wikis sharing templates and forms

david-217
Hi;
If I want to have 2 wikis (or more) with diferent subjects but with the
same semantic tools, sharing properties, templates and forms, is that
possible?
Or I must to copy (and update) every property, template and form, from
one wiki to another?
A main wiki where to develop properties, templates & forms with other
wikis just using it would be a good scenario for me. Again: is that
possible? What's the way to do that? Is recommended, unrecommended? Why?

Greetings.

David.

Re: wikis sharing templates and forms

Yaron Koren-2
Hi David,

You can share templates between wikis:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEnableScaryTranscluding

(Though it's not recommended, as the variable name indicates.) But you
can't share forms, or properties if you're using those.

Potentially, the Push extension might help, though:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Push

It lets you manually "push out" the new version of any form, template etc.
after you make changes to it in the "master" wiki.

-Yaron

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 5:41 PM, david <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi;
> If I want to have 2 wikis (or more) with diferent subjects but with the
> same semantic tools, sharing properties, templates and forms, is that
> possible?
> Or I must to copy (and update) every property, template and form, from
> one wiki to another?
> A main wiki where to develop properties, templates & forms with other
> wikis just using it would be a good scenario for me. Again: is that
> possible? What's the way to do that? Is recommended, unrecommended? Why?
>
> Greetings.
>
> David.

Re: wikis sharing templates and forms

Alexey Klimovich
I've recently encountered same need for wiki-farm with semantics. I
think it would be very useful to have ability to share semantic
structure ( properties, forms, concepts, etc ) between wikis. Although
templates can be shared using scary transclusion - it is not optimal way
too.

Ideally is to have something similar to $wgForeignRepo but for all these
things :) Ah, dreams..

03.05.2016 16:21, Yaron Koren пишет:

> Hi David,
>
> You can share templates between wikis:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEnableScaryTranscluding
>
> (Though it's not recommended, as the variable name indicates.) But you
> can't share forms, or properties if you're using those.
>
> Potentially, the Push extension might help, though:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Push
>
> It lets you manually "push out" the new version of any form, template etc.
> after you make changes to it in the "master" wiki.
>
> -Yaron
>
> On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 5:41 PM, david <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi;
>> If I want to have 2 wikis (or more) with diferent subjects but with the
>> same semantic tools, sharing properties, templates and forms, is that
>> possible?
>> Or I must to copy (and update) every property, template and form, from
>> one wiki to another?
>> A main wiki where to develop properties, templates & forms with other
>> wikis just using it would be a good scenario for me. Again: is that
>> possible? What's the way to do that? Is recommended, unrecommended? Why?
>>
>> Greetings.
>>
>> David.

Mediawiki & Semantic Mediawiki support: https://mediawiki.pro

Re: wikis sharing templates and forms

James HK
Hi,

> think it would be very useful to have ability to share semantic
> structure ( properties, forms, concepts, etc ) between wikis. Although
> templates can be shared using scary transclusion - it is not optimal way
> too.

I'm not sure why you would need an extra solution when you can use
Special:Import/Export to share those definitions among MW [0]
installations.

On a related note, if you wanted to query a remote SMW then [1, 2] can
provide a solution.

> Ideally is to have something similar to $wgForeignRepo but for all these
> things :) Ah, dreams..

Unless there are good arguments as to why [0] won't work, I don't see
anybody working on such system.

PS: Some preliminary work has been done on supporting an exchangeable
property schema [3] but this ranks very low on my priority list.

[0] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Content_export
[1] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticExternalQueryLookup
[2] http://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Semantic_External_Query_Lookup_example
[3] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1330

Cheers

On 5/4/16, Vedmaka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've recently encountered same need for wiki-farm with semantics. I
> think it would be very useful to have ability to share semantic
> structure ( properties, forms, concepts, etc ) between wikis. Although
> templates can be shared using scary transclusion - it is not optimal way
> too.
>
> Ideally is to have something similar to $wgForeignRepo but for all these
> things :) Ah, dreams..
>
> 03.05.2016 16:21, Yaron Koren пишет:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> You can share templates between wikis:
>>
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEnableScaryTranscluding
>>
>> (Though it's not recommended, as the variable name indicates.) But you
>> can't share forms, or properties if you're using those.
>>
>> Potentially, the Push extension might help, though:
>>
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Push
>>
>> It lets you manually "push out" the new version of any form, template etc.
>> after you make changes to it in the "master" wiki.
>>
>> -Yaron
>>
>> On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 5:41 PM, david <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi;
>>> If I want to have 2 wikis (or more) with diferent subjects but with the
>>> same semantic tools, sharing properties, templates and forms, is that
>>> possible?
>>> Or I must to copy (and update) every property, template and form, from
>>> one wiki to another?
>>> A main wiki where to develop properties, templates & forms with other
>>> wikis just using it would be a good scenario for me. Again: is that
>>> possible? What's the way to do that? Is recommended, unrecommended? Why?
>>>
>>> Greetings.
>>>
>>> David.

> Mediawiki & Semantic Mediawiki support: https://mediawiki.pro

Re: wikis sharing templates and forms

Mark A. Hershberger-4

Vedmaka writes:

> Ideally is to have something similar to $wgForeignRepo but for all these
> things :) Ah, dreams..

