to do
it?
Best, Névio

--
{+}Nevinho
Venha para o Movimento Colaborativo http://sextapoetica.com.br !!

Re: wiki page trough email

Jan Steinman
> From: nevio carlos de alarc?o <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi, I need to send by email an specific page of the wiki that is on my
> localhost and I'm planning to host on internet. What's the easier
> way to do
> it?

If you're on Mac Safari, simply press CMD-I or the menu "File --> Mail
Contents of This Page..."

I'm sure Windows has something similar.

Re: wiki page trough email

nevio carlos de alarcão
Thank you, I'll try it. Best Regards

2010/2/8 Jan Steinman <[hidden email]>

> > From: nevio carlos de alarc?o <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Hi, I need to send by email an specific page of the wiki that is on my
> > localhost and I'm planning to host on internet. What's the easier
> > way to do
> > it?
>
> If you're on Mac Safari, simply press CMD-I or the menu "File --> Mail
> Contents of This Page..."
>
> I'm sure Windows has something similar.

{+}Nevinho
Venha para o Movimento Colaborativo http://sextapoetica.com.br !!

Re: wiki page trough email

nevio carlos de alarcão

> If you're on Mac Safari, simply press CMD-I or the menu "File --> Mail

Contents of This Page..

Hi Jan,

I've just tried it but on menu it is  File --> Send Link by Email.

My problem is that the page I want to send is on localhost and not reachable
trough Internet.

Is there any other way left to me?

Thank for attention. Regards, Nevio

2010/2/8 nevio carlos de alarcão <[hidden email]>

> Thank you, I'll try it. Best Regards
>
> 2010/2/8 Jan Steinman <[hidden email]>
>
> > From: nevio carlos de alarc?o <[hidden email]>
>> >
>> > Hi, I need to send by email an specific page of the wiki that is on my
>> > localhost and I'm planning to host on internet. What's the easier
>> > way to do
>> > it?
>>
>> If you're on Mac Safari, simply press CMD-I or the menu "File --> Mail
>> Contents of This Page..."
>>
>> I'm sure Windows has something similar.

> {+}Nevinho
> Venha para o Movimento Colaborativo http://sextapoetica.com.br !!

--
{+}Nevinho
Venha para o Movimento Colaborativo http://sextapoetica.com.br !!

Re: wiki page trough email

Steve VanSlyck
Google says: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2521

See instructions for mailing contents of the page.

> > If you're on Mac Safari, simply press CMD-I or the menu "File --> Mail
>
> Contents of This Page..
>
> Hi Jan,
>
> I've just tried it but on menu it is  File --> Send Link by Email.
>
> My problem is that the page I want to send is on localhost and not reachable
> trough Internet.
>
> Is there any other way left to me?
>
> Thank for attention. Regards, Nevio
>
> 2010/2/8 nevio carlos de alarcão <[hidden email]>
>
> > Thank you, I'll try it. Best Regards
> >
> > 2010/2/8 Jan Steinman <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > From: nevio carlos de alarc?o <[hidden email]>

> >> If you're on Mac Safari, simply press CMD-I or the menu "File --> Mail
> >> Contents of This Page..."
> >>
> >> I'm sure Windows has something similar.

> > {+}Nevinho
> > Venha para o Movimento Colaborativo http://sextapoetica.com.br !!
> >

> --
> {+}Nevinho
> Venha para o Movimento Colaborativo http://sextapoetica.com.br !!

Re: wiki page trough email

nevio carlos de alarcão
Hi, Steve, thank yoy. In fact, Google says:

   1. From the *File* menu, choose either *Mail Contents of This Page* or *Mail
   Link to This Page*.
   2. Mail opens and displays a new message window with either the webpage
   displayed in it, or a webpage link attached to it.
   3. Type an email address in the To field, type a message to your friend
   if you'd like, and then click Send to send it.

My problem is that when I follow your hint we have
http://127.0.0.1/w/mediawiki-1.15.1/index.php/Laerte_Carlos_de_Alarc%C3%A3o#O_menino_de_Mestre_d.27Arma
 which is
unreachable because the page is on localhost, is not?

Is there any other way left to me?

Best

2010/2/9 Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]>

> Google says: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2521
>
> See instructions for mailing contents of the page.

I suppose you could try copying the page content and pasting it into the message? Sorry but I am not a Safari user.

