wikipedia.it

Michael Bimmler
I just heard (and saw), that when going to wikipedia.it, there is now
a grey banner at the head, stating "hosted by yepa and a link to
http://wikipedia.it/disclaimer.html". I wonder a bit, whether this has
been discussed with italian wikipedia community and whether WMF is all
right with this (after all this is probably the way through which most
italians access itwiki, rather than via it.wikipedia.org)

Michael

Re: wikipedia.it

Walter Vermeir-2
Michael Bimmler <mbimmler@...> writes:

> I just heard (and saw), that when going to wikipedia.it, there is now
> a grey banner at the head, stating "hosted by yepa and a link to
> http://wikipedia.it/disclaimer.html". I wonder a bit, whether this has
> been discussed with italian wikipedia community and whether WMF is all
> right with this (after all this is probably the way through which most
> italians access itwiki, rather than via it.wikipedia.org)
>
> Michael

Considering that the domain "wikipedia.it" is not the owned by the Wikimedia
Foundation it is already fantastic it points to the Italian Wikipedia and with
only that relative discrete banner on the top.

I believe that domain used to point to a totally irrelevant website in the
past. Good commercial move from the owner of that domain.

--
Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community

Re: wikipedia.it

Michael Bimmler
On 12/14/06, Walter Vermeir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Bimmler <mbimmler@...> writes:
>

> > I just heard (and saw), that when going to wikipedia.it, there is now
> > a grey banner at the head, stating "hosted by yepa and a link to
> > http://wikipedia.it/disclaimer.html". I wonder a bit, whether this has
> > been discussed with italian wikipedia community and whether WMF is all
> > right with this (after all this is probably the way through which most
> > italians access itwiki, rather than via it.wikipedia.org)
> >
> > Michael
>
> Considering that the domain "wikipedia.it" is not the owned by the Wikimedia
> Foundation it is already fantastic it points to the Italian Wikipedia and with
> only that relative discrete banner on the top.
>
> I believe that domain used to point to a totally irrelevant website in the
> past. Good commercial move from the owner of that domain.

Oh, I didn't know that. If this is so, yes, then it would be a major
step forward (I thought we had had a banner-free redirect before, but
this seems to be wrong)
Michael

> --
> Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
> Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community

Re: wikipedia.it

Gianluigi Gamba
"www.wikipedia.it" is currently owned by a person that has no
relationship neither with Wikimedia Italia nor with the community of
it.wiki users.
Up to now, the attempts to establish a contact in order to have the
domain back ended up in silence.
Until yesterday the link pointed to a webmail login page (the same you
can currently see at "www.wikinews.it").

Bye,
G.

Michael Bimmler ha scritto:

> I just heard (and saw), that when going to wikipedia.it, there is now
> a grey banner at the head, stating "hosted by yepa and a link to
> http://wikipedia.it/disclaimer.html". I wonder a bit, whether this has
> been discussed with italian wikipedia community and whether WMF is all
> right with this (after all this is probably the way through which most
> italians access itwiki, rather than via it.wikipedia.org)
>
> Michael

Re: wikipedia.it

Erik Moeller-4
On 12/14/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh, I didn't know that. If this is so, yes, then it would be a major
> step forward (I thought we had had a banner-free redirect before, but
> this seems to be wrong)

It's a step backwards. A "Hosted by Yepa" message above all Wikipedia
pages misleads people. A website that is clearly not Wikipedia does
not.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Re: wikipedia.it

geni
> On 12/14/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Oh, I didn't know that. If this is so, yes, then it would be a major
> > step forward (I thought we had had a banner-free redirect before, but
> > this seems to be wrong)
>
> It's a step backwards. A "Hosted by Yepa" message above all Wikipedia
> pages misleads people. A website that is clearly not Wikipedia does
> not.

Useing the logo without permission would appear to be a pretty clear
copyvio. The person would also appear to be live fetching. Time to to
pass a note to the devs.