This would be the proposed Shadow Namespaces:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Shadow_namespaces

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC

Re: wikis sharing templates and forms

david-217
Hi, thanks all for the comments.
I will avoid the transclude option if it is not recommended.
A combination of push and import/export seems to be a reasonable option
to develop things in a master wiki and use in others.

Taking contents form other wiki didn't was my first idea but is also
interesting to explore, thanks. I'll follow the links.
Shadows namespace sounds so interesting as well, to use wiki content
from another wiki (like Wikipedia) when there isn't a 'local' page.

Greetings.

David

El dc 04 de 05 de 2016 a les 13:26 +0200, en/na James HK va escriure:

> Hi,
>
> > think it would be very useful to have ability to share semantic
> > structure ( properties, forms, concepts, etc ) between wikis. Although
> > templates can be shared using scary transclusion - it is not optimal way
> > too.
>
> I'm not sure why you would need an extra solution when you can use
> Special:Import/Export to share those definitions among MW [0]
> installations.
>
> On a related note, if you wanted to query a remote SMW then [1, 2] can
> provide a solution.
>
> > Ideally is to have something similar to $wgForeignRepo but for all these
> > things :) Ah, dreams..
>
> Unless there are good arguments as to why [0] won't work, I don't see
> anybody working on such system.
>
> PS: Some preliminary work has been done on supporting an exchangeable
> property schema [3] but this ranks very low on my priority list.
>
> [0] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Content_export
> [1] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticExternalQueryLookup
> [2] http://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Semantic_External_Query_Lookup_example
> [3] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1330
>
> Cheers
>
> On 5/4/16, Vedmaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've recently encountered same need for wiki-farm with semantics. I
> > think it would be very useful to have ability to share semantic
> > structure ( properties, forms, concepts, etc ) between wikis. Although
> > templates can be shared using scary transclusion - it is not optimal way
> > too.
> >
> > Ideally is to have something similar to $wgForeignRepo but for all these
> > things :) Ah, dreams..
> >
> > 03.05.2016 16:21, Yaron Koren пишет:
> >> Hi David,
> >>
> >> You can share templates between wikis:
> >>
> >> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEnableScaryTranscluding
> >>
> >> (Though it's not recommended, as the variable name indicates.) But you
> >> can't share forms, or properties if you're using those.
> >>
> >> Potentially, the Push extension might help, though:
> >>
> >> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Push
> >>
> >> It lets you manually "push out" the new version of any form, template etc.
> >> after you make changes to it in the "master" wiki.
> >>
> >> -Yaron

> > Mediawiki & Semantic Mediawiki support: https://mediawiki.pro

Re: wikis sharing templates and forms

Krabina Bernhard
haven't tried it myself yet, but check this out:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Push

you could use it to push template pages from one wiki to another
cheers,
Bernhard

----- Am 4. Mai 2016 um 18:36 schrieb david [hidden email]:

> Hi, thanks all for the comments.
> I will avoid the transclude option if it is not recommended.
> A combination of push and import/export seems to be a reasonable option
> to develop things in a master wiki and use in others.
>
> Taking contents form other wiki didn't was my first idea but is also
> interesting to explore, thanks. I'll follow the links.
> Shadows namespace sounds so interesting as well, to use wiki content
> from another wiki (like Wikipedia) when there isn't a 'local' page.
>
> Greetings.
>
> David
>
> El dc 04 de 05 de 2016 a les 13:26 +0200, en/na James HK va escriure:
>> Hi,
>>
>> > think it would be very useful to have ability to share semantic
>> > structure ( properties, forms, concepts, etc ) between wikis. Although
>> > templates can be shared using scary transclusion - it is not optimal way
>> > too.
>>
>> I'm not sure why you would need an extra solution when you can use
>> Special:Import/Export to share those definitions among MW [0]
>> installations.
>>
>> On a related note, if you wanted to query a remote SMW then [1, 2] can
>> provide a solution.
>>
>> > Ideally is to have something similar to $wgForeignRepo but for all these
>> > things :) Ah, dreams..
>>
>> Unless there are good arguments as to why [0] won't work, I don't see
>> anybody working on such system.
>>
>> PS: Some preliminary work has been done on supporting an exchangeable
>> property schema [3] but this ranks very low on my priority list.
>>
>> [0] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Content_export
>> [1] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticExternalQueryLookup
>> [2]
>> http://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Semantic_External_Query_Lookup_example
>> [3] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1330
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> On 5/4/16, Vedmaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I've recently encountered same need for wiki-farm with semantics. I
>> > think it would be very useful to have ability to share semantic
>> > structure ( properties, forms, concepts, etc ) between wikis. Although
>> > templates can be shared using scary transclusion - it is not optimal way
>> > too.
>> >
>> > Ideally is to have something similar to $wgForeignRepo but for all these
>> > things :) Ah, dreams..

>> > --

>> > Mediawiki & Semantic Mediawiki support: https://mediawiki.pro

Re: wikis sharing templates and forms

Alexey Klimovich
Wow, yeah, this is what i am talking about, subscribed.