> Hi, Steve, thank yoy. In fact, Google says:
>

>    1. From the *File* menu, choose either *Mail Contents of This Page* or *Mail
>    Link to This Page*.
>    2. Mail opens and displays a new message window with either the webpage
>    displayed in it, or a webpage link attached to it.
>    3. Type an email address in the To field, type a message to your friend
>    if you'd like, and then click Send to send it.
>
> My problem is that when I follow your hint we have
> http://127.0.0.1/w/mediawiki-1.15.1/index.php/Laerte_Carlos_de_Alarc%C3%A3o#O_menino_de_Mestre_d.27Arma
>  which is
> unreachable because the page is on localhost, is not?
>
> Is there any other way left to me?
>
> Best
>
> 2010/2/9 Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]>
>
> > Google says: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2521
> >
> > See instructions for mailing contents of the page.

Boris Steipe
The question isn't completely defined: do you want the links in your
static page to resolve? Or do you want them removed? Do you care
about styles? Or do you simply want the text? A wikipage is
dynamically created from database contents, but even if it is then
displayed in your browser, it is not a stand-alone document: there
are bits and pieces pulled in from (i) stylesheets, (ii) javascript
source files, (iii) images; and of course links are relative to the
original directory on your original machine.

 From your scenario, it seems you would want at least want to get rid
of the side-bar menu. On your page you could click "Printable
Version" in the toolbox menu, then in your browser "view page source"
-> "select all", "copy" and paste into a document of your choice. You
could mail that and simply accept that the links are broken and some
of the functionality is not there.

Or you could just copy the text from the browser display and paste it
into a basic HTML document, adding a few <p> and <br /> tags where
necessary.

Anything more elaborate/robust needs a more precise specification of
what you want to achieve.
:-)

B.

On 9-Feb-10, at 9:46 AM, Steve VanSlyck wrote:

> I suppose you could try copying the page content and pasting it
> into the message? Sorry but I am not a Safari user.

Hi Boris. Thank you very much. Unfortunatelly my english skills are not
enough for explaining what I've meant. Let me try: I am configuring a
mediawiki instance on my localhost building a project which is called
Alarcopedia about my family history and would love sharing the status of the
project with my brothers and sisters and all my relatives. So, yes, I do
care about styles and all detailed informations you mention. What is the
better way to achieve it if there is?
I appreciate any inputs. Best regards

2010/2/9 Boris Steipe <[hidden email]>

> The question isn't completely defined: do you want the links in your
> static page to resolve? Or do you want them removed? Do you care
> about styles? Or do you simply want the text? A wikipage is
> dynamically created from database contents, but even if it is then
> displayed in your browser, it is not a stand-alone document: there
> are bits and pieces pulled in from (i) stylesheets, (ii) javascript
> source files, (iii) images; and of course links are relative to the
> original directory on your original machine.
>
>  From your scenario, it seems you would want at least want to get rid
> of the side-bar menu. On your page you could click "Printable
> Version" in the toolbox menu, then in your browser "view page source"
> -> "select all", "copy" and paste into a document of your choice. You
> could mail that and simply accept that the links are broken and some
> of the functionality is not there.
>
> Or you could just copy the text from the browser display and paste it
> into a basic HTML document, adding a few <p> and <br /> tags where
> necessary.
>
> Anything more elaborate/robust needs a more precise specification of
> what you want to achieve.
> :-)
>
> B.
>

> On 9-Feb-10, at 9:46 AM, Steve VanSlyck wrote:
>
> > I suppose you could try copying the page content and pasting it
> > into the message? Sorry but I am not a Safari user.

Sounds like you may have an older version of Safari. On my File menu,
I have both "Mail Contents of This Page" and "Mail Link To This Page"
available, even when viewing a local file with a URL like: "file:///".

Re: wiki page trough email

nevio carlos de alarcão
Jan, thank you. Could you please point me where update it?
best

2010/2/9 Jan Steinman <[hidden email]>

> > From: nevio carlos de alarc?o <[hidden email]>
> >
> >> If you're on Mac Safari, simply press CMD-I or the menu "File -->
> >> Mail
> >
> > I've just tried it but on menu it is  File --> Send Link by Email.
>
> Sounds like you may have an older version of Safari. On my File menu,
> I have both "Mail Contents of This Page" and "Mail Link To This Page"
> available, even when viewing a local file with a URL like: "file:///".

