www.wikimedia.co.nr

Asher Heimermann-2
I just set-up www.wikimedia.co.nr.

  It should take a day or two to be live.

  Feel free to send feedback!

Re: www.wikimedia.co.nr

Lorenzarius
Thank you for securing the domain name! But may I ask how do you plan
to do with it, a redirect to www.wikimedia.org or...? And perhaps you
would like to transfer the domain to the Wikimedia Foundation?

--Lorenzarius

--
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lorenzarius
Tel: +852 95825791

Re: www.wikimedia.co.nr

Lorenzarius
Hmmm I just checked and it says the domain is not in their database
which means that it has not been registered yet? Anyway isn't that a
"free" domain redirection service? There are plenty other similar
services out there, should we bother with them at all? Interestingly
wikipedia.co.nr is banned by the service provider because the
registrant broke their term of service.

--
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lorenzarius
Tel: +852 95825791

Re: www.wikimedia.co.nr

Jon Harald Søby
.co.nr is a redirect service only, yes. There are seven valid
subdomains of .nr (see http://cenpac.net.nr/). .co.nr is just a
redirect service like cjb.net or dot.tk.

On 10/15/06, Lawrence Lo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmm I just checked and it says the domain is not in their database
> which means that it has not been registered yet? Anyway isn't that a
> "free" domain redirection service? There are plenty other similar
> services out there, should we bother with them at all? Interestingly
> wikipedia.co.nr is banned by the service provider because the
> registrant broke their term of service.
>
> --Lorenzarius
>
> On 10/16/06, Friends Club Committee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I just set-up www.wikimedia.co.nr.
> >
> >   It should take a day or two to be live.
> >
> >   Feel free to send feedback!
> --
> http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lorenzarius
> Tel: +852 95825791

Best regards,
Jon Harald Søby

Website - http://www.alqualonde.com/
Wikipedia - http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruker:Jhs
MSN messenger - [hidden email]
Skype - jon.harald.soby

Re: www.wikimedia.co.nr

Asher Heimermann-2
I will be setting up 3 domain redirects for Wiki.

  www.wikinews.tk
  www.wikibooks.tk
  www.wikiquote.tk

  They should be working by Tuesday for sure.

On 10/15/06, Lawrence Lo wrote:

> Hmmm I just checked and it says the domain is not in their database
> which means that it has not been registered yet? Anyway isn't that a
> "free" domain redirection service? There are plenty other similar
> services out there, should we bother with them at all? Interestingly
> wikipedia.co.nr is banned by the service provider because the
> registrant broke their term of service.
>
> --Lorenzarius
>
> On 10/16/06, Friends Club Committee wrote:
> > I just set-up www.wikimedia.co.nr.
> >
> > It should take a day or two to be live.
> >
> > Feel free to send feedback!
> --
> http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lorenzarius
> Tel: +852 95825791

Best regards,
Jon Harald Søby

Website - http://www.alqualonde.com/
Wikipedia - http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruker:Jhs
MSN messenger - [hidden email]
Skype - jon.harald.soby

Re: www.wikimedia.co.nr

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
Will they be framed, or simple redirected?

On 16/10/06, Friends Club Committee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I will be setting up 3 domain redirects for Wiki.
>
>  www.wikinews.tk
>  www.wikibooks.tk
>  www.wikiquote.tk
>
>  They should be working by Tuesday for sure.
>

> Jon Harald Søby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  .co.nr is a redirect service only, yes. There are seven valid
> subdomains of .nr (see http://cenpac.net.nr/). .co.nr is just a
> redirect service like cjb.net or dot.tk.
>
> On 10/15/06, Lawrence Lo wrote:
> > Hmmm I just checked and it says the domain is not in their database
> > which means that it has not been registered yet? Anyway isn't that a
> > "free" domain redirection service? There are plenty other similar
> > services out there, should we bother with them at all? Interestingly
> > wikipedia.co.nr is banned by the service provider because the
> > registrant broke their term of service.
> >
> > --Lorenzarius
> >
> > On 10/16/06, Friends Club Committee wrote:
> > > I just set-up www.wikimedia.co.nr.
> > >
> > > It should take a day or two to be live.
> > >
> > > Feel free to send feedback!
> > --
> > http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lorenzarius
> > Tel: +852 95825791

> Best regards,
> Jon Harald Søby
>
> Website - http://www.alqualonde.com/
> Wikipedia - http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruker:Jhs
> MSN messenger - [hidden email]
> Skype - jon.harald.soby

        —Xyrael / Sean Whitton ~ Knowledge is power, but only wisdom is liberty
                [hidden email] | xyrael.net

Re: www.wikimedia.co.nr

Delphine Ménard
On 10/17/06, Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Will they be framed, or simple redirected?

