wikitables

Frederich, Eric P21322
Hi, I am pretty new to media wiki.
I was trying to follow the guide on tables here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Table

I found that when I put a table in my wiki like this....

{| class="wikitable" style="text-align:center"
|+Multiplication table
|-
! × !! 1 !! 2 !! 3
|-
! 1
| 1 || 2 || 3
|-
! 2
| 2 || 4 || 6
|-
! 3
| 3 || 6 || 9
|-
! 4
| 4 || 8 || 12
|-
! 5
| 5 || 10 || 15
|}

... I don't get the nice looking table with dark and light grey
backgrounds in the cells. I get no borders either.

I went into skins/common/common.css and saw that it didn't have anything
for wikitable so I pasted the following into there...

/* wikitable/prettytable class for skinning normal tables */

table.wikitable,
table.prettytable {
  margin: 1em 1em 1em 0;
  background: #f9f9f9;
  border: 1px #aaaaaa solid;
  border-collapse: collapse;
}

table.wikitable th, table.wikitable td,
table.prettytable th, table.prettytable td {
  border: 1px #aaaaaa solid;
  padding: 0.2em;
}

table.wikitable th,
table.prettytable th {
  background: #f2f2f2;
  text-align: center;
}

table.wikitable caption,
table.prettytable caption {
  margin-left: inherit;
  margin-right: inherit;
}

This still didn't help. What else do I need to do?

Thanks,
~Eric

Re: wikitables

Frederich, Eric P21322
Anybody???
I really like the look of the "wikitable" but can't figure out how to
get it to work.

~Eric

I was trying to follow the guide on tables here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Table

I found that when I put a table in my wiki like this....

{| class="wikitable" style="text-align:center"
|+Multiplication table
|-
! × !! 1 !! 2 !! 3
|-
! 1
| 1 || 2 || 3
|-
! 2
| 2 || 4 || 6
|-
! 3
| 3 || 6 || 9
|-
! 4
| 4 || 8 || 12
|-
! 5
| 5 || 10 || 15
|}

... I don't get the nice looking table with dark and light grey
backgrounds in the cells. I get no borders either.

I went into skins/common/common.css and saw that it didn't have anything
for wikitable so I pasted the following into there...

/* wikitable/prettytable class for skinning normal tables */

table.wikitable,
table.prettytable {
  margin: 1em 1em 1em 0;
  background: #f9f9f9;
  border: 1px #aaaaaa solid;
  border-collapse: collapse;
}

table.wikitable th, table.wikitable td,
table.prettytable th, table.prettytable td {
  border: 1px #aaaaaa solid;
  padding: 0.2em;
}

table.wikitable th,
table.prettytable th {
  background: #f2f2f2;
  text-align: center;
}

table.wikitable caption,
table.prettytable caption {
  margin-left: inherit;
  margin-right: inherit;
}

This still didn't help. What else do I need to do?

Thanks,
~Eric

Re: wikitables

Magnus Nordmark
i dont want to have something from you your as go to hell

>From: "Frederich, Eric  P2173" <[hidden email]>
>To: "MediaWiki announcements and site admin list"
><[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] wikitables
>Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:33:01 -0400
>
>Anybody???
>I really like the look of the "wikitable" but can't figure out how to
>get it to work.
>
>~Eric

Re: wikitables

Joshua Yeidel
Did you check that the class=wikitable attribute is actually showing up in
the <table> tag when you "view source" in the browser?  Is there more than
one "class" attribute in that tag, or an ID in addition to the "class"?

I'm sorry this isn't a big help, but it might be a little help.

-- Joshua

On 6/2/06 12:33 PM, "Frederich, Eric  P2173" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Anybody???
> I really like the look of the "wikitable" but can't figure out how to
> get it to work.
>
> ~Eric

Re: wikitables

Frederich, Eric P21322
Here is the wiki and corresponding html.
So I guess the answer is yes...class=wikitable is showing up in the
html.

Thanks,
~Eric

{| class="wikitable" style="text-align:center"
|+Multiplication table
|-
! &times; !! 1 !! 2 !! 3
|-
! 1
| 1 || 2 || 3
|-
! 2
| 2 || 4 || 6
|-
! 3
| 3 || 6 || 9
|-
! 4
| 4 || 8 || 12
|-
! 5
| 5 || 10 || 15
|}

<caption>Multiplication table
</caption>
</th></tr>

<th> 1
<th> 2

<th> 3
<th> 4

<th> 5

wrote:

> Anybody???
> I really like the look of the "wikitable" but can't figure out how to
> get it to work.
>
> ~Eric

Re: wikitables

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 6/1/06, Frederich, Eric  P2173 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I went into skins/common/common.css and saw that it didn't have anything
> for wikitable so I pasted the following into there...