{+}Nevinho
Venha para o Movimento Colaborativo http://sextapoetica.com.br !!

Re: wiki page trough email

Jan Steinman
> From: nevio carlos de alarc?o <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi, Steve, thank yoy. In fact, Google says:
>
>   1. From the *File* menu, choose either *Mail Contents of This
> Page* or *Mail
>   Link to This Page*.
>   2. Mail opens and displays a new message window with either the
> webpage
>   displayed in it, or a webpage link attached to it.
>   3. Type an email address in the To field, type a message to your
> friend
>   if you'd like, and then click Send to send it.
>
> My problem is that when I follow your hint we have
> http://127.0.0.1/w/mediawiki-1.15.1/index.php/Laerte_Carlos_de_Alarc%C3%A3o#O_menino_de_Mestre_d.27Arma
> which is
> unreachable because the page is on localhost, is not?
>
> Is there any other way left to me?

I don't understand you problem.

Are you able to see your page in Safari at all? If so, then the
technique works, regardless of where the site is hosted. The technique
gathers the HTML that is generated into an email. It is no longer
dynamic content, although links *within* the page may not work --
there's no way around that!

If you are not able to see your page in Safari, you have an entirely
different problem.

Re: wiki page trough email

nevio carlos de alarcão

> Sounds like you may have an older version of Safari

Right, my version shows only the email link option. How can I update it?

> Are you able to see your page in Safari at all? If so, then the

technique works, regardless of where the site is hosted. The technique

gathers the HTML that is generated into an email. It is no longer

dynamic content, although links *within* the page may not work --

Yes, I do see. What thecnique are you talking about?
Sorry, for my bad english and/or any misundestanding.
Best regards

2010/2/9 Jan Steinman <[hidden email]>

> > From: nevio carlos de alarc?o <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Hi, Steve, thank yoy. In fact, Google says:
> >
> >   1. From the *File* menu, choose either *Mail Contents of This
> > Page* or *Mail
> >   Link to This Page*.
> >   2. Mail opens and displays a new message window with either the
> > webpage
> >   displayed in it, or a webpage link attached to it.
> >   3. Type an email address in the To field, type a message to your
> > friend
> >   if you'd like, and then click Send to send it.
> >
> > My problem is that when I follow your hint we have
> >
> http://127.0.0.1/w/mediawiki-1.15.1/index.php/Laerte_Carlos_de_Alarc%C3%A3o#O_menino_de_Mestre_d.27Arma
> > which is
> > unreachable because the page is on localhost, is not?
> >
> > Is there any other way left to me?
>
> I don't understand you problem.
>
> Are you able to see your page in Safari at all? If so, then the
> technique works, regardless of where the site is hosted. The technique
> gathers the HTML that is generated into an email. It is no longer
> dynamic content, although links *within* the page may not work --
> there's no way around that!
>
> If you are not able to see your page in Safari, you have an entirely
> different problem.

{+}Nevinho
Venha para o Movimento Colaborativo http://sextapoetica.com.br !!

Re: wiki page trough email

Platonides
nevio carlos de alarcão wrote:
> Hi Boris. Thank you very much. Unfortunatelly my english skills are not
> enough for explaining what I've meant. Let me try: I am configuring a
> mediawiki instance on my localhost building a project which is called
> Alarcopedia about my family history and would love sharing the status of the
> project with my brothers and sisters and all my relatives. So, yes, I do
> care about styles and all detailed informations you mention. What is the
> better way to achieve it if there is?
> I appreciate any inputs. Best regards

Since you want your relatives to see the wiki, and presumably as a
continuous action, I recommend you to put the site password protected in
the internet. Either in a hosting, or using a service like dyndns and
letting them read the wiki from your computer (they will only be able to
when you have it powered).

Re: wiki page trough email

nevio carlos de alarcão

> Either in a hosting, or using a service like dyndns and
> letting them read the wiki from your computer (they will only be able to
> when you have it powered).

