wikipedia, metawiki, wiktionnaire restricted from China AGAIN?

wikipedia, metawiki, wiktionnaire restricted from China AGAIN?

Vincent Mandrilly
Hello,

2 days ago, everything was ok, but from then yesterday or the day before yesterday, I started not being able to see the following websites :

www.wiktionary.org
http://wikimediafoundation.org/
www.wikipedia.org
http://meta.wikimedia.org/

(Note : But www.wikimedia.fr/ is accessible)

Note : The access was just fine from both 2 chinse internet providers in Guangzhou, China, and all the sudden, I couldn't access them on both at home and at work.

- Could you please confirm that it is not the websites that are down ?
- Is this due to a move of host IP to a IP range restricted by chinese internet providers ?
- Or is this due to a new dark age for wikipedia in China ? For the last 3 or 4 months, Chinese pages were restricted but not the other langueges pages....

Sincerely,

(Tired of this stupid government who blocks just everything without reason, and they won't even bother to write "sorry, this website is against the law, we restricted access" they just let you believe the page doesnt exists.)

And my software to get through the Internet Great Wall is not working for now.... :-((

V.

Re: wikipedia, metawiki, wiktionnaire restricted from China AGAIN?

Casey Brown-3
This is best sent to the Developer's mailing list (Wikitech-l).  I have
changed the "reply-to:" for this message to there and also sent them a copy.
:-)

On 8/21/07, Vincent Mandrilly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 2 days ago, everything was ok, but from then yesterday or the day before
> yesterday, I started not being able to see the following websites :
>
> www.wiktionary.org
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/
> www.wikipedia.org
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/
>
> (Note : But www.wikimedia.fr/ is accessible)
>
> Note : The access was just fine from both 2 chinse internet providers in
> Guangzhou, China, and all the sudden, I couldn't access them on both at home
> and at work.
>
> - Could you please confirm that it is not the websites that are down ?
> - Is this due to a move of host IP to a IP range restricted by chinese
> internet providers ?
> - Or is this due to a new dark age for wikipedia in China ? For the last 3
> or 4 months, Chinese pages were restricted but not the other langueges
> pages....
>
> Sincerely,
>
> (Tired of this stupid government who blocks just everything without
> reason, and they won't even bother to write "sorry, this website is against
> the law, we restricted access" they just let you believe the page doesnt
> exists.)
>
> And my software to get through the Internet Great Wall is not working for
> now.... :-((
>
> V.

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: wikipedia, metawiki, wiktionnaire restricted from China AGAIN?

KIZU Naoko
On 8/22/07, Vincent Mandrilly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2 days ago, everything was ok, but from then yesterday or the day before yesterday, I started not being able to see the following websites :
>
> www.wiktionary.org
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/
> www.wikipedia.org
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/

They are up ...

> (Note : But www.wikimedia.fr/ is accessible)
>
> Note : The access was just fine from both 2 chinse internet providers in Guangzhou, China, and all the sudden, I couldn't access them on both at home and at work.
>
> - Could you please confirm that it is not the websites that are down ?
> - Is this due to a move of host IP to a IP range restricted by chinese internet providers ?
> - Or is this due to a new dark age for wikipedia in China ? For the last 3 or 4 months, Chinese pages were restricted but not the other langueges pages....
>
> Sincerely,
>
> (Tired of this stupid government who blocks just everything without reason, and they won't even bother to write "sorry, this website is against the law, we restricted access" they just let you believe the page doesnt exists.)
>
> And my software to get through the Internet Great Wall is not working for now.... :-((

oh :(

--
KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org

Re: wikipedia, metawiki, wiktionnaire restricted from China AGAIN?

Florence Devouard-3
Vincent Mandrilly wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 2 days ago, everything was ok, but from then yesterday or the day before yesterday, I started not being able to see the following websites :
>
> www.wiktionary.org
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/
> www.wikipedia.org
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/
>
> (Note : But www.wikimedia.fr/ is accessible)

this site is not hosted by the Foundation.

ant

> Note : The access was just fine from both 2 chinse internet providers in Guangzhou, China, and all the sudden, I couldn't access them on both at home and at work.
>
> - Could you please confirm that it is not the websites that are down ?
> - Is this due to a move of host IP to a IP range restricted by chinese internet providers ?
> - Or is this due to a new dark age for wikipedia in China ? For the last 3 or 4 months, Chinese pages were restricted but not the other langueges pages....
>
> Sincerely,
>
> (Tired of this stupid government who blocks just everything without reason, and they won't even bother to write "sorry, this website is against the law, we restricted access" they just let you believe the page doesnt exists.)
>
> And my software to get through the Internet Great Wall is not working for now.... :-((
>
> V.

