wikivoyage.com

Neil Harris
I visited en.wikivoyage.com by mistake, and dicocvered that
en.wikivoyage.com appears to serve up Wikivoyage-old's content, but from
188.40.41.16, which whois identifies as being in the netblock
HETZNER-RZ10 operated by Hetzner Online AG.

The wikivoyage.com domain itself has a last-modified date of 2012-10-14.

Even more puzzlingly, the PTR record for 188.40.41.16 currently points
to wikivoyage.org.

Can anyone cast any light on this?  Is this officially sanctioned by the
wikivoyage/Wikimedia communities?

Neil

Re: wikivoyage.com

Sébastien Santoro
Hello,

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Neil Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I visited en.wikivoyage.com by mistake, and dicocvered that
> en.wikivoyage.com appears to serve up Wikivoyage-old's content, but from
> 188.40.41.16, which whois identifies as being in the netblock HETZNER-RZ10
> operated by Hetzner Online AG.
I guess this should be the wikivoyage eV servers.

> (...)

> Even more puzzlingly, the PTR record for 188.40.41.16 currently points to
> wikivoyage.org.
This is probably the legacy configuration from wikivoyage eV servers.

Note PTR isn't involved in the process to redirect web requests from
domain name to the server, only A records (or AAAA in IPv6 world).

> Can anyone cast any light on this?  Is this officially sanctioned by the
> wikivoyage/Wikimedia communities?
So in a nutshell, Wikivoyage were hosted on Wikivoyage eV servers and
it seems they registered wikivoyage.com too.

This domain hasn't been involved in the transfer operation.

You can contact Stefan Fussan at [hidden email] (I'm ccing
this mail) to get more information about that.

What would you suggest exactly? Than wikivoyage.com is transfered to
the fundation and redirect to wikivoyage.org, like we do with
wikipedia.com?

--
Best Regards,
Sébastien Santoro aka Dereckson

Re: wikivoyage.com

Federico Leva (Nemo)
In the meanwhile, in such cases, it's useful to add the domain to
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Live_mirrors and also to the Internal
wiki relevant page
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=747627&oldid=441648 (or
whatever page replaced it).

Nemo

Re: wikivoyage.com

Platonides
On 27/11/12 12:45, Sébastien Santoro wrote:
> What would you suggest exactly? Than wikivoyage.com is transfered to
> the fundation and redirect to wikivoyage.org, like we do with
> wikipedia.com?

That seems the appropiate route.

Re: wikivoyage.com

Erik Moeller-4
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 27/11/12 12:45, Sébastien Santoro wrote:
>> What would you suggest exactly? Than wikivoyage.com is transfered to
>> the fundation and redirect to wikivoyage.org, like we do with
>> wikipedia.com?
>
> That seems the appropiate route.

They only recently acquired the domain and there's still a transfer
lock on it. It currently incorrectly points to the -old site; I've
requested that they change this but it's not been done yet.

Erik

--
Erik Möller

Re: wikivoyage.com

Tim Starling-2
On 28/11/12 08:52, Erik Moeller wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 27/11/12 12:45, Sébastien Santoro wrote:
>>> What would you suggest exactly? Than wikivoyage.com is transfered to
>>> the fundation and redirect to wikivoyage.org, like we do with
>>> wikipedia.com?
>>
>> That seems the appropiate route.
>
> They only recently acquired the domain and there's still a transfer
> lock on it. It currently incorrectly points to the -old site; I've
> requested that they change this but it's not been done yet.

They could set it up to use our nameservers (ns0, ns1 and ns2
.wikimedia.org), then we could manage its subdomains ourselves.

-- Tim Starling

Re: wikivoyage.com

Neil Harris
On 27/11/12 11:45, Sébastien Santoro wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Neil Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I visited en.wikivoyage.com by mistake, and dicocvered that
>> en.wikivoyage.com appears to serve up Wikivoyage-old's content, but from
>> 188.40.41.16, which whois identifies as being in the netblock HETZNER-RZ10
>> operated by Hetzner Online AG.
> I guess this should be the wikivoyage eV servers.
>
>> (...)
>> Even more puzzlingly, the PTR record for 188.40.41.16 currently points to
>> wikivoyage.org.
> This is probably the legacy configuration from wikivoyage eV servers.

