xkcd's map of the internet

phoebe ayers-3
xkcd's updated somewhat-but-not-strictly-scientific map of social
communities, where the size of website "territories" is determined by
the size of their userbase & activity, is out:
http://xkcd.com/802/

a) it's hilarious
b) look at how tiny wikimedia talk pages are!

cf 2007 where we were a whole archipelago: http://xkcd.com/256/.
However, the 2nd map is based on "activity" rather than simply number
of users. Also note this is relative size compared to other websites.

Ethan Bloch did an update also that has Wikipedia as being
substantially larger, which uses "estimated number of users":
http://www.flowtown.com/blog/the-2010-social-networking-map

-- phoebe

<at> gmail.com *

Re: xkcd's map of the internet

Nathan Awrich
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> xkcd's updated somewhat-but-not-strictly-scientific map of social
> communities, where the size of website "territories" is determined by
> the size of their userbase & activity, is out:
> http://xkcd.com/802/
>
> a) it's hilarious
> b) look at how tiny wikimedia talk pages are!
>
> cf 2007 where we were a whole archipelago: http://xkcd.com/256/.
> However, the 2nd map is based on "activity" rather than simply number
> of users. Also note this is relative size compared to other websites.
>
> Ethan Bloch did an update also that has Wikipedia as being
> substantially larger, which uses "estimated number of users":
> http://www.flowtown.com/blog/the-2010-social-networking-map
>
> -- phoebe

Pretty neat; maybe porn isn't on the map because there is a continent
devoted to it somewhere else. Not surprised that Wikimedia is small -
as a "social network" we're pretty tiny, if you don't include readers.

Re: xkcd's map of the internet

Amory Meltzer
>social communities

I think most would argue that porn is inherently anti-social.  I don't see a
lot of social communities made up of just one person (probably half of IRC).

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Amory Meltzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>social communities
>
> I think most would argue that porn is inherently anti-social.  I don't see a
> lot of social communities made up of just one person (probably half of IRC).

That's a good point, but it does include YouTube, and much of the porn
"universe" these days revolves around file-sharing and adult versions
of YouTube.[1] It also includes the New York Times and other sites
where user-participation is still more of an afterthought, and calling
them "communities" is sort of a stretch.

[1] http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hHa_9L1Rwp6lLcVg8mJzB-PBroXg
(Agence France Press)

Re: xkcd's map of the internet

David Goodman
At the NYT and similar sites, I notice a pattern where the are are a
few readers who rather frequently comment on more than a single
article, and consequently  get to know each other, though not
necessarily in a favorable sense.  .

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Amory Meltzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>social communities
>>
>> I think most would argue that porn is inherently anti-social.  I don't see a
>> lot of social communities made up of just one person (probably half of IRC).
>>

> That's a good point, but it does include YouTube, and much of the porn
> "universe" these days revolves around file-sharing and adult versions
> of YouTube.[1] It also includes the New York Times and other sites
> where user-participation is still more of an afterthought, and calling
> them "communities" is sort of a stretch.
>
> [1] http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hHa_9L1Rwp6lLcVg8mJzB-PBroXg
> (Agence France Press)

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.

Re: xkcd's map of the internet

Federico Leva (Nemo)
phoebe ayers, 06/10/2010 17:43:
> b) look at how tiny wikimedia talk pages are!

Did he consider Project namespace (RfD, RfA...) and so on, or only
namespace 1? In the Troll bay there's also xkcd which is almost as big
as Wikipedia talk: a bit suspicious.
Anyway, you're not considering that the map area is only a small bay
near "email" nation, and we have a consistent part of that one. :-p

Nemo

Re: xkcd's map of the internet

Florence Devouard-3
On 10/6/10 5:43 PM, phoebe ayers wrote:
> xkcd's updated somewhat-but-not-strictly-scientific map of social
> communities, where the size of website "territories" is determined by
> the size of their userbase&  activity, is out:
> http://xkcd.com/802/
>
> a) it's hilarious
> b) look at how tiny wikimedia talk pages are!

Ok, maybe that's just me.... but I could not find us ! Where are we ?
(north west ? south east ? )

> cf 2007 where we were a whole archipelago: http://xkcd.com/256/.
> However, the 2nd map is based on "activity" rather than simply number
> of users. Also note this is relative size compared to other websites.
>
> Ethan Bloch did an update also that has Wikipedia as being
> substantially larger, which uses "estimated number of users":
> http://www.flowtown.com/blog/the-2010-social-networking-map

I can not help feel proud by the size of the "social networking"
activity of the French wikipedia. We talk a lot :)

ant

> -- phoebe

Re: xkcd's map of the internet

Svip
On 7 October 2010 00:44, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, maybe that's just me.... but I could not find us ! Where are we ?
> (north west ? south east ? )

Between Troll Bay and Sea of Memes.

Heh, that felt silly to say.

Re: xkcd's map of the internet

Christophe Henner
In Wikimedia trolls are memes. So we're at our rightful place :)

Christophe

On 10/7/10 12:52 AM, Svip wrote:
> On 7 October 2010 00:44, Florence Devouard<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Ok, maybe that's just me.... but I could not find us ! Where are we ?
>> (north west ? south east ? )
>
> Between Troll Bay and Sea of Memes.
>
> Heh, that felt silly to say.

ouarf. Well, yeah, that's good news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not

He got it right !

Re: xkcd's map of the internet

Ziko van Dijk
Actually, my favorite is this one: Godwin's law:
http://xkcd.com/261/

Ziko

2010/10/7 Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>:

> On 10/7/10 12:52 AM, Svip wrote:
>> On 7 October 2010 00:44, Florence Devouard<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, maybe that's just me.... but I could not find us ! Where are we ?
>>> (north west ? south east ? )
>>
>> Between Troll Bay and Sea of Memes.
>>
>> Heh, that felt silly to say.
>
> ouarf. Well, yeah, that's good news.