wiki research techniques

phoebe ayers
Researchers,

I have a meta-research question :) … does anyone know if a list of
techniques for researching wikis (both qualitatively and
quantitatively) has been collected anywhere? I'm envisioning an
annotated bibliography format of research techniques and the various
studies that have used them to date, though other formats would be
possible. I haven't seen such a compilation anywhere and was thinking
of putting one together (realizing that it's an ambitious project!)
Have any of you done such a thing already, know if it's been done
already, or have thoughts about such a project?

cheers,
phoebe

Re: wiki research techniques

Cormac Lawler
On 1/10/06, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Researchers,
>
> I have a meta-research question :) … does anyone know if a list of
> techniques for researching wikis (both qualitatively and
> quantitatively) has been collected anywhere? I'm envisioning an
> annotated bibliography format of research techniques and the various
> studies that have used them to date, though other formats would be
> possible. I haven't seen such a compilation anywhere and was thinking
> of putting one together (realizing that it's an ambitious project!)
> Have any of you done such a thing already, know if it's been done
> already, or have thoughts about such a project?
>
> cheers,
> phoebe

Phoebe,

there's an excellent wiki research bibliography run by Jakob Voss and
Patrick Danowski (amongst others) at http://bibliography.wikimedia.de/
(read only access) - use it to search articles by keyword, author,
etc. If you can't find what you're looking for there, and you find
articles elsewhere that would be suitable, it would be an idea to
apply for write access to add these articles. I'm currently doing a
literature review (but not totally wiki based stuff) for my research
and I really should get around to adding whatever I find too ;-) (Do
you have access yourself to online resources via Athens login or some
other such system?)

Cormac

Re: wiki research techniques

Jakob Voss-2
Hi,

phoebe ayers wrote:

>>I have a meta-research question :) … does anyone know if a list of
>>techniques for researching wikis (both qualitatively and
>>quantitatively) has been collected anywhere? I'm envisioning an
>>annotated bibliography format of research techniques and the various
>>studies that have used them to date, though other formats would be
>>possible. I haven't seen such a compilation anywhere and was thinking
>>of putting one together (realizing that it's an ambitious project!)
>>Have any of you done such a thing already, know if it's been done
>>already, or have thoughts about such a project?

As Cormac wrote: http://bibliography.wikimedia.de/

If you need something more specific (list of researchers, list of
conferences, list of result-in-a-sentence, list of data sources...) then
I'd prefer http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research - it's not up to date
but it's a wiki so just change it ;-)

Cormac Lawler wrote:

> there's an excellent wiki research bibliography run by Jakob Voss and
> Patrick Danowski (amongst others) at http://bibliography.wikimedia.de/
> (read only access) - use it to search articles by keyword, author,
> etc. If you can't find what you're looking for there, and you find
> articles elsewhere that would be suitable, it would be an idea to
> apply for write access to add these articles. I'm currently doing a
> literature review (but not totally wiki based stuff) for my research
> and I really should get around to adding whatever I find too ;-) (Do
> you have access yourself to online resources via Athens login or some
> other such system?)

Unfoutunately Wikindx is not a real wiki (no version history, no revert
but the software is still beeing improved) but all of you are invited to
add, sort and annotate records in the bibliography. You need a bit of
discipline but should be for profit for all of us. I just added Cormagg
and Phoebe.

Greetings,
Jakob

Re: wiki research techniques

Andrea Forte
Beat Honegger does resarch on Wikis, he has a really interesting
bibliography site. It's in German, but here's the page that lists
entries tagged "wiki." You need to scroll down to the bottom of the
page for the list.

http://beat.doebe.li/bibliothek/w01268.html

-andrea

On 1/10/06, Jakob Voss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> phoebe ayers wrote:
>
> >>I have a meta-research question :) … does anyone know if a list of
> >>techniques for researching wikis (both qualitatively and
> >>quantitatively) has been collected anywhere? I'm envisioning an
> >>annotated bibliography format of research techniques and the various
> >>studies that have used them to date, though other formats would be
> >>possible. I haven't seen such a compilation anywhere and was thinking
> >>of putting one together (realizing that it's an ambitious project!)
> >>Have any of you done such a thing already, know if it's been done
> >>already, or have thoughts about such a project?
>
> As Cormac wrote: http://bibliography.wikimedia.de/
>
> If you need something more specific (list of researchers, list of
> conferences, list of result-in-a-sentence, list of data sources...) then
> I'd prefer http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research - it's not up to date
> but it's a wiki so just change it ;-)
>
> Cormac Lawler wrote:
>
> > there's an excellent wiki research bibliography run by Jakob Voss and
> > Patrick Danowski (amongst others) at http://bibliography.wikimedia.de/
> > (read only access) - use it to search articles by keyword, author,
> > etc. If you can't find what you're looking for there, and you find
> > articles elsewhere that would be suitable, it would be an idea to
> > apply for write access to add these articles. I'm currently doing a
> > literature review (but not totally wiki based stuff) for my research
> > and I really should get around to adding whatever I find too ;-) (Do
> > you have access yourself to online resources via Athens login or some
> > other such system?)
>
> Unfoutunately Wikindx is not a real wiki (no version history, no revert
> but the software is still beeing improved) but all of you are invited to
> add, sort and annotate records in the bibliography. You need a bit of
> discipline but should be for profit for all of us. I just added Cormagg
> and Phoebe.
>
> Greetings,
> Jakob

Re: wiki research techniques

Dirk Riehle-2
Are you refering exclusively to WikiMedia Foundation sites and hence information contents and dynamics research?

Since you are asking about wikis in general, we had the first research conference on wikis in October 2005, see www.wikisym.org for proceedings and annotated conference paper sessions. The proceedings gives you a glimpse at what people are doing. The 2006 CfP should be out in a week or so.

Beat Doebeli Honegger has a bibliography online, but contents is as diverse as the ways you can do research about wikis. If mostly you are interested in information dynamics etc. like Wikipedia contents, you'll probably have to go to the various research groups.

I'd also search Wikipedia itself :-)

Dirk

Dirk Riehle, ph: +49 172 184 8755, web: http://www.riehle.org
Interested in wiki research? Please see http://www.wikisym.org!

At 10.01.2006, phoebe ayers wrote:

Researchers, I have a meta-research question :) … does anyone know if a list of techniques for researching wikis (both qualitatively and quantitatively) has been collected anywhere? I'm envisioning an annotated bibliography format of research techniques and the various studies that have used them to date, though other formats would be possible. I haven't seen such a compilation anywhere and was thinking of putting one together (realizing that it's an ambitious project!) Have any of you done such a thing already, know if it's been done already, or have thoughts about such a project? cheers, phoebe _______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l