Ah. That would make sense, and explains the PTR record.
> Note PTR isn't involved in the process to redirect web requests from
> domain name to the server, only A records (or AAAA in IPv6 world).

Yes, I know this. ;)

>> Can anyone cast any light on this?  Is this officially sanctioned by the
>> wikivoyage/Wikimedia communities?
> So in a nutshell, Wikivoyage were hosted on Wikivoyage eV servers and
> it seems they registered wikivoyage.com too.
>
> This domain hasn't been involved in the transfer operation.
>
> You can contact Stefan Fussan at [hidden email] (I'm ccing
> this mail) to get more information about that.
>
> What would you suggest exactly? Than wikivoyage.com is transfered to
> the fundation and redirect to wikivoyage.org, like we do with
> wikipedia.com?

Yes, that all makes sense, and your suggestion seems to me to be the
best way to proceed.

I can't see any problem here, given the above.

Thanks for clarifying things,

Neil

Re: wikivoyage.com

Bináris
Will Wikivoyage be under SUL? If so, when?
--
Bináris

Re: wikivoyage.com

Sébastien Santoro
Hello,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Bináris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Will Wikivoyage be under SUL? If so, when?

Wikivoyage is already under SUL.

2012/11/28 Sébastien Santoro <[hidden email]>

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Bináris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Will Wikivoyage be under SUL? If so, when?
>
> Wikivoyage is already under SUL.

You are right, my fault was to come from .com. It works when using .org
directly.

Bináris

Re: wikivoyage.com

Erik Moeller-4
This should now be fixed, updates may take a while to propagate.
(wikivoyage.com will redirect to .org.)

Cheers,
Erik
--
Erik Möller

Re: wikivoyage.com

Neil Harris
On 29/11/12 23:34, Erik Moeller wrote:
> This should now be fixed, updates may take a while to propagate.
> (wikivoyage.com will redirect to .org.)
>
> Cheers,
> Erik

Very nearly...

http://wikivoyage.com/

currently gives me a page saying:

> [Wikimedia Foundation logo]
>
> Domain not configured
>
> This domain points to a Wikimedia Foundation server, but is not
> configured on this server.
> That’s all we know.

Cheers,

-- Neil

Re: wikivoyage.com

Jeremy Baron
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Neil Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://wikivoyage.com/
>
> currently gives me a page saying:
>
>> [Wikimedia Foundation logo]
>>
>> Domain not configured
>>
>> This domain points to a Wikimedia Foundation server, but is not configured
>> on this server.
>> That’s all we know.

Confirmed, I get the same body you pasted. Headers are below.

-Jeremy

$ curl -vs wikivoyage.com
* About to connect() to wikivoyage.com port 80 (#0)
*   Trying 208.80.152.219... connected
* Connected to wikivoyage.com (208.80.152.219) port 80 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: wikivoyage.com
> Accept: */*

< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:15:09 GMT
< Server: Apache
< Last-Modified: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 19:20:14 GMT
< ETag: "36b-4c8f943a2d780"
< Accept-Ranges: bytes
< Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Re: wikivoyage.com

Katie Chan
On 30/11/2012 00:30, Jeremy Baron wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Neil Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://wikivoyage.com/
>>
>> currently gives me a page saying:
>>
>>> [Wikimedia Foundation logo]
>>>
>>> Domain not configured
>>>
>>> This domain points to a Wikimedia Foundation server, but is not configured
>>> on this server.
>>> That’s all we know.
>
> Confirmed, I get the same body you pasted. Headers are below.

Works over here. May have been fixed between your email and now.

KTC

     - Heinrich Heine

Re: wikivoyage.com

Daniel Zahn-2

we just added this to our DNS this afternoon, before it was still
pointing to the old servers. Must have cached it exactly between me
adding it to DNS
and right before adding the Apache config. It should work now. Hit
"shift + reload" in your browser to make
sure it is not locally cached. Addtionally i purged the URL from our
Squid cache.

Best regards,

Daniel

Re: wikivoyage.com

Neil Harris
On 30/11/12 01:04, Daniel Zahn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we just added this to our DNS this afternoon, before it was still
> pointing to the old servers. Must have cached it exactly between me
> adding it to DNS
> and right before adding the Apache config. It should work now. Hit
> "shift + reload" in your browser to make
> sure it is not locally cached. Addtionally i purged the URL from our
> Squid cache.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Daniel

It works for me now.