Re: wikipedia, metawiki, wiktionnaire restricted from China AGAIN?

Andrew Lih
In the last few days, I've found that many people's DNS from China
resolves to the Tampa servers (which are blocked) rather than the
Seoul servers (which are
unblocked). This may explain the problem below.

It's not clear whether this is a concerted effort to reintroduce
blocking, or whether it's simply because the ephemeral IP addresses
that ISPs are handing out are in an "unknown" block and does trigger a
DNS address for Seoul. Trying to find some more datapoints.

-Andrew

On 8/22/07, Vincent Mandrilly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 2 days ago, everything was ok, but from then yesterday or the day before yesterday, I started not being able to see the following websites :
>
> www.wiktionary.org
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/
> www.wikipedia.org
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/
>
> (Note : But www.wikimedia.fr/ is accessible)
>
> Note : The access was just fine from both 2 chinse internet providers in Guangzhou, China, and all the sudden, I couldn't access them on both at home and at work.
>
> - Could you please confirm that it is not the websites that are down ?
> - Is this due to a move of host IP to a IP range restricted by chinese internet providers ?
> - Or is this due to a new dark age for wikipedia in China ? For the last 3 or 4 months, Chinese pages were restricted but not the other langueges pages....
>
> Sincerely,
>
> (Tired of this stupid government who blocks just everything without reason, and they won't even bother to write "sorry, this website is against the law, we restricted access" they just let you believe the page doesnt exists.)
>
> And my software to get through the Internet Great Wall is not working for now.... :-((
>
> V.

Re: wikipedia, metawiki, wiktionnaire restricted from China AGAIN?

shi zhao
Now, only zh.wikipedia.org and zh.wikiquote.org blocked in China.
Other wikimedia site is unblock in China.

2007/8/22, Vincent Mandrilly <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> 2 days ago, everything was ok, but from then yesterday or the day before yesterday, I started not being able to see the following websites :
>
> www.wiktionary.org
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/
> www.wikipedia.org
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/
>
> (Note : But www.wikimedia.fr/ is accessible)
>
> Note : The access was just fine from both 2 chinse internet providers in Guangzhou, China, and all the sudden, I couldn't access them on both at home and at work.
>
> - Could you please confirm that it is not the websites that are down ?
> - Is this due to a move of host IP to a IP range restricted by chinese internet providers ?
> - Or is this due to a new dark age for wikipedia in China ? For the last 3 or 4 months, Chinese pages were restricted but not the other langueges pages....
>
> Sincerely,
>
> (Tired of this stupid government who blocks just everything without reason, and they won't even bother to write "sorry, this website is against the law, we restricted access" they just let you believe the page doesnt exists.)
>
> And my software to get through the Internet Great Wall is not working for now.... :-((
>
> V.

Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
My blog: http://talk.blogbus.com
CNBlog: http://blog.cnblog.org/weblog.html
Social Brain: http://www.socialbrain.org
cnbloggercon: http://www.cnbloggercon.org/
MeMedia: http://memedia.cn

[[zh:User:Shizhao]]

Re: wikipedia, metawiki, wiktionnaire restricted from China AGAIN?

shi zhao
ops, today en.wikipedia again GFWed

--
Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
My blog: http://talk.blogbus.com
CNBlog: http://blog.cnblog.org/weblog.html
Social Brain: http://www.socialbrain.org
cnbloggercon: http://www.cnbloggercon.org/
MeMedia: http://memedia.cn

[[zh:User:Shizhao]]

Re: wikipedia, metawiki, wiktionnaire restricted from China AGAIN?

Andrew Lih
FYI, after talking to the smart tech folks of Wikimedia, access to
*.wikipedia.org from China should be back to the state of affairs as
of a few days ago.

That is, everything accessible except for zh.wikipedia.org. I can
confirm this is true from my Beijing connection.

-Andrew