You can also edit Mediawiki:Common.css within the wiki.

Here's how I did it:
http://jrandomhacker.info/MediaWiki:Common.css

Re: wikitables

Frederich, Eric P21322
I visited your link but did not see how to edit Common.css from within
the wiki.
Just to be sure, this does go in wiki/skins/common/common.css right?

I pasted what you had in there in the beginning of my
skins/common/common.css file including the thisneverworks{}.
I tried doing the multiplication table and still nothing.
I know nothing about .css files.  When I change it do I need to do
anything else like restart the web-server?
How do I know that the skins/common/common.css file is working for the
other stuff since it isn't for the wikitable?

Thanks,

~Eric

On 6/5/06, Frederich, Eric  P2173 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I visited your link but did not see how to edit Common.css from within
> the wiki.
> Just to be sure, this does go in wiki/skins/common/common.css right?

Visit MediaWiki:Common.css in your wiki.  Make the page if it doesn't
exist.  Copy the css content from my page into yours.  Then everything
should Just Work (tm).

The "thisneverworks" entry is required due to some wierd issue that I
can't comprehend.  =)

Re: wikitables

Frederich, Eric P21322
I went to my wiki and manually went to MediaWiki:Common.css and the page
didn't exit.
I went into edit mode and pasted exactly what you had on your link below
it is pasted between the lines of equal signs
I saved the page and went to a temp page and tried the multiplication
table and didn't get any style with it, just a plain table with no
borders or shades of grey.
I tried it with and without the beginning */ and ending /* that you had
in your box on that page.
Basically, below between the equal lines is exactly what I pasted when I
went into edit mode.
You have more than that on your page though, so I did try once and
viewed your source and copied all of that into mine and I got nothing.
The test showed up without any borders either.

~Eric

======================

*/

/* This resolves an issue with CSS not working correctly.  It must be
the first entry. */
thisneverworks {
}

table.wikitable, table.prettytable {
 margin: 1em 1em 1em 0;
 background: #f9f9f9;
 border: 1px #aaaaaa solid;
 border-collapse: collapse;
}

table.wikitable th, table.wikitable td, table.prettytable th,
table.prettytable td {
 border: 1px #aaaaaa solid;
 padding: 0.2em;
}

table.wikitable th, table.prettytable th {
 background: #f2f2f2;
 text-align: center;
}

table.wikitable caption, table.prettytable caption {
 margin-left: inherit;
 margin-right: inherit;
}

/*

========================

On 6/5/06, Frederich, Eric  P2173 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I visited your link but did not see how to edit Common.css from within
> the wiki.
> Just to be sure, this does go in wiki/skins/common/common.css right?

Visit MediaWiki:Common.css in your wiki.  Make the page if it doesn't
exist.  Copy the css content from my page into yours.  Then everything
should Just Work (tm).

The "thisneverworks" entry is required due to some wierd issue that I
can't comprehend.  =)

Re: wikitables

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 6/5/06, Frederich, Eric  P2173 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried it with and without the beginning */ and ending /* that you had
> in your box on that page.

Definitely try it without.  Then try control-F5 on your test page, or
clear your cache and re-load the page.

The text you copied is correct, and it ought to work just fine..

Re: wikitables

James Grimwood
On Monday 05 June 2006 16:03, Sy Ali wrote:
> On 6/5/06, Frederich, Eric  P2173 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I tried it with and without the beginning */ and ending /* that you had
> > in your box on that page.
>
> Definitely try it without.  Then try control-F5 on your test page, or
> clear your cache and re-load the page.
>
> The text you copied is correct, and it ought to work just fine..

Try also telling the wiki to purge its own cache of the page. Add
'?action=purge' to the end of the URL like this:

http://www.mywikisite.org/wiki/index.php/Some_Page?action=purge

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: wikitables

Frederich, Eric P21322
Okay, that seemed to work.
So I shouldn't have pasted anything into wiki/skins/common/common.css ?
Apparently it didn't do anything anyway.

On 6/5/06, Frederich, Eric  P2173 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried it with and without the beginning */ and ending /* that you
had
> in your box on that page.

Definitely try it without.  Then try control-F5 on your test page, or
clear your cache and re-load the page.

The text you copied is correct, and it ought to work just fine..

Re: wikitables

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 6/5/06, Frederich, Eric  P2173 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Okay, that seemed to work.
> So I shouldn't have pasted anything into wiki/skins/common/common.css ?
> Apparently it didn't do anything anyway.

>From what I understand, you can put the information into _either_
wiki/skins/common/common.css or MediaWiki:Common.css .. but
MediaWiki:Common.css is the better choice, since you can update your
MediaWiki installation and it isn't overwritten.  =)

Good to hear it worked out in the end.