wikitrends

Ed Summers
I imagine something like this has already been done before, but I
thought I would mention it as a curiosity:

    Wikitrends
    http://inkdroid.org/wikitrends/

Wikitrends is a display of the top 25 view articles on English
Wikipedia in the latest hour. It relies on stats that Wikimedia make
available [1]. If you hover over the article you should get the
article summary (courtesy of the MediaWiki API), and there are canned
search links of realtime Google and Twitter and Facebook search if you
want to look at what people might be saying about the topic.

I put the code up on Github [2] and wrote a brief blog entry about the
process of putting the app together. The punchline that I was trying
to work up to is that it is truly wonderful that Wikimedia makes an
effort to make its data assets available on the Web, both via an API
and as bulk downloads. It is a great role model for other
organizations and institutions.

Thanks!
//Ed

[1] http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-raw/
[2] http://inkdroid.org/edsu/wikitrends/
[3] http://inkdroid.org/journal/2012/02/21/nodb/

Re: wikitrends

erikzachte
Awesome!

Followed by the obligatory "Could you please also ...." ;-)

In this case the dots stand for "add pages other Wikipedia wikis, ideally
also for other sister projects?"
All data are in the same file you use already.

Best, Erik Zachte

Re: wikitrends

Ed Summers
Yes, this is clearly something that needs to be done :-) Would it be
best to have a drop down that lets you select the project? I think
jumbling them all together would make things a bit less interesting.

//Ed

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Erik Zachte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Awesome!
>
> Followed by the obligatory "Could you please also ...." ;-)
>
> In this case the dots stand for "add pages other Wikipedia wikis, ideally
> also for other sister projects?"
> All data are in the same file you use already.
>
> Best, Erik Zachte

James Salsman-2
Ed,

Please consider asking Johan Gunnarsson <[hidden email]>
to collaborate with you. He did something similar (with the same name)
in 2008 which you can see at: http://toolserver.org/~johang/wikitrends

Best regards,
James Salsman

> Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:01:28 -0500
> From: Ed Summers <[hidden email]>
> To: Research into Wikimedia content and communities
>        <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Wiki-research-l] wikitrends
>
> I imagine something like this has already been done before, but I thought I
> would mention it as a curiosity:
>
> Wikitrends
> http://inkdroid.org/wikitrends/
>
> Wikitrends is a display of the top 25 view articles on English Wikipedia in
> the latest hour. It relies on stats that Wikimedia make available [1]. If
> you hover over the article you should get the article summary (courtesy of
> the MediaWiki API), and there are canned search links of realtime Google and
> Twitter and Facebook search if you want to look at what people might be
> saying about the topic.
>
> I put the code up on Github [2] and wrote a brief blog entry about the
> process of putting the app together. The punchline that I was trying to work
> up to is that it is truly wonderful that Wikimedia makes an effort to make
> its data assets available on the Web, both via an API and as bulk downloads.
> It is a great role model for other organizations and institutions.
>
> Thanks!
> //Ed
>
> [1] http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-raw/
> [2] http://inkdroid.org/edsu/wikitrends/
> [3] http://inkdroid.org/journal/2012/02/21/nodb/

Re: wikitrends

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
Perhaps you want to add some graphs to your site. There are free javascript libraries for that (for example: Flot/Flotr), I use them here http://toolserver.org/~emijrp/wmcharts/ (bars, lines, charts...)

Thanks for sharing your code (mine is available too).

2012/2/21 Ed Summers <[hidden email]>
I imagine something like this has already been done before, but I
thought I would mention it as a curiosity:

   Wikitrends
   http://inkdroid.org/wikitrends/

Wikitrends is a display of the top 25 view articles on English
Wikipedia in the latest hour. It relies on stats that Wikimedia make
available [1]. If you hover over the article you should get the
article summary (courtesy of the MediaWiki API), and there are canned
search links of realtime Google and Twitter and Facebook search if you
want to look at what people might be saying about the topic.

I put the code up on Github [2] and wrote a brief blog entry about the
process of putting the app together. The punchline that I was trying
to work up to is that it is truly wonderful that Wikimedia makes an
effort to make its data assets available on the Web, both via an API
and as bulk downloads. It is a great role model for other
organizations and institutions.

Thanks!
//Ed

[1] http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-raw/
[2] http://inkdroid.org/edsu/wikitrends/
[3] http://inkdroid.org/journal/2012/02/21/nodb/

Re: wikitrends

erikzachte
> Yes, this is clearly something that needs to be done :-)

Totally cool!

> I think jumbling them all together would make things a bit less
interesting.

I agree.

> Would it be best to have a drop down that lets you select the project?

A drop down for 280 Wikipedia's would be somewhat hard to navigate.

What about a front page with all major projects
(Commons,Wikibooks,Wikinews,Wikipedia,Wikiquote,Wikisource,Wikiversity,Wikti
onary,Other projects)
sorted by name or total requests in the past hour, each linking to an
overview page for one project.

On that second page (or below that first list) you could list all languages
for that project, sortable by name or by total requests in the past hour,
each linking to a page like you have now.

Instead of a long sortable table you could have a swappable index, like e.g.
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/PlotsPngEditHistoryAll.htm

Erik