--
geni

Re: wikipedia.it

Michael Bimmler
> On 12/14/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Oh, I didn't know that. If this is so, yes, then it would be a major
> > step forward (I thought we had had a banner-free redirect before, but
> > this seems to be wrong)
>
> It's a step backwards. A "Hosted by Yepa" message above all Wikipedia
> pages misleads people. A website that is clearly not Wikipedia does
> not.
Well... An ad-free redirect (as in wikipedia.de) would surely be the
best way (and what we shall want to achieve). But a redirect with a
banner is certainly better than a redirect to some anonymous webmail
thing. And besides, there is a link in the banner where it is
explained, that content is under free license and what Wikipedia is
etc.
Michael

> --
> Peace & Love,
> Erik
>
> DISCLAIMER: This message does not represent an official position of
> the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

Re: wikipedia.it

Florence Devouard-3
And wikipedia.cl was just reported. With Google Ads on top.

We can always claim not to have google ads on our site.

Okay, we may need to do a DRASTIC action.

Ant

Re: wikipedia.it

Michael Bimmler
Actually at the bottom but nevertheless *bad*.
I mean the .it-thing was "only" (remark the "...")a message by whom
the website is hosted.
But google ads for something absolutely unrelated is really not acceptable imho.
Everybody thinks now, that they are from us
what can be done?
michael

On 12/14/06, Anthere <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And wikipedia.cl was just reported. With Google Ads on top.
>
> We can always claim not to have google ads on our site.
>
> Okay, we may need to do a DRASTIC action.
>

> Ant

Re: wikipedia.it

Michael Bimmler
On 12/14/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually at the bottom but nevertheless *bad*.
Withdrawn, I didn't catch the ones at the bottom at first sight.
Still, bottom and top is even worse.
Michael

Re: wikipedia.it

Michiel Sikma-2

On December 14, 2006, at 6:19 PM, Michael Bimmler wrote:

> I just heard (and saw), that when going to wikipedia.it, there is now
> a grey banner at the head, stating "hosted by yepa and a link to
> http://wikipedia.it/disclaimer.html".

This is terrible. It's a blatant misuse of the Wikipedia brand, which
stands for free and neutral information without conditions. It does
not stand for advertisements. This big banner is an advertisement and
therefore an endorsement. How can anybody trust the information in
the Italian Wikipedia to be neutral if it has a big commercial label
on it?

> I wonder a bit, whether this has
> been discussed with italian wikipedia community and whether WMF is all
> right with this (after all this is probably the way through which most
> italians access itwiki, rather than via it.wikipedia.org)

Hmm. So when going to it.wikipedia.org, there is no banner. Yet, when
going to www.wikipedia.it, there is. So that means that
www.wikipedia.it is really a fork of the Italian Wikipedia, except
with that one extra banner added to the top? I'm not sure whether it
is, but that would be a misuse of the Wikipedia brand, I recon, since
our logo and name cannot simply be used by whoever wants to use it.

I really do want some more information on this, because I personally
am adamantly against things like this and feel that the Foundation
also would be, as it directly contradicts the essence of Wikipedia.

Michiel Sikma

Re: wikipedia.it

Gregory Maxwell
On 12/14/06, Gianluigi Gamba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "www.wikipedia.it" is currently owned by a person that has no
> relationship neither with Wikimedia Italia nor with the community of
> it.wiki users.
> Up to now, the attempts to establish a contact in order to have the
> domain back ended up in silence.
> Until yesterday the link pointed to a webmail login page (the same you
> can currently see at "www.wikinews.it").

Wikinews too?

Gee.. they just happened to coincidently come up with all these names
on their own....

Re: wikipedia.it

geni
On 12/14/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/14/06, Gianluigi Gamba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > "www.wikipedia.it" is currently owned by a person that has no
> > relationship neither with Wikimedia Italia nor with the community of
> > it.wiki users.
> > Up to now, the attempts to establish a contact in order to have the
> > domain back ended up in silence.
> > Until yesterday the link pointed to a webmail login page (the same you
> > can currently see at "www.wikinews.it").
>

> Wikinews too?
>
> Gee.. they just happened to coincidently come up with all these names
> on their own....

I seem to recall such domains can change hands for a few hundred $
certialy I ran across someone trying to sell .co.il at one point

--
geni

Re: wikipedia.it

Brad Patrick
"Fork" is not the right word.  They own a domain extension in the TLD for
Italia.  We would like it.  This use is absolutely not a WMF project.

