wikipedia.org.in

Re: wikipedia.org.in

Srikanth Lakshmanan
On a related note, wikimedia.in is parked by User:Omshivaprakash . We could also use this. Though i agree that we must get wikipedia.in from the cybersquatter.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Naveen Francis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

He is not interested in donating in the domain name.
We need a fair deal, since he has spent money on that.
He wants us to sent a proposal to him.

Can we make a list of domain names ask 'in registry' to release to wikimedia ?

Thanks,
Naveen Francis

2010/1/18 TT Arvind <[hidden email]>

Casey Brown wrote:

> From what Mike told me, it depends on how India works with foreign
> trademarks, domain names, etc.  It's hard for the Foundation to get
> involved until there's some kind of organization or chapter setup in
> India.  It gets a lot more complex if the Foundation has to come in,
> which is why it's best to work informally with the registrar/owners
> first.
>
> Maybe you guys could try asking InRegistrar about this and see how far
> that goes?  Maybe they already have a process setup for this.

They have a published dispute resolution policy:

http://www.registry.in/.IN%20Domain%20Name%20Dispute%20Resolution%20Policy%20(INDRP)

The relevant clauses are 4 & 6, possibly 7.  Is Wikipedia registered as
a trademark in India?  Reading clause 4, I'm not sure anyone except the
holder of a trademark will be able to challenge a registration.  Have a
look at the decisions they've put up on the website.  They complainant
seems to have an Indian trademark or to have applied for one in most cases:

http://www.registry.in/Dispute%20Case%20Decisions

regards,

Arvind

Regards
Srikanth.L
http://j.mp/SrikanthL

Re: wikipedia.org.in

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
In the Netherlands we had at one time someone who got some domains in order to prevent cyber-squaters to get the domain. There were people who suggested that the man himself was a cyber squatter as well.. All it took was the offer of the money spend to be paid back to affect the domain transfer .... It was asked nicely, it was offered nicely and that did the trick... Important was that after the fact it was acknowledged publicly that the gentleman was thanked for the service..
Thanks,
    GerardM

Casey Brown wrote:

> From what Mike told me, it depends on how India works with foreign
> trademarks, domain names, etc.  It's hard for the Foundation to get
> involved until there's some kind of organization or chapter setup in
> India.  It gets a lot more complex if the Foundation has to come in,
> which is why it's best to work informally with the registrar/owners
> first.
>
> Maybe you guys could try asking InRegistrar about this and see how far
> that goes?  Maybe they already have a process setup for this.

They have a published dispute resolution policy:

http://www.registry.in/.IN%20Domain%20Name%20Dispute%20Resolution%20Policy%20(INDRP)

The relevant clauses are 4 & 6, possibly 7.  Is Wikipedia registered as
a trademark in India?  Reading clause 4, I'm not sure anyone except the
holder of a trademark will be able to challenge a registration.  Have a
look at the decisions they've put up on the website.  They complainant
seems to have an Indian trademark or to have applied for one in most cases:

http://www.registry.in/Dispute%20Case%20Decisions

regards,

Arvind

Re: wikipedia.org.in

Naveen Francis
Hi Shiju,

wikipedia.in is owned by Jitendra Jain. but he has not put up anything.

I guess, finding an indic language wikipedia is difficult from http://wikipedia.org/ from a users perspective.

Thanks,
Naveen Francis

2010/1/18 Shiju Alex <[hidden email]>
I don't think http://wikipedia.in/ is registered by any one. Kindly verify.

But, do we actullay require this site? What is its purpose?  Is it just for listing link to Indic languages wikis.

NOTE: Some Indic languages like Tamil, Bengali, and Urdu are the official languages in more than one country.

Shiju

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Jyothis Edathoot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe that the name wikipedia is owned by foundation. If that is the
> case, Foundation can officially request the InRegistrar to revoke the domain
> from him.
> Casey, Please correct me if I am wrong.

