wikimedia and second life

Lillie Yiyuan
Hello,

Two of the most visible aspects of what is being called Web 2.0 are
Virtual Reality and wiki collaboration. If Wikipedia is a monument to
turning fun and procrastinating into something very useful and
valuable, VR so far seems to be the other way, a way of taking
creative energy and turning it into fun and procrastination. Part of
this is that most VRs have intentionally been "walled gardens," where
effort poured into the VR is only really useful inside of the VR.

I'm hesitating to write this in case it breaks something that I've
been doing, but let me plunge ahead. One of the most interesting VRs
is Linden Lab's Second Life, which is being used as the basis for both
an OpenSim project, and for IBM's virtual world. It's primary
difference from the point of view of social and technical research is
that it has a relatively versatile scripting language called LSL, or
Linden Scripting Language. This language is being ported to run on top
of a mono virtual machine presently, but even in its current state it
can do amazing things. By querying and editing wikimedia wiki's it is
possible to bring information "in world," that is into the vr, easily,
and have wiki information control in world objects. This creates the
potential for true metadata to VR, with in world objects updating text
state, and text state controlling vr objects for display of
information, and finally true interaction, where both sides affect the
other.

This is important because VR has been data processing poor, and
information poor, while it is social interaction rich.

Are there other people looking at wiki-VR interaction? I can go into
more details about how this project is working off list if anyone is
interested.

Re: wikimedia and second life

Dirk Riehle-2
Hi Lilian, everyone:

If that's your topic, you may like the second paragraph of the Onward!
call for papers.

http://www.oopsla.org/oopsla2008/cfp_onward.html

Cheers, and let me know if you want to know more.

Dirk

Lillian Yiyuan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Two of the most visible aspects of what is being called Web 2.0 are
> Virtual Reality and wiki collaboration. If Wikipedia is a monument to
> turning fun and procrastinating into something very useful and
> valuable, VR so far seems to be the other way, a way of taking
> creative energy and turning it into fun and procrastination. Part of
> this is that most VRs have intentionally been "walled gardens," where
> effort poured into the VR is only really useful inside of the VR.
>
> I'm hesitating to write this in case it breaks something that I've
> been doing, but let me plunge ahead. One of the most interesting VRs
> is Linden Lab's Second Life, which is being used as the basis for both
> an OpenSim project, and for IBM's virtual world. It's primary
> difference from the point of view of social and technical research is
> that it has a relatively versatile scripting language called LSL, or
> Linden Scripting Language. This language is being ported to run on top
> of a mono virtual machine presently, but even in its current state it
> can do amazing things. By querying and editing wikimedia wiki's it is
> possible to bring information "in world," that is into the vr, easily,
> and have wiki information control in world objects. This creates the
> potential for true metadata to VR, with in world objects updating text
> state, and text state controlling vr objects for display of
> information, and finally true interaction, where both sides affect the
> other.
>
> This is important because VR has been data processing poor, and
> information poor, while it is social interaction rich.
>
> Are there other people looking at wiki-VR interaction? I can go into
> more details about how this project is working off list if anyone is
> interested.

Phone: + 1 (650) 215 3459
Web: http://www.riehle.org

Re: wikimedia and second life

saidkassem
Hi Lillian,

I'm sure the applications for a wiki-VR are endless. As someone who has worked with Jewish and Muslim school children for a conflict resolution NGO, I had always envisioned extending our collaborative writing projects into Second Life. For one, I always thought that a group of Israelis and Palestinians could attempt to build a state entity of some sort within Second Life. With documents, such as national constitutions and civil codes being critical to a collaborative nation building project, this is where a wiki would mesh perfectly into the scheme.

Let me know what you think,

Said Kassem Hamideh

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Lillian Yiyuan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I haven't had the time to check this out, Second Life's own wiki.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Main_Page