On 12/14/06, Michiel Sikma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On December 14, 2006, at 6:19 PM, Michael Bimmler wrote:
>
> > I just heard (and saw), that when going to wikipedia.it, there is now
> > a grey banner at the head, stating "hosted by yepa and a link to
> > http://wikipedia.it/disclaimer.html".
>
> This is terrible. It's a blatant misuse of the Wikipedia brand, which
> stands for free and neutral information without conditions. It does
> not stand for advertisements. This big banner is an advertisement and
> therefore an endorsement. How can anybody trust the information in
> the Italian Wikipedia to be neutral if it has a big commercial label
> on it?
>
> > I wonder a bit, whether this has
> > been discussed with italian wikipedia community and whether WMF is all
> > right with this (after all this is probably the way through which most
> > italians access itwiki, rather than via it.wikipedia.org)
>
> Hmm. So when going to it.wikipedia.org, there is no banner. Yet, when
> going to www.wikipedia.it, there is. So that means that
> www.wikipedia.it is really a fork of the Italian Wikipedia, except
> with that one extra banner added to the top? I'm not sure whether it
> is, but that would be a misuse of the Wikipedia brand, I recon, since
> our logo and name cannot simply be used by whoever wants to use it.
>
> I really do want some more information on this, because I personally
> am adamantly against things like this and feel that the Foundation
> also would be, as it directly contradicts the essence of Wikipedia.
>
> Michiel Sikma

Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]
727-231-0101

Re: wikipedia.it

Tomasz Ganicz
Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On 12/14/06, Gianluigi Gamba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "www.wikipedia.it" is currently owned by a person that has no
>> relationship neither with Wikimedia Italia nor with the community of
>> it.wiki users.
>> Up to now, the attempts to establish a contact in order to have the
>> domain back ended up in silence.
>> Until yesterday the link pointed to a webmail login page (the same you
>> can currently see at "www.wikinews.it").
>

> Wikinews too?

Well, I think there is arbitration court or committee with *.it domains,
where one can apply to get back squatted domains. At least there is such
a court in Poland for *.pl domains.

--
Tomasz "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedysta:Polimerek

Re: wikipedia.it

Gianluigi Gamba
They are free to download the *content* and adapt it to their purposes
according to the GFDL.
Not to use our logo and trademark without any agreement nor any
authorization as it's happening now.
Can we use this point to get the squatted domain?

Bye,
G. (aka Paginazero)

Brad Patrick ha scritto:
> "Fork" is not the right word.  They own a domain extension in the TLD for
> Italia.  We would like it.  This use is absolutely not a WMF project.

Re: wikipedia.it

bbatsell
On Dec 14, 2006, at 1:58 PM, Brad Patrick wrote:

> "Fork" is not the right word.  They own a domain extension in the
> TLD for
> Italia.  We would like it.  This use is absolutely not a WMF project.

Looking at the WHOIS data for wikipedia.it, the Organization it is
registered to is "Associazione Wikipedia Italia" (which translates,
roughly, to Wikipedia Italy Association).  The person listed as the
registrant is "Luca Venturini", who is also the registrant for
yepa.com.  In the United States at least, per The Fraudulent Online
Identity Sanctions Act, it is illegal to misrepresent any information
in WHOIS data; it would be interesting to find out whether a similar
law exists in Italy.  We also might have a case for [[UDRP]]; I'm not
sure if Wikimedia has ever attempted to gain control of any other
squatted domains.

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: wikipedia.it

geni
On 12/14/06, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I seem to recall such domains can change hands for a few hundred $
> certialy I ran across someone trying to sell .co.il at one point

ah here we are:

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=176966&highlight=wikipedia

--
geni

Re: wikipedia.it

Damian Finol-2

Re: wikipedia.it

Walter Vermeir-2
Anthere schreef:
> And wikipedia.cl was just reported. With Google Ads on top.
>
> We can always claim not to have google ads on our site.
>
> Okay, we may need to do a DRASTIC action.
>

> Ant

Maybe if asked by the WMF will google suspend the google ad account used
on that website.