From what Mike told me, it depends on how India works with foreign

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Naveen Francis

Re: wikipedia.org.in

Shiju Alex
He is interested in making wikipedia.in  as homepage for indian language wikipedias.
But his condition is that his name must be there in that page. Is it possible for us to give the credit on that page ?

I don't think Wikipedians will accept that idea. If that is the case, it is better to go with the current system.

Shiju

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Naveen Francis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Shiju,

wikipedia.in is owned by Jitendra Jain. but he has not put up anything.

I guess, finding an indic language wikipedia is difficult from http://wikipedia.org/ from a users perspective.

Thanks,
Naveen Francis

2010/1/18 Shiju Alex <[hidden email]>

I don't think http://wikipedia.in/ is registered by any one. Kindly verify.

But, do we actullay require this site? What is its purpose?  Is it just for listing link to Indic languages wikis.

NOTE: Some Indic languages like Tamil, Bengali, and Urdu are the official languages in more than one country.

Shiju

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Jyothis Edathoot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe that the name wikipedia is owned by foundation. If that is the
> case, Foundation can officially request the InRegistrar to revoke the domain
> from him.
> Casey, Please correct me if I am wrong.

From what Mike told me, it depends on how India works with foreign
trademarks, domain names, etc.  It's hard for the Foundation to get
involved until there's some kind of organization or chapter setup in
India.  It gets a lot more complex if the Foundation has to come in,
which is why it's best to work informally with the registrar/owners
first.

Maybe you guys could try asking InRegistrar about this and see how far
that goes?  Maybe they already have a process setup for this.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Naveen Francis

Re: wikipedia.org.in

Anirban Debaprabha Das

Can pressure tactics be employed?

Thanks,

Anirban

He is interested in making wikipedia.in  as homepage for indian language wikipedias.
But his condition is that his name must be there in that page. Is it possible for us to give the credit on that page ?

I don't think Wikipedians will accept that idea. If that is the case, it is better to go with the current system.

Shiju

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Naveen Francis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Shiju,

wikipedia.in is owned by Jitendra Jain. but he has not put up anything.

I guess, finding an indic language wikipedia is difficult from http://wikipedia.org/ from a users perspective.

Thanks,
Naveen Francis

2010/1/18 Shiju Alex <[hidden email]>

I don't think http://wikipedia.in/ is registered by any one. Kindly verify.

But, do we actullay require this site? What is its purpose?  Is it just for listing link to Indic languages wikis.

NOTE: Some Indic languages like Tamil, Bengali, and Urdu are the official languages in more than one country.

Shiju

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Jyothis Edathoot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe that the name wikipedia is owned by foundation. If that is the
> case, Foundation can officially request the InRegistrar to revoke the domain
> from him.
> Casey, Please correct me if I am wrong.

From what Mike told me, it depends on how India works with foreign
trademarks, domain names, etc.  It's hard for the Foundation to get
involved until there's some kind of organization or chapter setup in
India.  It gets a lot more complex if the Foundation has to come in,
which is why it's best to work informally with the registrar/owners
first.

Maybe you guys could try asking InRegistrar about this and see how far
that goes?  Maybe they already have a process setup for this.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Naveen Francis

Re: wikipedia.org.in

R K Thukral

May I suggest that Wikipedians should not succumb to the terms as are being dictated. Instead, Wikipedians can go to register with www.wikipedia.org.in as RBI has official site with www.rbi.org.in

Pls check.

R K Thukral

He is interested in making wikipedia.in  as homepage for indian language wikipedias.
But his condition is that his name must be there in that page. Is it possible for us to give the credit on that page ?

I don't think Wikipedians will accept that idea. If that is the case, it is better to go with the current system.

Shiju

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Naveen Francis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Shiju,

wikipedia.in is owned by Jitendra Jain. but he has not put up anything.

I guess, finding an indic language wikipedia is difficult from http://wikipedia.org/ from a users perspective.