Hi Platonides, thank you. you again and again hit the target. Could you tell
me more about this dyndns? The service is this discribed on
http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ or I'm wrong?
After all think it will fit my needs although I am a bit afraid of not being
able to do that. Respectfully, Nevio

**
2010/2/9 Platonides <[hidden email]>

> nevio carlos de alarcão wrote:
> > Hi Boris. Thank you very much. Unfortunatelly my english skills are not
> > enough for explaining what I've meant. Let me try: I am configuring a
> > mediawiki instance on my localhost building a project which is called
> > Alarcopedia about my family history and would love sharing the status of
> the
> > project with my brothers and sisters and all my relatives. So, yes, I do
> > care about styles and all detailed informations you mention. What is the
> > better way to achieve it if there is?
> > I appreciate any inputs. Best regards
>
> Since you want your relatives to see the wiki, and presumably as a
> continuous action, I recommend you to put the site password protected in
> the internet. Either in a hosting, or using a service like dyndns and
> letting them read the wiki from your computer (they will only be able to
> when you have it powered).

{+}Nevinho
Venha para o Movimento Colaborativo http://sextapoetica.com.br !!

Re: wiki page trough email

Platonides
nevio carlos de alarcão wrote:

>> Either in a hosting, or using a service like dyndns and
>> letting them read the wiki from your computer (they will only be able to
>> when you have it powered).
>>
> Hi Platonides, thank you. you again and again hit the target. Could you tell
> me more about this dyndns? The service is this discribed on
> http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ or I'm wrong?
> After all think it will fit my needs although I am a bit afraid of not being
> able to do that. Respectfully, Nevio

Yes, it's that service. You place a little program on your computer and
it will make sure that whatever dyndns.org subdomain you chose keeps
pointing to your computer even if your IP changes.

Re: wiki page trough email

nevio carlos de alarcão
> Yes, it's that service. You place a little program on your computer and
> it will make sure that whatever dyndns.org subdomain you chose keeps
> pointing to your computer even if your IP changes.

WHAT??! rss, sorry, but it doesn't  mean nothing to my poor knowledge about
computer programming. Could it be more... errr  let's say detailed?

2010/2/10 Platonides <[hidden email]>

> nevio carlos de alarcão wrote:
> >> Either in a hosting, or using a service like dyndns and
> >> letting them read the wiki from your computer (they will only be able to
> >> when you have it powered).
> >>
> > Hi Platonides, thank you. you again and again hit the target. Could you
> tell
> > me more about this dyndns? The service is this discribed on
> > http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ or I'm wrong?
> > After all think it will fit my needs although I am a bit afraid of not
> being
> > able to do that. Respectfully, Nevio
> >

> Yes, it's that service. You place a little program on your computer and
> it will make sure that whatever dyndns.org subdomain you chose keeps
> pointing to your computer even if your IP changes.

{+}Nevinho
Venha para o Movimento Colaborativo http://sextapoetica.com.br !!

Re: wiki page trough email

Platonides
nevio carlos de alarcão wrote:
>> Yes, it's that service. You place a little program on your computer and
>> it will make sure that whatever dyndns.org subdomain you chose keeps
>> pointing to your computer even if your IP changes.
>>
> WHAT??! rss, sorry, but it doesn't  mean nothing to my poor knowledge about
> computer programming. Could it be more... errr  let's say detailed?

I am no dyndns expert. Have you tried to follow the steps of
http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/howto.html ?

Re: wiki page trough email

nevio carlos de alarcão
Thank you very much. But I've been halted on step four and I could not go
any further,   perhaps tomorrow I  will be successful... Is there someone
who could help me with things like network configurations. Please see step
four on https://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/howto.html#stepfour for
better undestanding my problems.
truly yours, Nevio

2010/2/11 Platonides <[hidden email]>

> nevio carlos de alarcão wrote:
> >> Yes, it's that service. You place a little program on your computer and
> >> it will make sure that whatever dyndns.org subdomain you chose keeps
> >> pointing to your computer even if your IP changes.
> >>
> > WHAT??! rss, sorry, but it doesn't  mean nothing to my poor knowledge
> about
> > computer programming. Could it be more... errr  let's say detailed?
>
> I am no dyndns expert. Have you tried to follow the steps of
> http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/howto.html ?

{+}Nevinho
Venha para o Movimento Colaborativo http://sextapoetica.com.br !!

Re: wiki page trough email

Platonides
nevio carlos de alarcão wrote:
> Thank you very much. But I've been halted on step four and I could not go
> any further,   perhaps tomorrow I  will be successful... Is there someone
> who could help me with things like network configurations. Please see step
> four on https://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/howto.html#stepfour for
> better undestanding my problems.
> truly yours, Nevio

What client updater have you installed?