I strongly advise anyone possessing a TLD domain that they wish to
redirect to the Wikimedia projects to put up a very simple page along
the lines of:

"You are probably looking for the xxxx language edition of [insert
name of project here]. Please update your bookmarks and follow this
link to find the original [link to project]"

in whatever language is appropriate, of course.

A redirect has many disadvantages:

1) most redirects through the registrar will mask the actual real
address of the project
2) other redirects do not make it clear for the person who typed the
address in, at any time, that this is not the real address to the
project and not the address they should be typing in.
3) If people get used to using a false address, they will also jump to
the conclusion that the person holding the domain is somewhat
responsible for the content they land on.

Believe me, you do not want to go that route.

In any case, it should be very clear for the visitor that the domain
is *not* the right way to get to any of Wikimedia projects. Or at
least that it is a longer way than typing the real address directly
in. This goes for any domain friendly held that wish to redirect to
the projects. Follow that simple rule, and we'll all sleep better :-).

Cheers,

Delphine
--
~notafish

Re: www.wikimedia.co.nr

Angela-5
On 10/18/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 10/17/06, Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I strongly advise anyone possessing a TLD domain that they wish to
> redirect to the Wikimedia projects to put up a very simple page along
> the lines of:
>
> "You are probably looking for the xxxx language edition of [insert
> name of project here]. Please update your bookmarks and follow this
> link to find the original [link to project]"

Wikimedia.org.au is a redirect until the Australian chapter is doing
enough work to require a separate wiki. For now, that work is on meta.
It will become the "real URL" once we've got more going on.

Angela.

Re: www.wikimedia.co.nr

Delphine Ménard
On 10/17/06, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/18/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 10/17/06, Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I strongly advise anyone possessing a TLD domain that they wish to
> > redirect to the Wikimedia projects to put up a very simple page along
> > the lines of:
> >
> > "You are probably looking for the xxxx language edition of [insert
> > name of project here]. Please update your bookmarks and follow this
> > link to find the original [link to project]"
>
> Wikimedia.org.au is a redirect until the Australian chapter is doing
> enough work to require a separate wiki. For now, that work is on meta.
> It will become the "real URL" once we've got more going on.

I would say it is even more critical for wiki*m*edia.xx domains to
*not* redirect directly to projects. The solution chosen by the
Australians (redirect to meta) is a good compromise solution for those
domains in the mean time. Another solution would be to redirect to
www.wikimedia.org.

Delphine

--
~notafish

Re: www.wikimedia.co.nr

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Wikiversity is missing at www.wikimedia.org.. Somebody with the rights
skills may want to rectify this :)
Thanks,
    GerardM

Delphine Ménard wrote:

> On 10/17/06, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 10/18/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 10/17/06, Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I strongly advise anyone possessing a TLD domain that they wish to
>>> redirect to the Wikimedia projects to put up a very simple page along
>>> the lines of:
>>>
>>> "You are probably looking for the xxxx language edition of [insert
>>> name of project here]. Please update your bookmarks and follow this
>>> link to find the original [link to project]"
>>>
>> Wikimedia.org.au is a redirect until the Australian chapter is doing
>> enough work to require a separate wiki. For now, that work is on meta.
>> It will become the "real URL" once we've got more going on.
>>

> I would say it is even more critical for wiki*m*edia.xx domains to
> *not* redirect directly to projects. The solution chosen by the
> Australians (redirect to meta) is a good compromise solution for those
> domains in the mean time. Another solution would be to redirect to
> www.wikimedia.org.
>
> Delphine

www.wikportal.tk

Asher Heimermann-2
www.wikiportal.tk is live and will redirect to www.wikimedia.com.

Re: www.wikportal.tk

Michael Bimmler
On 10/19/06, ROSC Club Director <[hidden email]> wrote:
> www.wikiportal.tk is live and will redirect to www.wikimedia.com.

As www.wikimedia.com redirects to wikimedia.org, it might be a good
idea to directly redirect to wikimedia.org (hint: Wikimedia Foundation
is non-profit, .com is for "commercial")
Michael