Thanks,
Naveen Francis

2010/1/18 Shiju Alex <[hidden email]>

I don't think http://wikipedia.in/ is registered by any one. Kindly verify.

But, do we actullay require this site? What is its purpose?  Is it just for listing link to Indic languages wikis.

NOTE: Some Indic languages like Tamil, Bengali, and Urdu are the official languages in more than one country.

Shiju

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Jyothis Edathoot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe that the name wikipedia is owned by foundation. If that is the
> case, Foundation can officially request the InRegistrar to revoke the domain
> from him.
> Casey, Please correct me if I am wrong.

From what Mike told me, it depends on how India works with foreign
trademarks, domain names, etc.  It's hard for the Foundation to get
involved until there's some kind of organization or chapter setup in
India.  It gets a lot more complex if the Foundation has to come in,
which is why it's best to work informally with the registrar/owners
first.

Maybe you guys could try asking InRegistrar about this and see how far
that goes?  Maybe they already have a process setup for this.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Naveen Francis

Re: wikipedia.org.in

Arun Ramarathnam
Gerard,

That is a good suggestion.

I believe that is what we should attempt.

Regards
Arun

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Re: wikipedia.org.in

omshivaprakash@gmail.com

wikimedia.in rights are currently with User:Hpnadig though my contact details are retained in whois records. He will be responding to this thread.

Omshivaprakash.H.L | ಓಂ ಶಿವಪ್ರಕಾಶ್ ಎಚ್. ಎಲ್ | ॐ शिवप्रकाश् एच्. एल्

Blog : http://platonic.techfiz.info
Phone: 91- 9902026518

Casey Brown wrote:

> From what Mike told me, it depends on how India works with foreign
> trademarks, domain names, etc.  It's hard for the Foundation to get
> involved until there's some kind of organization or chapter setup in
> India.  It gets a lot more complex if the Foundation has to come in,
> which is why it's best to work informally with the registrar/owners
> first.
>
> Maybe you guys could try asking InRegistrar about this and see how far
> that goes?  Maybe they already have a process setup for this.

They have a published dispute resolution policy:

http://www.registry.in/.IN%20Domain%20Name%20Dispute%20Resolution%20Policy%20(INDRP)

The relevant clauses are 4 & 6, possibly 7.  Is Wikipedia registered as
a trademark in India?  Reading clause 4, I'm not sure anyone except the
holder of a trademark will be able to challenge a registration.  Have a
look at the decisions they've put up on the website.  They complainant
seems to have an Indian trademark or to have applied for one in most cases:

http://www.registry.in/Dispute%20Case%20Decisions

regards,

Arvind

Regards
Srikanth.L
http://j.mp/SrikanthL

Re: wikipedia.org.in

praveenp

He is interested in making wikipedia.in  as homepage for indian language wikipedias.
But his condition is that his name must be there in that page. Is it possible for us to give the credit on that page

He kept it this far and had not made a porn site using that url, thats great ;-), that means he has interest over wikipedia.  Giving him a single line thanks may be not a big issue. I think some of you people can remember old firefox.com. This is a public list, please dont call him a squatter atleast until we reach somewhere. AGF.

I don't think Wikipedians will accept that idea. If that is the case, it is better to go with the current system.

For some people it may be interesting. If possible include isolated indic language wikipedias such as Sinhala (Sreelankan) Divehi (Maldives), Nepali, Dzongkha(Bhutan) also to the site.

Main thing is that this site may be not essential, but if we make such a site and get some super publicity (through other medias, or a launch event, or by (mis)using a well known one to inaugurate ;-)) we can reach more people.

--
Wikipedia Affiliate Button

Re: wikipedia.org.in

guru brahma
So is the case with Nepal Bhasha Wikipedia - new.wikipedia.org - very nice url!

If and when we have the India Wikipedia page, it may help to have links to other Wikimedia projects in Indian languages as well.

Cheers,
Gurubrahma.

From: Naveen Francis <naveenpf@...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 00:05:35