zahlen, zahlen for pr ....

rupert.thurner-2
hi,

i am preparing mails for organizations who could donate money to help
the initial foundation and maybe also cover running cost.

for facilitating this some numbers would be great:
 * number of wikipedia editors out of switzerland
 * number of edits they make on the wikis of the different languages
 * number of pages they monitor on the wikis of the different languages
 * number of pages they created
 * number of page hits on pages with swiss related content
   especially country, cities, regions, mountains, ...
   on the wikis in different languages

do we have something like this, or it is more an illusion?

rupert.

Re: zahlen, zahlen for pr ....

Frédéric Schütz
[hidden email] wrote:

> for facilitating this some numbers would be great:
>  * number of wikipedia editors out of switzerland
>  * number of edits they make on the wikis of the different languages
>  * number of pages they monitor on the wikis of the different languages
>  * number of pages they created
>  * number of page hits on pages with swiss related content
>    especially country, cities, regions, mountains, ...
>    on the wikis in different languages
>
> do we have something like this, or it is more an illusion?

Definitively an illusion, at least for the editor information... there
is no way to get these numbers, since editing is basically anonymous on
all wikis. The number of pages they monitor is probably a clear "no-no",
even if we knew who they are.

As for the page hits, I have not looked into that in a long time, but it
is probably more likely that you'll be able to find something of
interest there.

Frédéric

Re: zahlen, zahlen for pr ....

Jürg Wolf
Hi Rupert

A good entry point for researches like this is
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:Benutzer_aus_der_Schweiz and its
subcategories.

Via the "Benutzerbeiträge"
(http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial:Contributions/[Username] ) you can easily
check their activities and how many of these users are active and how many
articles they wrote. By using a script you can get this informations easily.

The numbers of monitored pages is not possible because of "Datenschutz" and a
hitlist is not in action anymore due to high server load of this statistic.

But you can evaluate the number of pages to swiss related topics by scanning in
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Filzstift/wikisign.org to the string
"<!-- schweizbezogen -->" or by catscan using
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~daniel/WikiSense/CategoryIntersect.php?wikilang=de&wikifam=.wikipedia.org&basecat=Schweiz&basedeep=8&mode=cs&tagcat=&tagdeep=3&go=Scannen&userlang=de

All these hints are related only to the german pages - I hope the french
Wikipedia has similar entry points.

Jürg
--
Zitat von [hidden email]:

> hi,
>
> i am preparing mails for organizations who could donate money to help
> the initial foundation and maybe also cover running cost.
>
> for facilitating this some numbers would be great:
>  * number of wikipedia editors out of switzerland
>  * number of edits they make on the wikis of the different languages
>  * number of pages they monitor on the wikis of the different languages
>  * number of pages they created
>  * number of page hits on pages with swiss related content
>    especially country, cities, regions, mountains, ...
>    on the wikis in different languages
>
> do we have something like this, or it is more an illusion?
>
> rupert.

Re: zahlen, zahlen for pr ....

Michael Bimmler
On 5/1/06, Jürg Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rupert
>
> A good entry point for researches like this is
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:Benutzer_aus_der_Schweiz and its
> subcategories.
>
> Via the "Benutzerbeiträge"
> (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial:Contributions/[Username] ) you can easily
> check their activities and how many of these users are active and how many
> articles they wrote. By using a script you can get this informations easily.

There is also Kate's Editcounter tool (amongst others, namely
Interiot's tool), however they are at the moment not updated, due to
(tool-)server reasons.See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Edit_counter
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~kate/cgi-bin/count_edits?user=&dbname=enwiki_p
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~interiot/cgi-bin/count_edits?user=&dbname=enwiki_p
Regards
Michael

> The numbers of monitored pages is not possible because of "Datenschutz" and a
> hitlist is not in action anymore due to high server load of this statistic.
>
> But you can evaluate the number of pages to swiss related topics by scanning in
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Filzstift/wikisign.org to the string
> "<!-- schweizbezogen -->" or by catscan using
> http://tools.wikimedia.de/~daniel/WikiSense/CategoryIntersect.php?wikilang=de&wikifam=.wikipedia.org&basecat=Schweiz&basedeep=8&mode=cs&tagcat=&tagdeep=3&go=Scannen&userlang=de
>
> All these hints are related only to the german pages - I hope the french
> Wikipedia has similar entry points.
>
> Jürg
> --
> Zitat von [hidden email]:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > i am preparing mails for organizations who could donate money to help
> > the initial foundation and maybe also cover running cost.
> >
> > for facilitating this some numbers would be great:
> >  * number of wikipedia editors out of switzerland
> >  * number of edits they make on the wikis of the different languages
> >  * number of pages they monitor on the wikis of the different languages
> >  * number of pages they created
> >  * number of page hits on pages with swiss related content
> >    especially country, cities, regions, mountains, ...
> >    on the wikis in different languages
> >
> > do we have something like this, or it is more an illusion?
> >
> > rupert.

Regards
Michael Bimmler

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: zahlen, zahlen for pr ....

Frédéric Schütz
Jürg Wolf wrote:

> A good entry point for researches like this is
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:Benutzer_aus_der_Schweiz and its
> subcategories.

Don't forget, however, that this is based on a voluntary categorisation
by the editor. I don't know how many of them does it on
de.wikipedia.org, but I quickly checked a few Swiss editors on
en.wikipedia.org, and none of them is in such a category. I have not
looked too much into it, however, because the servers are crawling at
the moment. Don't know about fr.w.o, but any statistic based on these
category will obligatorily underestimate the number of users (it can
still be useful as a lower bound, of course).

> But you can evaluate the number of pages to swiss related topics by scanning in
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Filzstift/wikisign.org to the string
> "<!-- schweizbezogen -->" or by catscan using
> http://tools.wikimedia.de/~daniel/WikiSense/CategoryIntersect.php?wikilang=de&wikifam=.wikipedia.org&basecat=Schweiz&basedeep=8&mode=cs&tagcat=&tagdeep=3&go=Scannen&userlang=de

On en.w.o, the categorisation of Swiss topics is pretty good, so
starting from Category:Switzerland and looking at the sub categories
should give a good indication about the number of Swiss-related topics.
Don't know about the number of hits, though.

Frédéric